• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My Road To Recovery

E

EVOL

Well first off let me just tell you the point of this thread,

as a few of you may have read amongst my non sequiter postings I play rugby, unfortunately for me I have had a horror run with injuries over
the past few years, the major ones being: my back (curved spine and a tendency for popping out discs)
a few ac joint injuries
my achilles tendon which I snapped last year TWICE
img43yw1.jpg

and more recently a fractured tibia and torn cartiladge
in my right knee (which i've just had arthroscopic surgery on)
kneeju9.jpg

right
I'm 24yrs old
1.86m - 6'1"
187kgs - 412lbs or 29.45 stone

which is f***ing ridiculous

I went on weight watchers last year and got down to 145kg i think it was, but after the second achilles tear I got into quite a depressive state
and piled the weight back on, same thing with my knee this year, f***ing stress eating sucks.

so the point of the thread being a source of motivation for myself to lose weight, keep it off and try my hand at making a representative team
which without trying to be big headed, I know I can do.

Im not expecting anyone to give a **** about any of this, nor do I care if they do or not.

but if anyone has any rehabilitation tips, nutrition, weight training programs etc it would be really helpful

either way its a place for me to vent, and hopefully something I can stick to.

hell I'm not gettin any younger

best lucks evol

if i were you i would just do a lot of excersize with cardio and overall cut down on calories

good luck ill be watching with interest :) hows ya knee feel now?

*poke*

what about now?

Originally posted by DC@Aug 29 2006, 08:22 AM
best lucks evol

if i were you i would just do a lot of excersize with cardio and overall cut down on calories
yeah i'm planning on cutting calories right down, I noticed last year i lost 30kg from just eating right without any exercise (due to the achilles), but I had some awesome willpower up until the second achilles rupture.

I've tried multiple times to get back on the diet but only lasted as long as 2 weeks, so hopefully I find the motivation somehow

Im trying to organise an exercycle, as well as get back into aquajogging, gotta go easy on my joints ya see.

the knee feels fine, i just gotta stay off it for a couple weeks, it was crazy as watching the surgeon operate, it was kinda surreal

I've recently lost quite a bit of weight too Evol, I'm down to 80kg now and have kept it off for almost a year.

Just drink lots of water, cut down portion sizes cause that is what puts on the weight - not so much the type of food. More small meals is better than a few big ones. I did it by myself and didn't get help from anyone. Also don't buy any food that you will pick at... it's all about getting used to the right foods and if temptations aren't there you can't have them.

Also, tried cutting out alcohol :p?

Keep at it :)

Originally posted by woosaah@Aug 29 2006, 10:21 AM
good luck ill be watching with interest :) hows ya knee feel now?

*poke*

what about now?
LOL that reminds me of when I had my patella stabilisation reconstruction done, was lying in bed the day after in hospital and the nurse came in to clean around knee, after she was done wiping it down, she paused, and then poked it. This of course made me move alarmedly as extremely painful. Couldn't believe the stupid b*tch did that...

All the best with recovery Evol, try and get into rehab as soon as possible. I was a bit timid at putting my knee through the exercise plan early on (added with the restrictions on what I could actually do) and consequently think it has put me back a few months in reaching as best a condition I can get it in. Good luck :D

It's not necesarily cutting back on calories. You have to figure out how much you're burning and then figure out how much you need to take in. Also eat breakfast and don't eat before you go to sleep. If you don't eat breakfast it will slow down your metabulism and you won't burn fat. Also eating before you go to sleep doesn't allow your body to digest it properly and it just becomes fat.

cheers guys

I'm able to move the knee a bit more freely but its still early days yet, third day into the diet and alls going good so far, I reckon after the first couple of weeks it should get easier to control my diet.

I'm gonna weigh in again monday, so Ill probably update my first post with my progress

Right, I currently (well, when I got out of the shower this morning) weigh in at 14st12 and am exactly 6 foot tall.

I have a plan to drop to 13st6 by the end of October using the following basics;

Food: No more kebabs/curries/pizzas or chips every other night. Yep, the batchelor has to learn to cook... :eek: (Oh noes)
Beer: Friday night beer becomes friday night... errr... not beer. Out for a drink twice in a month maximum. (heyg, a mans gotta live/pull)
Excercise: Not bothering with the gym this time, but the bike arrives in the next couple of weeks, so daily cycling to work and back plus incremental increasing of press ups/sit ups/weightliftng.

Should do the job.

good luck, man.

i can only offer this: no cola. no beer.

just vodka. or gin. clear spirits.

i reccomend for you guys dieting not to cut out your sweets totally, it will just lead to temptation for them and once you get tempted enough your gonna end up piggin' out on them

make a night each week when you can have a food of your choice for one meal.. i.e. sunday, or friday or something like that.

i will be doing that one night a week thing, I can't just go cold turkey straight away so to speak.

I don't drink regular coke etc anyway but will occasionally drink pepsi max, but I fully intend to cut out the drinking all together, been getting a bit angus lately yaarrgh!

jesus...just tone up a little and there'll be no difference from you and carl hayman

great idea for a thread!

wish id have thought of it. i have a similar story.

used to play decent level rugby until the age of about 20 when i tore both my knees out and
crushed 3 vertibrae in my back.

went from 90kg winger to 115 kg beer monster.

decided i wanted to get it back on track aged about 22 so...

moved to london and started cycling to and from work daily (about 12 miles round trip) before...

hit and nearly killed by a guy heading through a red light. the result was:

4 broken ribs,
smashed collar bone,
collapsed lung,
ruptured spleen,
broken leg,
smashed patella,
some awesome scarring
and a slight headache.

8 days in intensive care later i could just about walk (leg break was around the knee and so for some reason wasnt too bad and i could actually walk on it really soon after.)

initially i was in a bit of a bad way, i lost about 4 stone (25kg) in the first few weeks as i couldnt eat really
but since have been trying to keep the weight down....

with varying success. im now pretty fit as i now run at least three miles an evening (often 6 if im feeling it) but for some reason i dont weigh a lot less than i used to. about 95 kg at the moment.

at first this bothered me quite a bit as i felt i wasnt getting much out of all the effort ive been putting in but since then i have really felt the benefits of being fit again. i have so much more energy, feel generally happier, work a lot harder at work (which has paid off a lot recently) and generally feel pretty decent.

wish you all the best for your recovery, hope it goes well for you and im sure if you stick with it, you will really see and feel a great benefit from it all.

good luck matey.

damn, and i thought i had bad luck.

yep im still on it, alternating my training daily between lifting weights and the punching bag (no not the missus) plus a ton of situps.

its quite funny how little of the situps i can do before i cramp up, since ive practicly done next to no exercise in the last two years.

I used to have massive legs but theyve gotten smaller and weak, so i cant wait to get into a lot more walking, damn knee is still not healing properly.

well its 2:53am my time and i cant sleep so ima go lift some weights

I have had problems with weight before... I was only about 13 when I weigh 120Kg... that's a lot man.. i was literally obese.. and was just a bystander on the pitch...
one of the most important thing to actually get on an exercise is to get friends do it with you! you can encourage each other! although i havent had all of your injury mishaps... I'm sure you can do it man! i have faith in you!
if i can make it back into a fit 95 kilo INTERNATIONAL flanker... i know you can do it man!

:) cheers boss, i think i can i think i can.

i wont let the trfers down :)

I've given up the booze too, obviously exeptions for weddings, funerals and other majors.

doubt ill stick to this for long :lol:

Latest posts