• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Most Underrated Player

Trinh Duc is not rated at all, because he's playing for an unknown team (Montpellier). Where I live (West Midlands) nobody knows him, whereas they know players like Dussautoire or Medard.

I really think he's NH best fly half (and I'm not thinking that because he's French), he has always outplayed the opposite n10 during the 2 last years (Remember this year 6N).

British do not know him because Montpellier is not playing the H Cup + for most people the fly half has to be the kicker of the team, but his talent will be revealed to the entire world ( :D ) during the RWC.

You should definitely keep an eye on him.

People have seen him in the top14 and 6 nations. He's not the best N.H. in Europe it's Sexton because he can actually kick tactically and off the tee. Fairhurst is the best in the N.H.

Sexton ? The guy that has to be replaced by O'gara during each game of the Six Nations ?

We're probably not talking about the same Sexton.

The most underrated french player I can think of is Jean Bouihlou
Agree on him. Good call. Cant understand how hes not involved with the national side.

As for Trin-duc, Ive been watching quite a bit of the Top14 (as have a lot of Irish fans) over the past two years and while previously he could have been called a bit of a flake, this year hes been fantastic for Montpellier. I suppose its about who you talk to. Those who dont rate him simply havent watched Top14 rugby this year.

We're probably not talking about the same Sexton.
You are. You know the one that played for Leinster twice this year against Racing. Remember?

Boys, the thread is not about who is good or bad, it's about who is rated over/under his real value. I think Trihn-Duc has been seen enough playing for the EdF, so people have a true assessment of his qualities/flaws. He had an awesome game against Scotland, good against Wales and below average against Italy and England, but the point is that I wouldn't say he is underrated. About Sexton you can say whatever you want, but I think that both his supporters and his critics have valid points, so I wouldn't say he is either over- or underrated.

To discuss who's the best FH in the NH, feel free to open a new thread.

Of the players that appear regularly in test matches, Conrad Smith's case has always surprised me. He doesn't get any press, doesn't have video compilations in youtube, but everytime he is mentioned here he is widely considered (and rightly so) one of the best centers in the world. However, it seems he doesn't get the hype he deserves. I guess that counts as some form of underrating as well.

Edit: a thread of Sexton vs. Trinh-Duc was opened by one smart (this time at least) forum member.

Last edited:
the Georgian prop Davit Kubriashvili, he keeps Carl Hayman out of the Toulon side yet people still respond "who?" when he's mentioned

he should be considered up with the likes of Nicolas Mas and Adam Jones as one of the best tightheads in the world

hopefully some of the members of this forum saw him play for the Barbarians and remembers that he was a beast at scrum time.

LZ1R0502.jpg

I'll second quite a few of these. Trinh-Duc and Ouedraogo don't get the coverage they would in a more internationally recognised team but I would still say they're in France's top tier of players. Although I guess it could be a case of big fish, small bowl.

Smith is a ghost in attack, seems to pass through defensive lines with no explanation as to how or why, also the smartest rugby player around :p

I wish some of the smaller nations would join up sometimes. Could really get a beautiful team if you mixed some of the lower tiered international sides' world class players... (Although I guess the Baabaas do that to an extent)

the Georgian prop Davit Kubriashvili, he keeps Carl Hayman out of the Toulon side yet people still respond "who?" when he's mentioned

he should be considered up with the likes of Nicolas Mas and Adam Jones as one of the best tightheads in the world

hopefully some of the members of this forum saw him play for the Barbarians and remembers that he was a beast at scrum time.

LZ1R0502.jpg

I do remember him coming off the bench and replacing Hayman ...

for Toulon he starts nearly every week ahead of Hayman, he started against England for the Barbarians ahead of him too and the Baabaas and destroyed Joe Marler

Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction :) but I do know who Davit Kubriashvili is and I was being sarcastic.

Luke mcalister is the best in the world but almost no one considers him to be the best. They think he's good but not the best

Faifili Levave Blindside for Wellington Hurricanes

Last edited:
Andrew Sheridan outscrumming John Smit (at tighthead) and getting Matfield to drop off a tackle merely proves him the equal of Matt Dunning (without the drop kicking ability). You have to cite something else for people (at least yours truely) to take any notice.

I wouldn't say William Servat is underrated, at least not by anyone who knows anything.

A few names I'd like to through into the hat from the SH;

Doppies LaGrange
Anthony Fainga
FdP :p
Duane Vermeulen
Riaan Viljoen
Mark Gerrard

Latest posts