• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Manawatu 2012

donmcdazzle

First XV
TRF Legend
Having a look at how the Turbos might be shaping up for this season. If Aaron Smith and Aaron Cruden are both AB's for the tri nations we might be struggling to cover them, they were a big part of last seasons success. We also have lost Johnny Leota and don't have too many midfielders to replace them. Jason Emery is going to sign which is good, it's a huge shame that Ngani Laumape has gone to league, he is a huge young guy and would be ready to go straight away for the turbos this season I'd say.

Second season for Milner-Skudder who showed some promise last year. The forwards I expect will be solid, the guys in super rugby will be better for it. I just worry about our inside backs if the Aaron's are out and the midfield.

Having a look at how the Turbos might be shaping up for this season. If Aaron Smith and Aaron Cruden are both AB's for the tri nations we might be struggling to cover them, they were a big part of last seasons success. We also have lost Johnny Leota and don't have too many midfielders to replace them. Jason Emery is going to sign which is good, it's a huge shame that Ngani Laumape has gone to league, he is a huge young guy and would be ready to go straight away for the turbos this season I'd say.

Second season for Milner-Skudder who showed some promise last year. The forwards I expect will be solid, the guys in super rugby will be better for it. I just worry about our inside backs if the Aaron's are out and the midfield.

Can't say I've even thought about this years ITM Cup yet (but then again I do support a pretty hopeless team). In terms of Manawatu I really have no idea who will step-up if the two Aarons are with the AB's (as they should be), as they have dominated the 9 and 10 jersey for the last few years. I remember Isaac Thomson looked pretty solid in the 10 jersey when he go the chance a couple of seasons ago, so he maybe an option at 10 (if he is still around). As you say they have the basis of a good forward pack - Fia has been very impressive with the Highlanders recently, as has Nick Crosswell, while the likes of Fitzgerald, Foreman, Oliver and Gosling are good players. Noy sure whether Tiejtens will be fit by then?

Not so sure about the backline if Smith and Cruden are out - Bryant and Tikirotimu will be a good mid-field, while Clare and Milner-Skudder are good options in the outside backs. Hard to say how they will go until they (and other teams) have been formally named.

Last edited:
I think the real strength of the turbo's has been how their forward pack work as a unit and with great energy, would be good if they can carry that on in a new coaching setup.

Wonder how the Turbos will go without Rennie,Smith and Cruden.....Have they signed any players

Wonder how the Turbos will go without Rennie,Smith and Cruden.....Have they signed any players

The coaching staff are the same crew who have been working with Rennie for a few years so I wouldn't expect a lot of changes in gameplay etc. forward pack is intact which is good, however lack of a decent halfback option is worrying. Karl Bryson probably isn't up to it. Isaac Thomson will most likely play 10; he has a good boot and can defend but isn't as dynamic as Cruden. Hopefully young Jason Emery gets a run in midfield. They have signed some supposed speed machine for the wing, that's all I know in the way of signings. There's another Fijian centre who has apparently been doing a bit of damage in club rugby so he may get a call up too.

The coaching staff are the same crew who have been working with Rennie for a few years so I wouldn't expect a lot of changes in gameplay etc. forward pack is intact which is good, however lack of a decent halfback option is worrying. Karl Bryson probably isn't up to it. Isaac Thomson will most likely play 10; he has a good boot and can defend but isn't as dynamic as Cruden. Hopefully young Jason Emery gets a run in midfield. They have signed some supposed speed machine for the wing, that's all I know in the way of signings. There's another Fijian centre who has apparently been doing a bit of damage in club rugby so he may get a call up too.

It sounds like Emery may even be considered at first-five, though the number of games he will be allowed to play will be limited due to his age. I see George Tilsley has been signed by Manawatu too - he is apparently very quick (was in the NZ Sevens team earlier this season), so he could well be a good option on one wing....

could this be a potential team

Polson
Foreman
Fia
Fitzgerald
Robinson
Croswell
Gibbins
Oliver
Bryson
Emery
Cama
Bryant
Tikoirotuma
Tilsley
Milne-Skudder

Te Moana
Stone
Gosling
Wharewera
Thompson
Marshall

Polson
Foreman
Fia
Fitzgerald
Robinson
Croswell
Gibbins
Oliver
Bryson
Emery
Cama
Bryant
Tikoirotuma
Tilsley
Milne-Skudder

Te Moana
Stone
Gosling
Wharewera
Thompson
Marshall

I'm far from an expert on Manawatu rugby, but I don't think that will be too far off. Is Doug Tietjens expected to be back at some stage, or is he out for the season?

Polson
Foreman
Fia
Fitzgerald
Robinson
Croswell
Gibbins
Oliver
Bryson
Emery
Cama
Bryant
Tikoirotuma
Tilsley
Milne-Skudder

Te Moana
Stone
Gosling
Wharewera
Thompson
Marshall

Looks about right. Hopefully Fraser Stone improves in the air so he can be a starter, brings a bit more around the park than Robinson, who is still very good in the air but is getting on a bit now (he played for the Vikings).

Whacking Emery straight into 10 might be a bit of an ask but I'm keen to see how he goes regardless. Bryson isn't the best halfback going around, I know there's a kid at palmy boys with big wraps on him at halfback so he might get a run or two (if you are allowed to field high school kids still).

Yeah Tilsley was the guy I was thinking of. Between he, Cama, Tiks and Milner-Skudder we have a potentially dangerous back 3 going on. Craig Clare may get a run somehwere too (if he can stay healthy), he is the most tinjury prone player ever but decent when he is fit.

Latest posts