• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tasman Makos 2012 squad

Shaggy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
... well, I looked, and couldn't see any thread for the Makos, so I thought I may as well have ago :D

2012 Tasman Makos squad

FORWARDS: Tim Perry - HARLEQUINS, Sam Prattley – WAIMEA OLD BOYS, Quentin MacDonald - CENTRAL, Francis Smith – MARIST, Campbell Johnston - STOKE, Tevita Cavubati – WAIMEA OLD BOYS, Riki Hoeata – WAIMEA OLD BOYS, Joe Wheeler - HARLEQUINS, Filipo Levi – MARIST AUCKLAND, Shane Christie - NELSON, Liam Squire - MARIST, Tevita Koloamatangi - STOKE, Vernon Fredericks - WAITOHI, Gary Redmond - MARIST, 1 x Forward – TBC BACKS: Steve Alfeld - NELSON, Jeremy Su'a - MARIST, Hayden Cripps - HARLEQUINS, Andrew Goodman (Captain) - NELSON, Kieron Fonotia - MARIST, Bryce Heem - WAITOHI, Mitchell Scott - NELSON, James Lowe – WAIMEA OLD BOYS, Tenina Sauileoge – PAPATOETOE AUCKLAND, Tom Marshall - NELSON, Robbie Malneek - NELSON

... Well, as far as the Makos go, the only way is up, after finishing last in the Championship competition.

The Makos have lost All Black prop Ben Franks but have signed former All Black prop campbell Johnstone on a one year contract, and also have attracked Samoan international Filipo Levi, and Fijian Tevita Cavubati (both locks). These players will hopefully provide a stable scrum and line out, with the scrum in particular, proving a problem last season.

The makos have also retained Crusaders hooker Quentin MacDonald, and fellow Crusader Joe Wheeler who looks to have overcome his injury problems.

In the backs, Crusaders utility back, Tom Marshall has also been retained, but is still carrying an injury, and is unlikely to feature in the early games.

Winger Peter Betham has been signed from the Waratahs, and youngsters Mitchell Scott, who was a New Zealand under 20's rep in 2011, and James Lowe, who narrowly missed New Zealand under 20's this year, plus New Zealand Sevens rep, Bryce Heem, Should provide plenty of pace.

The addition of Samoan half back Jeremy Su'a to complement veteran Steve Alfeld, and should provide some depth.

The pre-season games against Otago and the "Cantabrians" (a Canterbury trial side), were both convincing wins for the Makos, but they have also resulted in a few injury concerns, and whether theses games are indicators that the Makos can repeat last years win over Canterbury in game one, or there chances in their Ranfurly Shield challange against Taranaki in game two, are debatable.

Looking at the match schedule, there aren't really any easy matches for the mighty Makos, but I'd expect that they pick up a few wins, and probably finish mid table ... grabbing the Ranfurly shield would be great too :D

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how Tasman goes this season - they have looked very good in the pre-season thus far, but that isn't always a good indication of how teams will go in the regular season.

Good to see you mentioned Tasman's outside backs, as they really stood out versus Otago, and could be a real strength for Tasman this season. James Lowe is capable of playing centre and wing, but looks better suited to centre than wing to me. He is a massive powerful guy - just checked his profile on the Tasman site and he is listed at 1.86m and 105kg which seems about right - but I'm not sure of his pace. Betham looks to be a great pickup - he is another big guy, but seems to have extreme pace, and he cut through the Otago defense with ease a couple of times in the pre-season match. Scott also impressed, and Heem is another big guy who is top quality at this level - the biggest issue the selectors will have is deciding who to leave out (especially as I haven't even mentioned Tom Marshall!) I'm also looking forward to seeing Jordan Taufua (who has been loaned by Canterbury) playing for Tasman this season at number 8, as he showed at Under 20 level he is a incredibly powerful ball runner.

I think Tasman's biggest weakness is at 10. James Marshall has done a good job there in recent seasons, but with him transferring to Taranaki there is a bit of a gap there. Robbie Malneek is one option, but he is really just a makeshift option (as he is usually a fullback), while the other main option is Hayden Cripps, who is very inexperienced at this level. If Tom Marshall gets back to full fitness he may well be an option at 10....

Just being a bit pedantic but Mitchell Scott was in NZ U20s last year :p
I hope Taufua gets plenty of game time. I was worried he wouldn't be up to any level of rugby above ITM Cup as he is very short (relative to other No.8 options) but apparently he is a very good jumper and is considered a lineout option.

Just being a bit pedantic but Mitchell Scott was in NZ U20s last year :p
I hope Taufua gets plenty of game time. I was worried he wouldn't be up to any level of rugby above ITM Cup as he is very short (relative to other No.8 options) but apparently he is a very good jumper and is considered a lineout option.

Quite right about Mitchell Scott, my old brain just didn't get the maths right (I knew he was in NZ's last U20 world champion side) ... anyway, I've corrected that now :)

... I'll definitely look out for Taufua too

Darwin, I was reading that Hayden Cripps had a pretty good showing in one of the pre-season games ... you're probably right, in that they may use Marshall (when fit) at 10, and use Malneek at 15.

My main worry is with the squad depth - the quick turn around of games really exposed this last year

... Looking forward to seeing a few games and the old home town on telly again :D

Quite right about Mitchell Scott, my old brain just didn't get the maths right (I knew he was in NZ's last U20 world champion side) ... anyway, I've corrected that now :)

... I'll definitely look out for Taufua too

Darwin, I was reading that Hayden Cripps had a pretty good showing in one of the pre-season games ... you're probably right, in that they may use Marshall (when fit) at 10, and use Malneek at 15.

My main worry is with the squad depth - the quick turn around of games really exposed this last year

... Looking forward to seeing a few games and the old home town on telly again :D

He looked very good when he came off the bench against Otago - though I think he can give a lot of credit to Otago's defense! 2-3 times he got the ball at first receiver from a set-piece and simply ran through a massive hole in Otago's 9/10 channel. He certainly looks to have a few skills, I'm just a bit worried about his lack of experience at this level.

Latest posts