• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Modern Horror vs Classic Horror

Did my favourite modern horrors (2000 onwards, some are more horror-themed than outright horrors):

1. Pan's Labyrinth
2. Oldboy
3. 28 Days Later
4. Battle Royale
5. Shaun of the Dead
6. Let the Right One In
7. Rec
8. Cabin in the Woods
9. Hard Candy
10. The Blair Witch Project
11. The Host
12. The Ring (actually preferred the remake)
13. Audition
14. The Orphanage
15. Trollhunter
16. Zombieland
17. I Am Legend (would have been so much higher if they'd have stuck to the book :( )
18. Saw
19. Ju-On
20. The Others

Did my favourite modern horrors (2000 onwards, some are more horror-themed than outright horrors):

1. Pan's Labyrinth

Seen it a few times, love the costume design etc. The Orphanage is also decent.

2. Oldboy
3. 28 Days Later

Can't believe it lost to Chicago at the Oscars.

4. Battle Royale

I don't know what it was about this, but I found it quite boring to be honest.

5. Shaun of the Dead

A classic. Hot Fuzz is my favourite of the trilogy, but certainly this is the most 'horror-esque' of them

6. Let the Right One In

As I said in my earlier post, I actually think the American remake is a scarier film, but still maintains the charm of the original. I've had the book sitting by my bed for a couple of years but have never gotten round to reading it.

7. Rec

Saw Quarantine first, but still saw [REC] eventually. Given Quarantine is a complete shot-for-shot remake I'd recommend that over [REC], purely as it's an easier watch. [REC] 2 is actually very good also, but I haven't seen Genesis or Apocalypse.

8. Cabin in the Woods

One of the smartest films I've ever seen.

9. Hard Candy

Another good one which I need to get around to seeing again. Old school Ellen Paige.

10. The Blair Witch Project

Hmmm... Never been a huge fan.

11. The Host
12. The Ring (actually preferred the remake)

Likewise. I remember a scene from the old VHS that isn't on the modern versions of it, and I'm not sure if I just made it up completely.

13. Audition

Another one that I read fantastic reviews of but was ultimately fairly disappointed with.

14. The Orphanage

Oh, you've already seen it ;)

15. Trollhunter

One I'm looking forward to watching at some point.

16. Zombieland

Great comedy.

17. I Am Legend
18. Saw
19. Ju-On
20. The Others

My thoughts in bold :D

Don't like the genre at all. I can derive no entertainment from watching variations on the same theme (for example, a hockey-masked lunatic sequentially dispatching numerous teenagers/youths with gusto) repeated over and over to a fixed formula. I find it boring and repetitive and it fails to keep my attention.

The nearest thing to a horror movie I ever watched was "Alien" when it first came out in theatres. By the time I realised it was a horror film in disguise, I was hooked.

Did you watch this year's Bledisloe at Eden Park? That's what I call a horror movie!

I prefer older horror movies, psycho, nightmare on elm street, children of the corn etc. the classics are much better than things like scream, i know what you did last summer, the ring, blairwitch project etc.

Guys, just want to thank everyone for your input. I've had a rough week and y'all helped to make it a bit better. Wish I could reply individually but I'm slightly tipsy and it's a miracle I can even spell, let alone type. :p

das

Latest posts