Mahonri Schwalger (Chiefs) - Hooker
Mark Selwyn (Manurewa) - Loose forward
Sherwin Stowers (Ardmore Marist) - Outside back
Matt Talaese (Manurewa) - Prop
Maka Tatafu (Waiuku) - Prop
Suliasi Taufalele (Ardmore Marist) - Hooker
Jimmy Tupou (Patumahoe) - Loose forward/Lock
Ahsee Tuala (Manurewa) - Utility back

Looks like counties should be a good team to watch this season, with plenty of good ball runners in the backline. I'd go with something like this as my match-day 23:

Outside of Schwalger and Lemalu the front row looks very average, so I'd expect teams to target them up front. They have plenty of athletic locks to choose from, but there is a bit of a worry that they may play a bit loose: Adongo, Raaymakers, and Tupou are all at least (if not more) comfortable at 6 as they are at lock. I would expect Chipman will start at no. 4, with 2 out Adongo, Raaymakers, and Tupou filling the 5 and 6 jerseys - at least they will have plenty of height at lineout time! Selwyn vs Forbes is a 50/50 call for the 7 jersey, with the player missing out on starting probably getting 20-30 mins off the bench.

Not quite sure what to do with the backline. Pulu and Kerr are good players at this level, but there is not much after them if one gets injured (or subbed...). There is an abundance of talent in the outside backs, so I've ended up with Tuala on the bench, which is probably a bit of a waste! The other options would be to start Nanai-Williams at 12 (with Tuala at fullback / on the wing with Stowers at fullback), or start Stowers or Tuala in the 13 jersey (though I'm not sure if they have any experience here). It will be interesting to see what the coaches do....

Last edited:
I would go with

11 Stowers
12 Aki
13 Halai
14 Tuala
15 Nanai Williams

Deadly backline

I would go with

11 Stowers
12 Aki
13 Halai
14 Tuala
15 Nanai Williams

Deadly backline

That is probably an option, but with Halai at centre would Stowers, Tuala, and Nanai-Williams get any ball?

Last edited:
I'd possibly go with Nanai-Williams at 12 but the backline in the OP looks good, too. Only change I'd make is Tupou at 6 and Raaymakers at 5. From what I've heard, Adongo is pretty average. Apparently he used to be a back and they've been trying to teach him to be a forward. If what I've heard is correct, he made some progress at the Sharks but when the Bulls signed him he played 1 Vodacom Cup game and then got dropped.
Also, if what I've heard is true he struggles to catch the ball and doesn't know where to position himself on the field. Judging by his size, you'd expect him to be a physical runner but he looks more like a centre. Perhaps we can make something of him, though. He still has potential but I guess he could do with a bit of coaching.

I'd possibly go with Nanai-Williams at 12 but the backline in the OP looks good, too. Only change I'd make is Tupou at 6 and Raaymakers at 5. From what I've heard, Adongo is pretty average. Apparently he used to be a back and they've been trying to teach him to be a forward. If what I've heard is correct, he made some progress at the Sharks but when the Bulls signed him he played 1 Vodacom Cup game and then got dropped.
Also, if what I've heard is true he struggles to catch the ball and doesn't know where to position himself on the field. Judging by his size, you'd expect him to be a physical runner but he looks more like a centre. Perhaps we can make something of him, though. He still has potential but I guess he could do with a bit of coaching.

I had that initially too, but then changed my mind. As you say it will be very interesting to see how Adongo goes!

Thought DJ Forbes was going to become a fulltime 7's player and give 15's away

Don't think there are any 7's players in New Zealand who turn down playing in the ITM Cup. There pretty much no 7's tournaments running during it.

And I heard he got three tries in that one game, so who knows.