• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

McCall Quits Ulster

A

An Tarbh

Mark McCall has resigned as Ulster coach following the sides' dismal performance against Gloucester coupled with their dreadful start to the Magners League.

Assistant coach Steve Williams will take charge of team affairs.

The writing was pretty much on the wall after he failed to attend the post match press conference on Friday night.

Be interesting to see who gets the job, quite worrying for Ulster reading that Solomons is living in the Province and could be reconsidered, smart move considering the bang up job he did there and at Northampton!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
That's my frustration leaking from my soul. Let's fix this problem and start kicking ass! We've got a good side, honestly, I swear.

quite worrying for Ulster reading that Solomons is living in the Province and could be reconsidered, smart move considering the bang up job he did there and at Northampton! [/b]
Solomons did a very good job at Ulster and the Stormers. He has international experience as Nick Mallett's assistant with the Springboks and was a key player in coaching the minnow nations up to standard at the last World Cup. While he was unsuccessful at Northampton (a major under statement), he wasn't there very long and never really got a fair crack of the whip. Ulster could do a lot worse that employ Solomons on a short term basis (perhaps until the end of the season) while they search for a new coach.

Michael Bradley must be in with a shot at the job come the end of the season. I can't see him leaving Connacht just yet (he'll want to ensure qualification for the Heineken Cup for the 1st time) but he may relish the opportunity to coach better players. Rumours circulating seem to indicate that the Munster job may be vacated during sumer 2008 and I think Bradley may prefer that option.

Others in contention could be Andre Bester and Andy Ward (as a team), Brian McLoughlin, Eddie O'Sullivan (perhaps that's the Irish fan in me speaking!) and the ticket I think would be best suited for the role, Matt Williams and Willie Anderson. Williams has indicated a desire to involve himself in professional rugby again. He's familiar with the Irish system, has a great track record at club level, played a key role in developing the current Leinster three quarter line and will be battle hardened after his experience in Scotland. Anderson could whip the pack into shape almost instantly. As a ticket I think they'd get the most out of the talented youngsters coming through the Ulster setup.

Good to see Ulster get back on the winning trail after such a poor run this season. Its isnt to late to resurrect their season and still finish in the top half. They need to start winning at Ravenhill though, which was always a fortress.

I read today on the bbc website that Gareth Jenkins could be interrested in the job.

Latest posts