• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Barbarians vs. South Africa (05/11/2016)

What if JVR and RG Snyman is having a great game but they have to leave the squad to make place for DDA and Lood fir the rest of the tour. Surely a great performance has to be rewarded.

QUOTE=Jan1;822071]What if JVR and RG Snyman is having a great game but they have to leave the squad to make place for DDA and Lood fir the rest of the tour. Surely a great performance has to be rewarded.[/QUOTE]

These guys can beat the baabaas 100 - 0 and next week we will see all the old players again , performance does not count in SA rugby selection is as follows

Quota players
Stormers players
Old Stormers players
2007 heroes
Retired players
Vodacom cup level players
On form players

Next week DDA and Kriel will be centers. Carr at 6. Habanna and combrink the wings and Willie at 15.

These guys can beat the baabaas 100 - 0 and next week we will see all the old players again , performance does not count in SA rugby selection is as follows

Quota players
Stormers players
Old Stormers players
2007 heroes
Retired players
On form players

I don't think quota issues are affecting performances - plenty of white players have been playing kak too. I actually want us to select Frans Steyn who is a 2007 RWC hero - sadly he will never find a way back I suspect.

Last edited:
Next week DDA and Kriel will be centers. Carr at 6. Habanna and combrink the wings and Willie at 15.

I really hope this does not happen... I don't mind Combrinck and Kriel, but the rest I am not a fan of. Lets hope AC rewards players that play well in this match and uses them against England.

I really hope this does not happen... I don't mind Combrinck and Kriel, but the rest I am not a fan of. Lets hope AC rewards players that play well in this match and uses them against England.

Also like Combrink, I would like to see him at 15 and keep the current wings. Not a fan of Kriel. Maybe he wil be better from the bench cause he is quick and can cover 13, 14 and 15.

I don't think quota issues are affecting performances - plenty of white players have been playing kak too. I actually want us to select Frans Steyn who is a 2007 RWC hero - sadly he will never find a way back I suspect.

Not saying that the current black players are bad most deserve to be there only juan de jongh that should come nowhere near the bokke but what i am saying is that is how much they care about form players , i would also like Frans back at the bokke because he is in great form , but as i said form is at the bottom of the list , why pick Frans if you can pick a totaly out of form DDA it makes perfect sense !!!

- - - Updated - - -

This is sad but very true

Last edited:
QUOTE=Jan1;822071]What if JVR and RG Snyman is having a great game but they have to leave the squad to make place for DDA and Lood fir the rest of the tour. Surely a great performance has to be rewarded.

Quota players
Stormers players
Old Stormers players
2007 heroes
Retired players
On form players[/QUOTE]

Yea i can agree with this. It always seems to me that selections are premeditated. This might seem like common sense to pre plan who you are going to select but i feel they ( the coaching staff and the selectors) dont give enough leeway for players who are either on form or who has more talent.

They seem to pick based on what style of play they want to play exclusively with the addition of quotas and provincial favouratism ( the coach picks what he is familiar with).

An example. Instead of picking our best possible flyhalve vs NZ which was Goosen they pick a player in Morne Steyn that falls more into the plan they want but is clearly a weaker player currently than Goosen. Based on form and pure talent.
Francois Steyn is clearly our best centre. He offers positional versatility. Has a huge boot. Has that X factor. And he can easily get over the gain line. He does not get picked no reason has really been given. We suspect its because of disagreements with the rugby administrators.
Bismarck who is probably our best hooker gets left out because they want to focus on "Local" players. Fair enough. Argument justified.
But wait they go and pick his brother who is not even the best in his postition anymore and is also based overseas. They have picked random overseas players that some might consider sketchy. Vermeulens absence is basically the same thing happening with F.Steyn. He said something that the admins did not like and now in all likelyhood will face an international outcast until the selectors decide he has had enough punishment. AC has clearly been blooding in WP players slowly. Some of them is justified. If they are good and they know the coach and the coach knows them then all good. What does strike you though is how they pick players from clubs that are not starting like Bongi Mbonambi and Scarra Ntubeni. One of them starts and the other is a bench player but they are both black and they play for the Stormers so their inclusion when fit is guaranteed.

The point im trying to make is that regardless of what the stated intention is when selecting players for the springboks there is always hidden agendas that are satisfied before anything else like form and talent.

Last edited:
Who is coaching the Baabaas ?

EDIT: Never mind. Apparently, it's Robbie Deans.

Last edited:
Petersen is getting manhandled here.

Wonder if Greenwood fancies having a go at coaching full time.

Him and Deans are getting the baabaas backs to tick today.

Latest posts