• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Matt Dawson to retire

R

robbinho

...ning scrum-half - BBC

Great waste of a 6 nations where a genuine World Cup contender could have been given some valuable experience, rather than this gobby, Sue Barker-knobbing, walking-talking piece of self-agrandisement.

One of the best scrum halves of the modern era, and at his peak, arguably one of the best 9's the game has ever produced.

Here he is owning Dwayne Peel as an old man...

scrumhalves.jpg

In action for Saints in their European Cup winning year...

dawsrep.jpg
_737407_dawson150.jpg

Who can forget Dawson's audacious try for the series winning Lions in '97?

_1060220_dawson150.jpg

He could kick a bit as well...

_1063340_dawson150.jpg

Firing out that pass to Wilkinsin in the World Cup final...

rwc1905.jpg

Not everyone may like him, but you'd have to be an idiot not to recognise his undisputable talent.

I never really liked him, but in his peak he was a very competitive player with a lot of nerve. For the Lions i will remember him for the '97 try, and for holding his nerve to convert Healey's try v ACt when the side whould never have been close. For England his sniping run and pass before the drop goal in the world cup final, and he will always be remembered by tigers fans as the gobby scrum half from northampton who liked to flap his arms alot.

I feel sorry for Dawson, as he was a good player in his time, but the last few years have put a stain on his career, and people will remember this more strongly as it is fresh in the mind.

One incident I will never forget though is his arguement with Budge Poutney in the Powergen Final a few years back.

Originally posted by harrison2468@Apr 7 2006, 01:03 PM
One incident I will never forget though is his arguement with Budge Poutney in the Powergen Final a few years back.
It wasn't an argument, it was a misunderstanding hyped up by TV commentators. Read his autobiography and it turns out it was a nothing event.

Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 7 2006, 10:40 AM
yes but hes not as good as edwards, sid or gregan
Shut the f*** up, he's still twice the player Greegan ever was.

Great player....face facts when you play rugby you want your scrumhalf to be an annoying little c***, and Dawson was the best. A great Lion on the field in 1997 that all NH fans should appreciate and a great servant to English rugby.

Interesting that everyone fails to differentiate between his on-field persona (gobby and annoying), and his off-field one, where he is a nice, intelligent and articulate bloke.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Apr 7 2006, 12:37 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-harrison2468
@Apr 7 2006, 01:03 PM
It wasn't an argument, it was a misunderstanding hyped up by TV commentators. Read his autobiography and it turns out it was a nothing event. [/b]
I actually have his auto-biography, which I decided to get because it would be an interesting read based on his personality.

I'll have a look over it tonight. It was an arguement though, obviously both were frustrated by the way things panned out that day.

Originally posted by harrison2468+Apr 7 2006, 05:52 PM-->
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Apr 7 2006, 12:37 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-harrison2468
@Apr 7 2006, 01:03 PM

It wasn't an argument, it was a misunderstanding hyped up by TV commentators. Read his autobiography and it turns out it was a nothing event.
I actually have his auto-biography, which I decided to get because it would be an interesting read based on his personality.

I'll have a look over it tonight. It was an arguement though, obviously both were frustrated by the way things panned out that day. [/b]
From what I gathered, Dawson was just ****** off, wanted to speak to the ref, Budge tried to stop him, and Daws snapped at him.

Made out to be more than it was.

I feel this is a loss for the English game, as Robinson now has an excuse to keep playing Harry Ellis, as he may see no real alternative(even if there is).

I personally think it will be a sad day when Austin Healey, he is a person after my own heart and is not one to keep his opinion in his feet, great man.

BM

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Apr 7 2006, 04:37 PM
Interesting that everyone fails to differentiate between his on-field persona (gobby and annoying), and his off-field one, where he is a nice, intelligent and articulate bloke.
Plesent enough off the firld, although I'll admit he does only find himself an interesting subject.

Glad to see him go, one less aragant player playing. I think Dwayne Peel will always bea better scrum half than he will ever be.

However he did have some good moments look at the lion 97

Originally posted by Cymro@Apr 7 2006, 11:22 PM
I think Dwayne Peel will always bea better scrum half than he will ever be.
Dwayne Peel is a great 9, but I don't think you can possibly say he will be better than Dawson at his peak.

Those people who saw Daws play week-in week-out will vouch for what a superb talent he was at the height of his game.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Apr 8 2006, 08:26 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Cymro
@Apr 7 2006, 11:22 PM
I think Dwayne Peel will always bea better scrum half than he will ever be.
Dwayne Peel is a great 9, but I don't think you can possibly say he will be better than Dawson at his peak.

Those people who saw Daws play week-in week-out will vouch for what a superb talent he was at the height of his game. [/b]
Ah, but your forgetting he's a Pom/not Welsh, so he's not allowed to be regarded as a great Scrum Half.

:wall:

Latest posts