• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Marshall leaves Ospreys - nobody cares...

I suspect him to go to Japan to play!!! They like has been's of New Zealand Rugby... [/b]

Yet almost no-one wants has-beens of English Rugby, unless an U-12 side doesn't have a coach.

Whether you like him or not the guy was a fantastic scrum half, even this year his performance for the Ospreys against my club Gloucester was superb. He will go down as one of the all time great ALL blacks

<div class='quotemain'> So much for superior NH rugby. ;) [/b]

Definitely...not. Ospreys ditching an old has-been because they have home grown stregnth in depth at scrum-half actually ;)

I think it says more about the SH that they don't want to take back an experienced guy to help nurture the next generation...
[/b][/quote]

Why should we take him back? The old git has been talking crap about the SH comps while he's been prancing around up North.

Bugger that, none of our next generation players would listen to such a fool, he'd only mislead them anyway.

Whether you like him or not the guy was a fantastic scrum half, even this year his performance for the Ospreys against my club Gloucester was superb. He will go down as one of the all time great ALL blacks
[/b]

Yes he will but he's far from being our best. Graeme Bachop for example was MILES better than him but he'll never get the respect Marshall gets. Just not fair.

I can never decide if Marshall has been as good for the Ospreys as people say. Maybe I've only watched him in games where he hasn't performed. Undoubtedly quality though. Ospreys could do with hanging on to him mainly for his experience and what he can teach the youngsters like Rhys Webb (Mike Phillips might not appreciate Marshall teaching him anything)

Marshall hasn't been great for us this season, he's had the odd exceptional game, notably Gloucester in the HEC where he was immense, but other than that he's been pretty anonymous. In the 1/4s v Sarries he was flipping awful (then again, who wasn't :angry: ) and by the end of the season you could just see he was getting increasingly frustrated be it with team performances, managerial tactics or insane reffing decisions.
Watching him at the Liberty last year as the season was drawing to a close I was seriously wondering how on earth this guy had managed to get 80+ All Black caps.
That said I'd still want him in the squad next year as after Phillips we only have Rhys Webb (why we let Roberts go to the Turks to keep this clown I'll never know); and perhaps his hunger for European success will drive him on for one last quality, consistent season.

I remember Marshall and van der Westhuizen had some epic battles back in the day, I also remember that Joost would come out tops most of the time

Was this the same Joost who became a lazy bugger and fled to Japan to live the high life of only playing between September and December?

EDIT: Now I think of it, I think the Bokke Shogun/lazy fart I'm thinking of played at fly half..?

Was this the same Joost who became a lazy bugger and fled to Japan to live the high life of only playing between September and December?

EDIT: Now I think of it, I think the Bokke Shogun/lazy fart I'm thinking of played at fly half..?
[/b]
Yes that would be Jaco you are referring to. That other one is one of the best South African scrum halves ever.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
Yes that would be Jaco you are referring to. That other one is one of the best South African scrum halves ever.
[/b][/quote]
THE best South African scrumhalf ever, and one the best international scrumhalves ever ;)

Ahhhhhhhh, my apologies then. I hope Joost gives Jaco a kick in the head if he gets back from the land of the rising sun...

Whether you like him or not the guy was a fantastic scrum half, even this year his performance for the Ospreys against my club Gloucester was superb. He will go down as one of the all time great ALL blacks [/b]

Bullshit, he only lasted so long because there was no one else, and he wouldn't even got a start at his local Rugby Club, let alone for Canterbury and the All Blacks if Bachop hadn't gone to Japan at the end of 95, there was a reason John Hart preety much got on his hands and knees and preety much begged for him to be allowed to pick Bachop when he first got appointed coach in 96.

Well, I did not saw many Ospreys game this year but I can tell you that his old contender Byron Kelleher has been huge for Toulouse. He's been vital all the season and despite he he was just OK in the H-Cup Final, he was awesome in the Top 14 one. He will probably be crowned player of the year by the way. Certainly not an has been who wants to make some cash before retiring !

Latest posts