• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Moral Dilemma

B

BigTen

I have recently gone through a couple of job changes and left my last job on the last day of August. In the meantime I have had some time off and only just found myself a new assignment. I actually started today. Yah! I am back consulting for a company that I was with a couple of years ago.

But basically I left the August job in interesting situations. They were plenty rude to me and I basically just walked out and didn't go back - they tried to call me a couple of times but I just ignored them. They even sent me out a letter but I just filed it (in the rubbish bin).

However today I raided my bank account and realised that my old job have paid me for the entire month of September. Now it isn't a huge amount of money but it is still a full month's wages (it's a few grand) and as I walked out and didn't do any work it shouldn't really be paid to me.

I was wondering what other people think of this and whether I should do the "right" thing and offer to return the money or whether I should do a "runner"?

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. If you find a wallet while on a bus, that's the moral dilemma...you should return it. Your company paying you your salary one last time? That's a blessing.
If your feeling really bad, just pm me and I'll give you my address and you can mail me a check.

For mine.

Call your old manager, explain the situation and ask for the contact and phone number for accounts.
Explain the situation to accounts, refund them if you have to.

Why?

Rule 01: Never burn your bridges
You never now when you may need them

Lazyboy2-large.jpg

Go Buy one of these.... Like I have just got today, will be the best purchase you will ever make... :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana:

"...For mine.

Call your old manager, explain the situation and ask for the contact and phone number for accounts.

Why?

You never now when you may need them..."
Wally.

Don't worry, Dumbo. I never burn my bridges - I nuke them! Total destruction.

Should you balls give it back. Take it as compensation for their rudeness.

"...For mine.

Why?

You never now when you may need them..."
Wally.

Don't worry, Dumbo. I never burn my bridges - I nuke them! Total destruction.
[/b]

i like it BigTen

depends on how rude they were to you, and whether u can afford to pay it back upon request if legally bound

i'd take the money and run with it..........dont spend it...........chuck it into ING, and earn some interest whilst you can

After approx 6-12 months - atleast until financial yr end 2007, if u hear nothing from them ur good to go, and spend up including the 10months of interest $150.00 for 3 grand

However u must await until July07.......that is when ur old company will do the books and reconcile with tax man and group certs, and find holes

U could spend it now, as long as u are prepared to pay it back if legally bound in 2007.

Or it could be a holiday pay-out for untaken leave, or even u may have been paid in arears the whole time meaning that is rightfully urs to keep and spend

Play the waiting game with the poker face until July 2007 - but move the funds now to a savings account to earn interest....even if u have to pay it back in 2007 u get $150.00 out of it via interest

Yeah ak47 - the $$$ is sitting in a high-interest yielding bank account where it will probably stay for some time. I normally just scrap some of the top every now and then and dump it into some shares but I always make sure that I have some liquid money just in case something comes up out of the blue and I don't have to dump it on my credit card. Although it was funny about my credit card because in the short time that I was unemployed my bank offered to double my credit card limit. They did that the last time I was unemployed as well.

But anyway - the money has definitley been paid to me in error - what I think has happened is that the area that I was working in didn't tell payroll in time and they just dumped the money into my account. They probably won't realise until the end of the quarter. But as they have not terminated my employment officially (they haven't received any confirmation from me that I do not want the job) I do have a case to argue that I should be allowed to keep the money because I can argue that I was still working for them I just didn't come in and do work for that time. Although if push comes to shove I will just leave the country - I mean - I will pay it back but not until I have given them the run around.

Fair enough......a company has to keep paying you until you hand in your resignation or they terminate you. You never handed in your resignation.......you never turn up to work........the onus is on them on what to do....they can try and get you back in....or they can sack you and try and inform you that you are sacked...therefore the onus is on them when the wages should be stopped....perhaps the letter from them was your notification of termination and the last day details regarding pay.

If you are worried that they may by some billionth of a miracle say "You owe us money cos we paid you and you did not come in" you can very simply claim.....stress leave with the too streesful to even ring up line and threaten to get a lawyer or the union on to them about their work harassment and such. Watch them slowly fade away....they may even offer you a payut lol!

Either way.....pretty sure they will see it as cutting their losses. The only cases I know of employers chasing ex employees was when the employer overpaid them every week over time. They still could not get money back off the people and were pretty much "asking" for it back.

I have read what has been said and was wondering weather or not that money they have paid is actually your annual leave pay and perhaps you half month or how ever long you worked for.

But if i was in your shoes i would just sit that money aside and not spend it if they don't come looking for it with 1-2 months i would say yay i am $2k richer and spend or save it what ever tickles your fancy :p

Thats why we all love you, Candyman. You have once again exhibited the wisdom of THOR!!!

Donate it to your Favourite Forum!!!!

I do Mean the TRF ;)

That money could buy us loads of adspace... :D

Thats why we all love you, Candyman. You have once again exhibited the wisdom of THOR!!!
[/b]

By great Sampson's locks, he's onto something there that Candyman!
[/b]

Well i can see i am getting the **** taken out of me here, I don't know why i bother :p

I need a job.

How much does Dan pay you Charlie... [/b]

ummmm nothing, cos I am the co-owner.... :bleh!:

So I own half the board and dan owns the other half of the board...

also we have both invested our own money into this place and dont take any profit from it...