Loophole in Eligibility laws welcomed news for Pacific Island Nation

Tautahi

Academy Player
Country Flag
Tonga
Club or Nation
Auckland
Pacific Island nations may be more than just a threat in England next year

I have been following this since the inclusion of Rugby sevens into the Olympics. If your wondering what I'm talking about the Eligibility loophole it has created and in recent days it has been the talk in New Zealand concerning ex-ALL BLACKS. Well would explain more but just read this article and you'll have some insight into what the Pacific Islanders a Looking to bring to England. It's still early stages but good signs a showing.
http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/ex-all-blacks-confirm-pacific-island-switch-6039491

I welcome the changed eligibility laws in most instances as well. As a South African I can understand the point of view of the PI nations because we too have a lot of sports people play for other countries in particularly cricket and rugby and we at home and in the most cases they themselves still see them as South Africans.

Looks like Tonga might improve the most out of this, don't think it will make much of a difference for Fiji. Maybe Drauniniu who played sevens for England would be good

Last edited:
Apologies if this seems overly dismissive, but to me, the PI's main problem is player release and getting the squad together enough to create a cohesive squad, not player quality. A few more talented but not amazing players does not strike me as a game changer.

And, again, apologies, it seems more of a worry that PI players with strong family reasons for making the most financially of their rugby career might seek to change to the country they're playing professional rugby in than playing for the land of their birth. I certainly hope I'm wrong there.

Pacific islanders really do have good genetics for playing rugby, just a shame they have no financial clout

Looks like Tonga might improve the most out of this, don't think it will make much of a difference for Fiji. Maybe Drauniniu who played sevens for England would be good

Very true and if Samoa and Tonga could manage to get these players together as a real team we now have 3 'pools of death' as Argentina could very easily fall to Tonga and I think Scotland are probably behind Samoa as is in any case. That said, having hosts England, 3rd overall Aussie and arguably best of Europe over recent years Wales all in one pool still is kinda a ridiculous turn of events.

Apologies if this seems overly dismissive, but to me, the PI's main problem is player release and getting the squad together enough to create a cohesive squad, not player quality. A few more talented but not amazing players does not strike me as a game changer.

And, again, apologies, it seems more of a worry that PI players with strong family reasons for making the most financially of their rugby career might seek to change to the country they're playing professional rugby in than playing for the land of their birth. I certainly hope I'm wrong there.

Sad but true and particularly a problem for Fiji again more than the others I'd imagine.

This was brought up a few years ago - and it's bang on. It would be ridiculous to see Joe Rokocoko and Sitiveni Sivivatu run out for Fiji - and the reality is they have great wingers anyway, many of whom didn't get released by clubs in the last World Cup. Same for Tonga. They need resources and IRB support in terns of getting players released - not a quick boost of ex-All Blacks. I think I changing eligibility laws to allow teams to play for one nation would make international rugby meaningless for me.

I bought these pheasants from the butchers....I didn't steal them from your land.

I would post the "how hard is it to poach a goddamn egg properly" bit from Archer but I'm at work.....doing work and 100% not hanging out on TRF, honest.

Last edited:
I bought these pheasants from the butchers....I didn't steal them from your land.

yeah yeah, but come on man, we poach ! We just love poaching !! Truth be told, truth be old (I just came up with that and think it should be used in a number of future rap songs).
"Yeeahh, truth be told, truth be old......SON *in background "shieeeeeet"* totally sellable.

Now look you - them pheasants are for his pot. These eels are for my pot. Now what makes you think I should give you something for your pot?

Pacific islanders really do have good genetics for playing rugby, just a shame they have no financial clout

They're not too badly off. Many of their players are brought through the NZ system which is the worlds best at producing players. Getting time off from the clubs is a big problem for them. Once again highlights the need for unions to keep their players at home.

This was brought up a few years ago - and it's bang on. It would be ridiculous to see Joe Rokocoko and Sitiveni Sivivatu run out for Fiji - and the reality is they have great wingers anyway, many of whom didn't get released by clubs in the last World Cup. Same for Tonga. They need resources and IRB support in terns of getting players released - not a quick boost of ex-All Blacks. I think I changing eligibility laws to allow teams to play for one nation would make international rugby meaningless for me.

For me it depends on the individual. For instance I wouldn't mind seeing Chavanga represent Zimbabwe and closer to the topic here I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Masaga and at a push Toeava run out for a PI nation but, yes, someone who was a fixture for NZ like Sivivatu or Rokocoko would be a bit too much. I think rather than or at least on top of the 18 months they should have a control that looks at the amount of times a player represented another nation. Over 10 or more than 1 season for my money's worth means you are set.

They're not too badly off. Many of their players are brought through the NZ system which is the worlds best at producing players. Getting time off from the clubs is a big problem for them. Once again highlights the need for unions to keep their players at home.
Something the PI nations just wouldn't be able to do with their best in a free market unless they have SR teams based in NZ and/or Aus but that would be taking piggy-backing a tad too far.

Last edited:
Something the PI nations just wouldn't be able to do with their best in a free market unless they have SR teams based in NZ and/or Aus but that would be taking piggy-backing a tad too far.

Well that's what the proposed Singapore franchise is for - it should just be done after the Japanese one.

Singapore there for the PI players you mean?

That just reminds me what a screw up the next expansion of SR is going to be but I don't want to derail this thread. Really should have gone back to basics rather than continuing with the contortionist act... but anyway.

wait why is this merged with this ? my topic does not only relate with tonga nor the pacific isles i mean france and scotland/england too.

this has gotten onto my mind since the rumour off Steffon Armitage to play for France.

i really dont understand how this works. but there are new rumours that former All Blacks Anthony Tuitavake and Sam Tuitupou, as well as ex-Wallabies Mark Gerrard and Sitaleki Timani confirming they plan to appear for Tonga in the 2015 World Cup. All Blacks sevens representatives Alando Soakai, Lifeimi Mafi and Roy Kinikinilau have also confirmed they will switch allegiance to Tonga, While Tim Nanai-Williams will make the switch to Samoa.

Like im not saying this is a totally bad idea at all and i think its fair enough if someone is not playing for they're national side and wants to try to play for someone else.

by reading this article from the InTheLoose website

Tonga are going to have a very good team for the world cup and will be a threat and this also mean Scotland can maybe call up Brendan McKibbin if this thing is true.

The new eligibility laws mean that players can represent a second international side providing they haven’t turned out for their original team in the last 18 months and participate for their new nation in sevens qualifying for the 2016 Olympics as long as they hold a passport for that country.

Who would you like to see in your national team who had played for someone else and hasn't played for 18 months.

Forum Terms & Rules said:
10. Please do not use "txt-spk" when making posts. Everyone the world over agrees the world over that correct English is much easier to read, so let's maintain the standard. Plus, you don't have a character limit here like you do on a mobile phone, so it's not necessary

Please at least proof read before you post.

Latest posts