• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ma'afu earns call-up for Barbarians

F

Fushitsusha

I do believe this kid could become the best prop in Australia... he just needs to control his temper...

Ma'afu earns call-up for Barbarians

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Brumbies Media Unit

Salesi Ma'afu (Getty Images)

CA Brumbies front rower Salesi Ma’afu has been selected in the Barbarians squad to take on South Africa in the Gartmore Challenge at Twickenham on December 1.

The 24-year-old prop, who earned 10 Investec Super 14 caps for the CA Brumbies and represented Australia A in 2007, will join Italy’s Federico Pucciarello, South African Schalk Brits and the England duo of Mark Regan and Andrew Sheridan in the Barbarians front-row for the one-off match.

Ma’afu, who will also spend three weeks playing in Leicester before returning home, says he’s looking forward to the experience.

“This is a great opportunity for me and one I’m really excited about,†he said. “I’ve had some excellent coaching at the Brumbies but this is a good chance to get a different perspective, especially from someone like Andy Sheridan, who was so dominant during the World Cup.

“I haven’t played for four-and-a-half months so I’m really keen to get back onto the field and play some football before next year’s Super 14.â€

Ma’afu will join fellow Australians and former CA Brumbies Matt Giteau and Justin Harrison for the Springboks clash.

CA Brumbies head coach Laurie Fisher says the tour is a valuable development tool for the rising front rower.

“Salesi’s made excellent progress during his two years at the Brumbies but to have the opportunity to play against the World Cup Champions and train alongside someone like Andy Sheridan will only benefit him in the long-run,†he said.

“We also saw the opportunity for him to stay over there for an extra few weeks and get some additional football under his belt at Leicester in what is a very strong scrummaging culture.

“The World Cup again proved the importance of a strong set piece and we’ll be looking for guys like Salesi, Nic Henderson and Guy Shepherdson to give us that solid foundation to play from in 2008.â€

Barbarians v South Africa
Twickenham, London
Saturday, 1 December 2007

Barbarian Squad:

Backs
Jason Robinson (England), Joe Rokocoko (Blues & New Zealand), Isoa Neivua (Warriors & Fiji), Ben Cohen (England & British Isles), Conrad Smith (Hurricanes & New Zealand), Tom Shanklin (Cardiff Blues, Wales & British Isles), Ma'a Nonu (Hurricanes & New Zealand), Matt Giteau (Western Force & Australia), Peter Grant (Stormers), Justin Marshall (Ospreys & New Zealand)

Forwards
Andrew Sheridan (Sale Sharks, England & British Isles), Federico Pucciarello (Munster & Italy), Salesi Ma'afu (CA Brumbies), Mark Regan (Bristol Rugby, England & British Isles), Schalk Brits (Stormers), Brent Cockbain (Wales & British Isles), Justin Harrison (Ulster Rugby & Australia), Luke Charteris (Newport Gwent Dragons & Wales), Troy Flavell (Blues & New Zealand), Jerry Collins (Hurricanes & New Zealand), Martyn Williams (Cardiff Blues, Wales & British Isles), Rocky Elsom (Waratahs & Australia)

Will he get game time? [/b]
Its pretty much just an exhibition game, so if hes sitting on the bench then he'll more than likely get time on the field.

Its not like its a finals match of a tournament :)

I thought O'Driscoll was to captain and that Chabal would be playing...what happend to that?

I thought O'Driscoll was to captain and that Chabal would be playing...what happend to that? [/b]
YEAH! WHAT HAPPENED TO CHABAL???!!!

conspiracies abound...

<div class='quotemain'> I thought O'Driscoll was to captain and that Chabal would be playing...what happend to that? [/b]
YEAH! WHAT HAPPENED TO CHABAL???!!!

conspiracies abound...
[/b][/quote]

Yeah wtf????? I was creaming over the prospect of him teaming up with Collins. Rip off.

simple european clubs wont release their players. dont blame them after the pasting the welsh regions took this weekend

huh?? whats that got to do with anything.... theres quite a large representation of welshmen in the sqaud??

Latest posts