• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Martin O'Neill resigns as Aston Villa manager

Johnson is a poor defender. Anyone who watched England at the World Cup would know that, or even prior to that since Johnson's incapabilities as a defender have been known for some time. He is positionally poor as well and that showed glaringly at the World Cup but Barry took a lot of crap for one instance.

On another note, I believe the fee for Aquilani was 20 million Euros with possible add-ons which would increase it, if he were to fulfill certain clauses. That is pretty high for a player who has now gone on loan to Juventus after struggling with injury and adapting to the PL. A bit of an impulse replacement buy if you ask me (for Alonso obviously).

On O'Neill, I believe the reason he resigned was the fact that he was having what he believed as his job as a manager being interfered with by the owners. In that situation what can a manager really do? After all, owners such as Lerner are only in it to make a profit on their investment. O'Neill's stance on Milner's, at the time, impending sale was not mirrored by Lerner and O'Neill probably felt it wasn't in the best interests of the club to be selling him on to another mid to possible high table rival.

A lot of papers are saying that Gerard Houillier is getting the Villa job. Not only that but he's bringing in Steve Staunton as one of his assistants. I bet Stephen "Grannygate" Ireland will love that.

Wrong - the Aquilani transfer fee was heavily weighed to installments.

Ha lads if Staunton is involved in any management team at Villa I will worry for them

Have you got a link confirming this?

http://www.asroma.it/UserFiles/988.pdf

* €5m upfront
* €3m by 4th January 2010
* €7m by June 30th 2010
* €5m by June 30th 2011.

Base transfer fee = €20m/£18m

Further Add ons include:

* €300k for every year Liverpool qualify for the CL from 2010/11 to 2014/15.

* €250k every time the player reaches 35 appearancs; 70 appearances; 105 appeances and then 140 appearances.

* €1m the first time Liverpool either wins the Premier League or Champions League by 30 June 2014.

* 5% of any future transfer fee paid to Roma.

Most transfers are done in installments. Man City are probably the exception in that they like paying the bulk of the fee up front.

Correct. But even they will pay installments I imagine.

JC (and I would like you to consider a name change please as a few people have complained) says we paid £20m - we won't because he'll have gone to Juve by that date.

I'd forgotten Houllier was even alive.

For Jesus, I reckon that's poor play on your part. Houllier is an inadequate replacement. I think they saw his name and thought "Let's just get him". I think Villa have had their time and now O'Neill has gone, I think it'll get much worse at Villa Park before it gets better.

Latest posts