• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

London 2012

Yeah, there are times when double posting makes more sense than just editing, usually when you're making a new point that may have been missed by someone who has already read your previous entry.

I don't so much have a problem with the occasional bit of double-posting, as when a few matches are going one thread can be bumped down pretty quickly.
Triple posting is worse. Or perhaps the dreaded quadruple post.

No suppose you don't.

You might think so, but you don't check every time when you want to update a score to see if your previous post is still the final one in the thread.

It's called refresh and check back, but then it's hard to do that.

I'm kind of jealous in some ways and Not so much in other ways.

In one way it is brilliant that you get so many medals it's no big deal but if Ireland had that Katie Taylor's gold wouldn't have been as good and I wouldn't be as disappointed that Nevin lost and I wouldn't be jumping around the living room every time an Irish boxer takes to the ring.

Well Katie Taylor was immense, Nevin on another day could well have taken the Gold. Just unlucky.

No suppose you don't.

It's called refresh and check back, but then it's hard to do that.

Well Katie Taylor was immense, Nevin on another day could well have taken the Gold. Just unlucky.

Katie Taylor would have been our answer to Mo Farrah or Jessica Ennis so I might b wrong in someways as well. Both GB and Ireland have had brilliant olympics so far and between them have picked up some of the highlights. I'm going to miss it so much next week. :D

Katie Taylor would have been our answer to Mo Farrah or Jessica Ennis so I might b wrong in someways as well. Both GB and Ireland have had brilliant olympics so far and between them have picked up some of the highlights. I'm going to miss it so much next week. :D

I concur.

Loads of people on Facebook saying things like "LOL Olympics can't even get Harry's name right, who the f*** is Prince HENRY?!?!"

Makes me want to put my head through the monitor.

Well I am shocked. You'll tell me people behave like idiots on Twitter next...

Biggest joke that One Direction were allowed to preform.

To be honest I like One Direction...

gay-walrus-meme.jpg

OK, I did omit a line from your post...

That was odd, crap, funny, crap, different and crap all at the same time.

I liked it, in general.
A lot of crap (Muse, I'm looking at you) but then Eric Idle + Morris Dancers pretty much settled the night as a success.

I thought it was a good closing ceremony. Yes a bit of drivel with some of the music ... Jessie J with Queen in particular but overall a fantastic night. Rio 2016 ... you got a lot to live up to.

Would have preferered Peter Gabriel (neither present nor broadcasted in the opening ceremony) to the Spicegirls...

Last edited:
Cynics, go **** yourselves.

This was the Olympics that raised a middle finger to anyone that ever doubted London, anyone that ever doubted the UK, and anyone who ever doubted sport.

For me it's been characterised by three things. One is obvious - London. My city is buzzing more than usual, full of happy locals and awestruck tourists - this is the greatest city in the world, we all know it, and for those that didn't, we just showed them.

The second is spirit. The manufactured Britain of the tabloid press, the X Factor, Westminster MPs and Premiership football that is obsessed with self-promotion and snide fakery has disappeared blissfully down the toilet where it belongs, for two whole glorious weeks. In its place is the Britain we've seen at London 2012, one where we've shown genuine emotion as we've experienced the simple pleasure that skill, talent and hard work can bring - and in many cases, the simple pleasure of seeing somebody else's pride in their own achievement.

Steve Cram's wonderful impassioned commentary of Farah's 5000m finish, Denise Lewis' reaction to his victory, Steve Redgrave at the rowing, Chad le Clos' father... I could go on. Genuine emotions that showed how much people care for the values of the Olympic Movement. Those bemoaning the cost or the location fail to see the bigger picture, that the Olympics was never just about 7 years of preparation from a British perspective - it's about a continuing movement that brings the world together to celebrate a set of values I for one agree with.

The third thing that has characterised the games for me has been the many tasteful touches that we've seen. Usain Bolt doing the Mobot as he crossed the line, aware of the rapturous British audience. The NHS, our greatest and most under-appreciated invention, being paid tribute to in the opening ceremony. The French team at the closing ceremony waving double-sided Tricolour/Union flags. Kirani James making the point of swapping nameplates with Oscar Pistorius. So many more.

It's not been particularly fun being British over recent years. Recession coupled with dreadful popular culture coupled with dreadful politicians coupled with a doom-obsessed media has made the country thoroughly depressing. Maybe the wonderful sport, good will and positivity exhibited at these games can show us there's a different outlook for us to take. I hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did!

Cynics, go **** yourselves.

This was the Olympics that raised a middle finger to anyone that ever doubted London, anyone that ever doubted the UK, and anyone who ever doubted sport.

For me it's been characterised by three things. One is obvious - London. My city is buzzing more than usual, full of happy locals and awestruck tourists - this is the greatest city in the world, we all know it, and for those that didn't, we just showed them.

The second is spirit. The manufactured Britain of the tabloid press, the X Factor, Westminster MPs and Premiership football that is obsessed with self-promotion and snide fakery has disappeared blissfully down the toilet where it belongs, for two whole glorious weeks. In its place is the Britain we've seen at London 2012, one where we've shown genuine emotion as we've experienced the simple pleasure that skill, talent and hard work can bring - and in many cases, the simple pleasure of seeing somebody else's pride in their own achievement.

Steve Cram's wonderful impassioned commentary of Farah's 5000m finish, Denise Lewis' reaction to his victory, Steve Redgrave at the rowing, Chad le Clos' father... I could go on. Genuine emotions that showed how much people care for the values of the Olympic Movement. Those bemoaning the cost or the location fail to see the bigger picture, that the Olympics was never just about 7 years of preparation from a British perspective - it's about a continuing movement that brings the world together to celebrate a set of values I for one agree with.

The third thing that has characterised the games for me has been the many tasteful touches that we've seen. Usain Bolt doing the Mobot as he crossed the line, aware of the rapturous British audience. The NHS, our greatest and most under-appreciated invention, being paid tribute to in the opening ceremony. The French team at the closing ceremony waving double-sided Tricolour/Union flags. Kirani James making the point of swapping nameplates with Oscar Pistorius. So many more.

It's not been particularly fun being British over recent years. Recession coupled with dreadful popular culture coupled with dreadful politicians coupled with a doom-obsessed media has made the country thoroughly depressing. Maybe the wonderful sport, good will and positivity exhibited at these games can show us there's a different outlook for us to take. I hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did!
False - the best city in the world is Hamil-Tron, NZ - city of the future bro.

They've got one street and gardens and everything. Even thumbs too. :p

Seriously though, good show by London. Apart from the security gaffe in the beginning, ithas been a smooth and entertaining games. Can't wait for rugby in Rio though. :D

For me one rugby match into the event Rio 2016 will surpass this one, not their fault they did alright with what they had.

I'm not so sure.
If it's anything like the Sevens at the Commonwealth games it'll just feel like a poor man's Sevens Series stage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to seeing 7s in the mix, but I'm not expecting it to be a highlight of the Olympics.

Latest posts