• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Muliaina Arrested

Interesting, I'd never heard this before!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11428189

The Grey Lynn home of Muliaina's estranged wife Hayley Muliaina appeared to be empty today, and no-one answered the door.

Muliaina split had from his wife - who is the mother of his 6-year-old son Max - and it is understood he has a new partner in Ireland.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11428612

Hayley Muliaina, the player's estranged wife and mother of his 6-year-old son, was not at the Grey Lynn home the pair own last night.

Just to re-iterate, this doesn't mean anything, nor does it make him a bad person. But i just wanted to illustrate it's not really appropriate to say "he's a nice guy, can't have been him" which is what's kind of been alluded to in this thread by some people. Gotta let it run it's course and hopefully this will turn out to be nothing.

Last edited:
it's been in pretty much every newspaper article, that his estranged wife is not giving interviews etc... and that he has a new partner in Ireland, i also never said she was Irish i said in Ireland.

Yeah your 100% right. I don't read the papers much and well his son was at game so I just presumed. I agree you never said she was Irish. I just know he's living with Aki as the house is supposedly impressive.

it's been in pretty much every newspaper article, that his estranged wife is not giving interviews etc... and that he has a new partner in Ireland, i also never said she was Irish i said in Ireland.

I can see reports that his wife is not at the pair's home in New Zealand and that they are seperated, but can't find anything on the shacking up to another woman part. Guess I'll have another look.

Agree with your other points. Edit: saw your links, thanks.

Last edited:
In fairness sexual harassment these days could be a drunken slap on the arse.
I hope that is the case.

it's not really, it all seems pretty routine.

He's been questioned but not charged; they wont' release details of the situation until they either have someone arrested or drop the investigation. He's been released on bail due to his job and the fact he has to cross borders a lot. It's better for all involved that details aren't released to the public to protect both the victim and the Muliaina.

I find it incredible people are essentially proclaiming his innocence on the basis "he's a nice guy", that's not to say he's automatically guilty and of course innoncent until proven etc... but the police have a duty to investigate these things, and too many assaults get overlooked for fear of not being belived etc... so it's just gotta run it's course now.

They did arrest him though, that's what i found surprising, you would think they much have something pretty concrete to actually arrest him rather than just "help them with their inquiries"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11428189

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11428612

Just to re-iterate, this doesn't mean anything, nor does it make him a bad person. But i just wanted to illustrate it's not really appropriate to say "he's a nice guy, can't have been him" which is what's kind of been alluded to in this thread by some people. Gotta let it run it's course and hopefully this will turn out to be nothing.

you're right...it doesn't mean anything, not sure why you raised it, separating with his partner doesn't make him a bad guy, happens all the time and for all we know it was amicable

I cant see where anyone has said there was no way he's done it or that she's lying, lots of surprise based on the image he has over a long career and some comments about being innocent until proven guilty...which is his right, some hope that he's innocent and finally some questions around the fact he was actually arrested and how it was done

Last edited:
They did arrest him though, that's what i found surprising, you would think they much have something pretty concrete to actually arrest him rather than just "help them with their inquiries"

i actually meant charged.

Arresting someone is just taking them in. You can be arrested and not charged, it depends on what they think his involvement may be (if at all).

it's not really, it all seems pretty routine.

He's been questioned but not charged; they wont' release details of the situation until they either have someone arrested or drop the investigation. He's been released on bail due to his job and the fact he has to cross borders a lot. It's better for all involved that details aren't released to the public to protect both the victim and the Muliaina.

I find it incredible people are essentially proclaiming his innocence on the basis "he's a nice guy", that's not to say he's automatically guilty and of course innoncent until proven etc... but the police have a duty to investigate these things, and too many assaults get overlooked for fear of not being belived etc... so it's just gotta run it's course now.
Alleged victim, she isn't a victim until he is proven guilty which he has not.

Alleged victim, she isn't a victim until he is proven guilty which he has not.

Not true. She can still be a victim regardless of Mulianas innocence, He may be completely un-involved and only offering evidence about someone else's acts etc...

Just to point out something.

You can only be released on bail AFTER you have been charged with an offence, pending a court appearance.

You can be released on police bail which is when the police do not have enough evidence to charge the individual.

I imagine Mils is on police bail during which they are coning enquiries.

i actually meant charged.

Arresting someone is just taking them in. You can be arrested and not charged, it depends on what they think his involvement may be (if at all).

but they don't arrest people unless they believe they can be charged with something, people can come in and be questions without being arrested, like any witness of a crime

Why are people surprised though? Based on what? He played for the All Blacks for a long time. I don't see how that would preclude him from doing something any more so than the guy who works on the corner shop. If anything, he's had run ins with the law before, and been tied up with people who have broken the law too. Having a family doesn't mean much these days. We saw that with Tiger Woods.

Perhaps not on this forum, but inwardly people's minds just race to "huh? that can't be right. Silly woman, he's a rugby player! He can't have. It must have been a misunderstanding." Those are the preconceived thoughts that are out there. I'm not saying he did it, but I'm just saying that's the attitude that exists more commonly than you might think. He may well be innocent, I hope he is.

Last edited:
Why are people surprised though? Based on what? He played for the All Blacks for a long time. I don't see how that would preclude him from doing something any more so than the guy who works on the corner shop. If anything, he's had run ins with the law before, and been tied up with people who have broken the law too. Having a family doesn't mean much these days. We saw that with Tiger Woods.

Perhaps not on this forum, but inwardly people's minds just race to "huh? that can't be right. Silly woman, he's a rugby player! He can't have. It must have been a misunderstanding." Those are the preconceived thoughts that are out there. I'm not saying he did it, but I'm just saying that's the attitude that exists more commonly than you might think. He may well be innocent, I hope he is.

I don't think like that - just innocent until proven guilty, that's all. Arresting him and not charging him only leads to speculation as to whether he's done it or not, and tarnishes his reputation (rightly or wrongly, depending on whether he did it or not). Agree that discounting the possibility he's done it, based on his rugby exploits or his demeanor off the field, is just plain stupid, as is if he's still living with his wife/living with another partner.

you're right...it doesn't mean anything, not sure why you raised it, separating with his partner doesn't make him a bad guy, happens all the time and for all we know it was amicable

I cant see where anyone has said there was no way he's done it or that she's lying, lots of surprise based on the image he has over a long career and some comments about being innocent until proven guilty...which is his right, some hope that he's innocent and finally some questions around the fact he was actually arrested and how it was done

I raised it to illustrate that you never really know someone, and because people are using the "perfect family guy" comments to allude to the fact to say it can't have been him when they actually don't seem to know anything about his family situation.

- - - Updated - - -

but they don't arrest people unless they believe they can be charged with something, people can come in and be questions without being arrested, like any witness of a crime

nope, being arrested is when you are taken and held for questioning, you do not have to be charged.

https://www.gov.uk/arrested-your-rights/when-youre-arrested

Which is absolutely not what I'm doing.

I know, you've made that clear ... just comparing one extreme of perceived "good" character to perceived "bad" character, and how both are irrelevant when it comes to guilty ... my apologies, I should have made it clear I knew what you were and weren't saying

I know, you've made that clear ... just comparing one extreme of perceived "good" character to perceived "bad" character, and how both are irrelevant when it comes to guilty ... my apologies, I should have made it clear I knew what you were and weren't saying

No probs mate, I just wanted to clarify what I was saying.

I agree with you on this.

You seem to be missing my point so I'm leaving it

I kind of understand your point but while its rare I do. I agree with GN10 on this.
Being arrested is only questioning on suspicion and deciding is it possible to go further and bring charges or deem the party is involved.
If it was for questioning like a witness etc it'd be done like an appointment and would be done with the party involved going to the station themselves not being arrested

Last edited:
False allegations occur an awful lot. I like to assume that this was one of these instances.
Sorry but this is total nonsense. False sexual assault allegations same % as false burglary allegations, yet if he'd have been accused of that doubt you'd have left that post.

Latest posts