• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Mass clearout

I think this is one of best examples to apply the saying "be careful what you wish for".

In the beginning they wanted a Saffa prop and a Saffa scrumhalf there, and now they have a freaking invasion!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but will this result in Sarries becoming a Northern Hemisphere training ground for some of the younger Saffa players? If it is, then it's going to have detrimental effects on the Noah Cato's of the world who might be coming through the academy.

Just selfish and stupid on the owners front really, why would you get rid of a player like Chris Jack? Any news on who the other players are and whether there is going to be a reaction to it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nick_w @ Feb 25 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but will this result in Sarries becoming a Northern Hemisphere training ground for some of the younger Saffa players? If it is, then it's going to have detrimental effects on the Noah Cato's of the world who might be coming through the academy.

Just selfish and stupid on the owners front really, why would you get rid of a player like Chris Jack? Any news on who the other players are and whether there is going to be a reaction to it?[/b]

Sorry, just seen the list

Our team next year *in a best case scenario*:

1. Mercey
2. Rallepelle
3. Mtawarira
4. Botha
5. Borthwick
6. van Heerden
7. Saull
8. Spies
9. de Kock
10. Steyn
11. Cato
12. Barritt
13. Powell
14. Chavhanga
15. Goode

if not

1. van Faatboi
2. van Baaldee
3. van Pyman
4. van Lankie
5. van Borthwick
6. van Heerden
7. van Apartheid
8. van Rajsist
9. van de Kock
10. van Biltong
11. Shitoffashovelunga
12. van Barritt
13. van Braai
14. Nveryfastkwe
15. van Balshaw :eek:

All I can say is:

733833~Dude-Where-s-My-Car-Posters.jpg

Except replace "car" with "TEAM"...

There is a fair amount of rage amongst fans at the moment.

EDIT: We are getting a lot of support from the South West of London in the form of very concerned Quins fans!

Here's an alternative, partially tongue in cheek view of what's happening at Saracens:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The initial reaction to news that a horde of South Africans are to take over Saracens in the Guinness Premier has to be WHY?

Why would you want a predominantly foreign team in an England competition? Why would you terminate the contracts of good and decent players to create a South African enclave in Watford?

The effects will reverberate in both countries. Saracens fans may well ask themselves, "is this new, artificially created team still the one I deeply care about?" while in South Africa some of the Super 14 franchises are likely to lose some of their top players.

There are many possible reasons for this dramatic development, but the telling quote from Saracens in announcing the takeover is that the club "is not immune from economic realities".

My guess is that because of the generous number of South African rands one gets for pound sterling, hiring South African players over well-paid Englishmen and other foreigners make financial sense. They could be paid well below what Saracens' current top earners get and still be millionaires in South Africa.

And with very large numbers of South Africans living in England, a fan base may well be secured for those still longing for a "taste from home".

Somehow it all makes me think of a famous quote by a former New Zealand prime minister, Robert Muldoon: "New Zealanders who emigrate to Australia raise the IQ of both countries."

It's not applicable in its purest sense to this scenario, but the gist of it ... well, need I spell it out?[/b]
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/ericjanssen/b...an_enclave__why

I'm going to wait and see who they hire in their place or whether they'll chicken out of a mass South African invasion and just draft in loads of Academy newbies to sink or swim.

If there is a mass South African invasion, I'd seriously entertain the possibility of opting for an Amateur Sarries RFC jersey. Jokes about fat wads of raaaand aside, I have no interest whatsoever in an artificial franchise and I seriously have thoughts of just becoming an independent and floating fan.

Either that or support Viadana & Saracens RFC amateurs.

Also in the Telegraph:
World-class flanker Schalk Burger and full-back Conrad Jantjes are among those to have already been linked with moves, and Erasmus also confirmed 25-year-old Burger has been courted.

"(One of) the players that has mentioned this approach is Schalk Burger. There have also been indications that Jean de Villiers has been approached, and Schalk Brits."[/b]
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunio...y-Saracens.html

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 25 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm going to wait and see who they hire in their place or whether they'll chicken out of a mass South African invasion and just draft in loads of Academy newbies to sink or swim.

If there is a mass South African invasion, I'd seriously entertain the possibility of opting for an Amateur Sarries RFC jersey. Jokes about fat wads of raaaand aside, I have no interest whatsoever in an artificial franchise and I seriously have thoughts of just becoming an independent and floating fan.

Either that or support Viadana & Saracens RFC amateurs.[/b]

Oh this is GOLD!

Let me quote you from a recent thread, the one about the Irish billionaire helping out Samoa. I'll bold the important bits.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 11 2009, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Feb 10 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully there will be a Russian billionaire who'll learn to hate the laughably hypocritical bullies from your country, Ireland, Wales and France. Except in our case this irish guy won't make much of a difference. Nearly all of our international players are NZ citizens and grew up here. You guys never name players do you?[/b]

1. People chosing to play for the country of their chosing is for another debate and as I've pointed out in other threads, calling nations like England and the USA for having players born in foreign lands playing in their squads hyprocrites isn't really helpful.

2. We operate in an free market and an open labour market. We're not bullying anyone and as you may notice, the NH Clubs let their players go and play for their countries whoever they may have chosen. It isn't our fault if a Samoan chooses to travel to earn his wage. Hyprocrites? Definitely not.
[/b][/quote]

Are you ready to take some of your own medicine Prestwick? Open and free market and so on? Let us South African earn a living where we want to.

Ah no, you don't like being on the receiving end do you? Take it on the chin big fellow, we all get this crap in the pro era.

I know, sucks don't it? :(

EDIT: I think its important to quote that again and again because thats the system we're in now and thats what may happen here albeit on an extreme scale. I'd never imagine that they'd think about hiring in an entire XV.

If there is some justice then the South Africans that do come up will be paid a comparible wage.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 25 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know, sucks don't it? :(

EDIT: I think its important to quote that again and again because thats the system we're in now and thats what may happen here albeit on an extreme scale. I'd never imagine that they'd think about hiring in an entire XV.

If there is some justice then the South Africans that do come up will be paid a comparible wage.[/b]

A true milestone in TRF's history. Prestwick and Steve-o agree on something.

Yes Presty the system sucks, we down here in the filthy poor south know that. Our clubs are being raided every year and it doesn't seem to be stopping soon.
You and your club are lucky enough to be getting something out of this whole deal! What are the Stormers and the loyal Cape supporters getting? Nothing that's what. Players are just leaving and nothing is being put in place to replace them. It's just take, take and take the whole time and quite frankly it's bullshit.

I would love to see ex-Sharks players like Butch James, Brad Barritt, Shawn Sowerby, Brent Russell, BJ Botha, Warren Britz and Rudi Keil all to return back home to Durban from miserable & rainy Europe. We don't want our players there as much as you don't want them invading your clubs but hey, money talks and us loyal supporters just need to take it as it comes and stick by our teams.

I'm just glad (in a sad way) that this whole "northern drift" is starting to irritate the supporters up there now. Hopefully this will stem whole 'oh well, let it be' attitude towards us when we are concerned about our provincial rugby.

LOL only in Pro rugby would something like this happen. Personally I think it makes a mockery of the whole system.

I'm so happy we only have 2 clubs to worry about...sometimes....ok....this is the first time.

Its important to note that all the talk about drafting in a whole new XV of South African players is just that.

The emphasis on sacking what were for the most part 15 players soon to come to the end of their careers (apart from Jack, Skirving and Barrell WTF?!) my view would be that they're not going to hire like for like. The amount that they are going to hire is going to be far less than 15 simply to save money.

In that case it may mean that we'll be strapped for fit players in any kind of form and if someone gets injured...that could bugger our season up like it did Sale's a couple of years ago..

NOTE: New Saracens Chief Executive Edward Griffiths will be on the Rugby Club tonight. Christ this is turning into a WWE storyline. I'm half expecting Chris Chesney to burst in and AMBUSH the CEO?!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 26 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Its important to note that all the talk about drafting in a whole new XV of South African players is just that.

The emphasis on sacking what were for the most part 15 players soon to come to the end of their careers (apart from Jack, Skirving and Barrell WTF?!) my view would be that they're not going to hire like for like. The amount that they are going to hire is going to be far less than 15 simply to save money.

In that case it may mean that we'll be strapped for fit players in any kind of form and if someone gets injured...that could bugger our season up like it did Sale's a couple of years ago..

NOTE: New Saracens Chief Executive Edward Griffiths will be on the Rugby Club tonight. Christ this is turning into a WWE storyline. I'm half expecting Chris Chesney to burst in and AMBUSH the CEO?![/b]

Lol, this made me laugh. I can see it now. "Oh my god! Oh my god! It's Richard Hill and Phillipe Sella, their back, their back! The Saffa's are looking worried!"

Actually, now I think of it, I think Jerry "The King" Lawler and Jim Ross would probably be better play-by-play Commentators then the dross that the BBC & Sky manage to drag up. Except Brian Moore because he's great.

Edward Griffiths interview on The Rugby Club now; Typical spin and not really answering any questions.

Things really aren't looking good for Sarries right now.

English victims of the 6-42 drumming breathe a sigh of relief

Springbok and Stormers star Schalk Burger has ruled out a possible move to Saracens by claiming he wants to play his rugby in South Africa.

Burger was linked with a loan move to the English Premiership outfit earlier in the week after Saracens informed 18 of its senior players, including former All Blacks lock Chris Jack and leading points-scorer Glen Jackson, that their contracts would not be renewed next season.

With Stormers defensive coach Brendan Venter taking over at Saracens at the end Super 14 following the departure of Eddie Jones, there had been speculation that the English club outfit were looking to bring in a number of South African players with Burger being one of the top targets.

However, the 25-year-old flanker has made it clear where he sees his future.

“I am with the Stormers until the end of the year. I want to play my rugby here,†Burger told Die Burger. “There are big Tests coming up against the British and Irish Lions, as well as a Tri-Nations.

“I would like to play in South Africa and for the Springboks for as long as possible. If I want to do that, I probably can’t go overseas.â€

Stormers coach Rassie Erasmus says he has no intention of exchanging any of his players with Saracens.

“Brendan did not get the job at Saracens because of his links with WP. It was because he had previously coached in England. There is no formal link between Saracens and WP,†said Erasmus.

“We are not going to swap players. When Brendan finishes with us in May, we will view Saracens as the same kind of opposition [for playing resources] as a club like Toulon.

“Players are contractually bound not to negotiate now. That is why I’m not really concerned by all the rumours.â€[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Feb 26 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Edward Griffiths interview on The Rugby Club now; Typical spin and not really answering any questions.

Things really aren't looking good for Sarries right now.[/b]

I disagree, the guy has had some big brass cahjones to not only come onto the Saracens Unofficial board but to stay there and actually answer questions patiently and letting the board admin control the discussion. Can you name a CEO of any GP club that has done that recently, in the middle of such turmoil and panic? Thought not.

As a few of my fellow fans have done, I've taken a step back and gone over everything again and I'm going to wait and see. It isn't looking good but then again at least this way the club can make steps towards becoming financially viable. And as Steve has just posted, it isn't a done deal that the GP is going to see a team otherwise known as the Springboks first XV next season..

EDIT: one positive thing that all of this kerfuffle has done is suddenly bring loads of the Sarries fans who are occassional attenders from the outer limit's of its traditional catchment area (outer Hertfordshire and Essex) onto the board. We're absolutely swarming with new members all passionate about getting their say across.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 26 2009, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Feb 26 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Things really aren't looking good for Sarries right now.[/b]

I disagree, the guy has had some big brass cahjones to not only come onto the Saracens Unofficial board but to stay there and actually answer questions patiently and letting the board admin control the discussion. Can you name a CEO of any GP club that has done that recently, in the middle of such turmoil and panic? Thought not.

As a few of my fellow fans have done, I've taken a step back and gone over everything again and I'm going to wait and see. It isn't looking good but then again at least this way the club can make steps towards becoming financially viable. And as Steve has just posted, it isn't a done deal that the GP is going to see a team otherwise known as the Springboks first XV next season..

EDIT: one positive thing that all of this kerfuffle has done is suddenly bring loads of the Sarries fans who are occassional attenders from the outer limit's of its traditional catchment area (outer Hertfordshire and Essex) onto the board. We're absolutely swarming with new members all passionate about getting their say across.[/b][/quote]

where are they all!! looks like you and me and steynboi still!

Just read Dallaglio's tuppence on the matter. I have to say I agree with him; it's all very well getting rid of mercenaries, journeymen and so on but for players like Sorrell it's very hard.

Saracens becoming financially viable is reliant on marketing ourselves properly, which we haven't done over the last few years.

I'll take a look at all the 'London' clubs. Harlequins are the only ones who are technically a London club; I count Saracens as well cos we're inside the M25, but Wasps and Irish are both out in the sticks.

And surprise surprise, Quins are easily the best marketed club in the South-East. They really do impress me, and I have to say that if I were a new rugby fan this season, then I'd support them too. They've got a snazzy kit; they've got the RL branch, they've really driven home the idea that they are alone as a London club, they've got a great ground that they're filling up regularly.

And here's the real telltale - Quins and Wasps both used Twickenham recently for big games. I went to both. Quins vs Leicester was used as a marketing oppurtunity pure and simple. They got a max of 50,000 into Twickenham but would have got more if the top tier was open. They got a new kit for the match, and it clearly wasn't about making money that day because tickets went at £10 a pop.

Wasps on the other hand got 30,000 in for the HC game against Leinster. It says it all. Quins are really spreading their name and their brand out to new audiences; Wasps just looking for a quick buck and probably not quite getting there.

Sarries and Wasps are in the same boat atm. The future, success wise, does not look bright. We play in rubbish football stadiums and have limited fans. Saracens do need to do something to start functioning as a business... and maybe trying to become the Walkabout of rugby is a viable option. I'd certainly move stadiums to Fulham if this was the case...

or hold on! Loftus Road! All the streets around White City Estate are called South Africa Road, Mandela Way, Australia Road and so on! Loftus Road even shares a name with a famous SA stadium...

Latest posts