Tana Umaga signs Daniel Adongo for Counties Manukau

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Bulls forward Daniel Adongo, hailed in some South African quarters as the 'Black Sonny Bill', is likely to head to New Zealand to link up with the Counties-Manukau Steelers.

South African media has reported he is heading to New Zealand to play under the former All Blacks captain.

Steelers coach Tana Umaga has seen the promising 23-year-old Kenyan born forward in action before, and is carefully putting together a roster that will look to make a statement during the ITM Cup.

Adongo was brought to Pretoria by current Springboks coach Heyneke Meyer, part of a famed talent identification program that enabled the Bulls to reign supreme during the Investec Super 14 era – winning three championships over that time.

The versatile forward, who can play in the second or back row, appeared to be set up to become something of a poster boy for the Bulls, with the strapping Adongo weighing nearly 115kg despite being in excellent condition.

Expected to be a key player in the Bulls 2012 Investec Super Rugby season, Adongo has not played regularly for the franchise, and his departure comes after CJ Stander announced he was leaving for Munster.

Current Bulls coach Frans Ludeke told the Pretoria News losing such promising players wasn't ideal, but understood that other opportunities were always "You never want to lose players with that much ability but one can understand that in both cases it is about playing opportunities and the financial benefits for both of them," he said.

"At the Bulls we have released so many guys in the past and they have come back (with the highest profile being Victor Matfield). We will stay in touch, follow their progress and hopefully they will come back."

http://www.allblacks.com/news/19871/Umaga-snares-Counties-a-Bulls-forward

Interesting signing. Can't say I've seen much of him, but he looks like a beast. Wonder if he's looking to get into NZ rugby as a permanent thing, would be cool if he did.

Meh, He looks like a beast, but hasn't really impressed me at all in the Vodacom Cup or Varsity Cup games that I've seen him play. He has a lot of speed for such big guy, but he lacks some skills. The Black Sonny Bill? pfft!

In less than 12 months from Durban to Pretoria only to end up in Pukekohe...

Supersport think with Stander leaving, letting Adongo go was a terrible decision from the Bulls and there were issues from the relationship between Adongo and the coaches, and the Kenyan was poorly treated.

It mentions that Adongo was very impressive when given a chance for the Blue Bulls, but was then ditched to the bench straight after scoring a hat trick in his first game for the Bulls.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/sa-rugby/news/120710/Bulls_throw_Adongo_away

I considered his move to Pretoria to be a good one. The Sharks have 5 Springboks and the experienced Botes to battle for 3 spots in the back-row. The Bulls have the average Stegmann, Dewald Potgieter and Stander. The latter moves to Ireland, Gerrit-Jan van Velze is moving, which leaves only Spies and Jacques Potgieter to be the incumbent players in the back-row. Adongo could have easily replaced Stegmann/D. Potgieter and add some true strength to the back-row, but now he is moving overseas. Oh well, I hope he will show his skills for Counties.

Strange... I wonder if there was any interest from Europe. Unless only 2nd division clubs in England and France were willing to sign him you'd think that his career would be better off there.

The only reason South African players move to Japan or Europe is money. I think for a guy like Adongo, the climate in New Zealand is better suited for him compared to England/Wales/Ireland for instance.

The ITM Cup in it's new format is quite interesting. Having foreign players with the provincial sides will bring some diversity.

The climate in the south of France is much more like Kenya than wet old NZ...

The main reason is probably the draw of "playing and improving in NZ" and quality coaching.

Yeah, but I didn't want to start a whole NH/SH debate by saying the level of rugby in NZ is better than it is in Europe so I just decided to throw in the climate as a factor in the decision ;)

Well he's only 23 years old, so he has time to develop. Probably a wise move in the long term. The ITM cup is mainly a developmental comp so he will prob get some game time.

From what I have gathered, he is quick and powerful, but terrible under the highball.
Vision issues is what one chap on Keo has brought up...

Wasn't a bad thing, just weird this will be his 3rd club in less than a year.

Certainly an interesting signing. He should get plenty of opportunities to start at Counties, but I'm not sure yet what position they will use him in.

Just seen the Mo Schwalger has signed with Counties for this season too...

Latest posts