• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

London 2012

I'm not so sure.
If it's anything like the Sevens at the Commonwealth games it'll just feel like a poor man's Sevens Series stage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to seeing 7s in the mix, but I'm not expecting it to be a highlight of the Olympics.

Agreed, it will be played in front of half empty stadiums like most of the football games, it will definitely be a fringe sport rather than one of the main events. Rio is going to have a huge job being better than London. London was all around the coolest olympics I've seen, wish I could have been there I'm sure it was awesome.

Tx, London. I've started saving toward visitng for RWC 2015 because of this year's olympics.

Cynics, go **** yourselves.

This was the Olympics that raised a middle finger to anyone that ever doubted London, anyone that ever doubted the UK, and anyone who ever doubted sport.

For me it's been characterised by three things. One is obvious - London. My city is buzzing more than usual, full of happy locals and awestruck tourists - this is the greatest city in the world, we all know it, and for those that didn't, we just showed them.

The second is spirit. The manufactured Britain of the tabloid press, the X Factor, Westminster MPs and Premiership football that is obsessed with self-promotion and snide fakery has disappeared blissfully down the toilet where it belongs, for two whole glorious weeks. In its place is the Britain we've seen at London 2012, one where we've shown genuine emotion as we've experienced the simple pleasure that skill, talent and hard work can bring - and in many cases, the simple pleasure of seeing somebody else's pride in their own achievement.

Steve Cram's wonderful impassioned commentary of Farah's 5000m finish, Denise Lewis' reaction to his victory, Steve Redgrave at the rowing, Chad le Clos' father... I could go on. Genuine emotions that showed how much people care for the values of the Olympic Movement. Those bemoaning the cost or the location fail to see the bigger picture, that the Olympics was never just about 7 years of preparation from a British perspective - it's about a continuing movement that brings the world together to celebrate a set of values I for one agree with.

The third thing that has characterised the games for me has been the many tasteful touches that we've seen. Usain Bolt doing the Mobot as he crossed the line, aware of the rapturous British audience. The NHS, our greatest and most under-appreciated invention, being paid tribute to in the opening ceremony. The French team at the closing ceremony waving double-sided Tricolour/Union flags. Kirani James making the point of swapping nameplates with Oscar Pistorius. So many more.

It's not been particularly fun being British over recent years. Recession coupled with dreadful popular culture coupled with dreadful politicians coupled with a doom-obsessed media has made the country thoroughly depressing. Maybe the wonderful sport, good will and positivity exhibited at these games can show us there's a different outlook for us to take. I hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did!

Agree with all of that. London 2012 surpassed my expectations by a long way, with the only negatives being the security and crowd issues at the very start, although both went away very quickly.

Before it started I felt that a few more sports could have travelled a little around the UK, but keeping the majority of the games in London worked very well. I still feel the mountain biking could have been staged at one of the centres in Wales which boast some of the best tracks in the UK, if not the world. Afan Valley in South Wales is easily accessible, and the mature tracks would have been better for the riders I'm sure. I've ridden on newly built tracks (Machynlleth), and the loose stone/shale can be extremely slippery. In contrast the tracks at Betws Y Coed for instance are some 20years old and have bedded in very well which gave me much, much more confidence. One benefit of the purpose built track at the Olympics was that it was very open, giving television viewers great pictures, and easy access to much of the track for spectators. It still looked like an extremely boring course to me, lacking the elements that really make mountain biking fun. Where were the fireroads, the fast singletrack etc?

Anyway, minor points. Overall these Olympics were the best I've personally seen. The success of the British team certainly helped there.

Bloody knew Jake Harper from two and a half men was doping in the women's shotput.

Well the olympics is over...

I probably won't be posting until NH rugby gets interesting again.

(Not that I don't watch SH rugby it's more that I don't watch enough of it to have a valid opinion)

Love the sig cmac:
Fancy footwork, completely misses the punch and almost falls over :lol:

Love the sig cmac:
Fancy footwork, completely misses the punch and almost falls over :lol:

He continued to get caught on the ropes and get hit with about five clean punches, you should follow him on twitter he has used #mullingarshuffle in every tweet since the fight and has linked this gif three times.

The European Cuba of Amateur Boxing is our new tagline apparently.

Bloody knew Jake Harper from two and a half men was doping in the women's shotput.

Nadezhda-Ostapchuk-Reacts-120806G640.jpg

I personally was shocked. Who would have thought that a 'woman' that looked like that would be on anabolic steriods? ;)

Anyways, that makes it 6 golds for New Zealand - a great effort from us, especially considering Australia only got 7!

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-font-charset:78; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1107305727 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1073743103 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:JA;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:JA;} @page WordSection1 {size:595.0pt 842.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style>

We all had our suspicions about her. Kind of like the Henry match fixing thing. I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt but can not say I'm too shocked.

Nadezhda-Ostapchuk-Reacts-120806G640.jpg

I personally was shocked. Who would have thought that a 'woman' that looked like that would be on anabolic steriods? ;)

Anyways, that makes it 6 golds for New Zealand - a great effort from us, especially considering Australia only got 7!

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-font-charset:78; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1107305727 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1073743103 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:JA;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:JA;} @page WordSection1 {size:595.0pt 842.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style>

Breaking Belarus' shotput champion Shane Byrne has been disqualified for use of prohibited substances. Shaggy, why?

great that it's come out, something obviously bizarre was going on

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/7473643/Ostapchuks-cheating-clear-for-all-to-see

Phil Gifford basically tells it like it is. She's been beaten by Adams for a long time now goes away somewhere in her native land and somehow finds a massive boost in performance is tested clean but only in her homeland. both samples she provided at the Olympics were dirty

Val is amazing, she is arguable NZ's greatest sportswoman, a rare mix of natural talent and drive. It's such a shame this whole thing has tarnished what should be her greatest achievement to date.

I really hope when the gold is returned that it can be awarded to her some fitting way.

She will then be in line to go to Rio and win a third gold, stamp her name in world sporting history.

great that it's come out, something obviously bizarre was going on

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/7473643/Ostapchuks-cheating-clear-for-all-to-see

Phil Gifford basically tells it like it is. She's been beaten by Adams for a long time now goes away somewhere in her native land and somehow finds a massive boost in performance is tested clean but only in her homeland. both samples she provided at the Olympics were dirty

Val is amazing, she is arguable NZ's greatest sportswoman, a rare mix of natural talent and drive. It's such a shame this whole thing has tarnished what should be her greatest achievement to date.

I really hope when the gold is returned that it can be awarded to her some fitting way.

She will then be in line to go to Rio and win a third gold, stamp her name in world sporting history.
There is this logic to mull over though:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10826795

Mislabelled vial maybe? Hard case that she knows about the steroids and that they're easily detectable. Phill Gifford's article is so biased too he acts as though he is a doping expert. She probably did dope up but you would think they would use HGH or some other designer anabolic steroid.

Supposedly that's what happened to Ben Johnson, he had tried the stuff he tested positively for previously so had used other gear instead. He admits to using drugs but not the kind he tested positive for; he claims a tainted drink in the testing room got him whereas some experts reckon it was a mislabelled vial or whatever they store it in.

Latest posts