• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My Rugby 08 Review: After 1 Match

I've got a few questions:

AI defence, has it improved at all? Does the diagonal run still expose a huge gap? Does the AI winger still stand on sideline giving the overlap vs the fullback?

AI flyhalf, does he still kick for one half and the run for the other?

You said the game has a faster pace, how is the AI counter-attack if you don't put the kick the ball into touch?

Finally, how did you get it early? ;)

have you tried the advanced scrum and lineout controls

I think that is just EA regurgitating the same old.

AI defence, has it improved at all? Does the diagonal run still expose a huge gap? Does the AI winger still stand on sideline giving the overlap vs the fullback?

You said the game has a faster pace, how is the AI counter-attack if you don't put the kick the ball into touch?

[/b]
i did read on some other post that it was coming out in the us today and a couple of sites(usa ones like ign) said it was shipping on the 17th so maybe its out where he is.

<div class='quotemain'> Hey DC,

Nice work! I got just one question is the right analogue more responsive? I don't expect it to be madden like but it would be nice if it was a bit quicker to respond & not slow right down when your side stepping ect.. [/b]

Eh its pretty much the same, sidesteps and shoulder charges are still the same as the previous version
[/b][/quote]

Damn :wah: !!

Cheers for that mate!! B)

Hey is World League still the same where you can only pick a handfull of teams and they have there good players replaced with random people from around the world?

Also, are there any new teams? is French club Toloun there?

And i wont be a pest and ask, but i am assuming league converts like Tahu to the Waratahs and Goywer to Burgoin want be in coz of licencing

damn you getting it on ps2,

if anyone gets it on pc before the 27th can you please let me know (thats when it comes out here) i would like the roster file to play with.

sorry i know this has nothing to do with the thread :)

other than, sounds good DC cant wait to hear more about what you think later on.

Hey is World League still the same where you can only pick a handfull of teams and they have there good players replaced with random people from around the world?

Also, are there any new teams? is French club Toloun there?

And i wont be a pest and ask, but i am assuming league converts like Tahu to the Waratahs and Goywer to Burgoin want be in coz of licencing [/b]
they won't be in because they haven't played a game of union yet. its got nothing to do with licenses the squads will be from this years super 14 and nh comps not next years.

I don't mean to hijack DC's thread, but I thought I'd just add to the one he already started. I just finished playing the game for the first time. It's very overwhelming. For me, it's not like the past versions. Rugby 08 is a much more faster paced game. There's just so much going on that it's going to take a while until I can become truly comfortable with it.

For me, the most difficult part of the game is determining which camera to use. In the past, the side mode has always been difficult to handle. This time around, I find it much more responsive and easier. I haven't been able to find the 'classic' camera angle. The closest thing is an 'end' camera, a 'chase' camera and a 'hover' camera. I found 'chase' suits me best. However, with each angle, including the 'side,' 'broadcast' and 'truck' angles, you are given the choice of 'near' to 'super near' or 'wide' or 'super wide.' This is somewhat cool, but it takes getting used to. The only drawback is that you can't see the whole field because the camera zooms in very close to the breakdowns and scrums. However, you get a Madden-type feel to the game because you're right on top of the action. I'm talking 'very close.' There's also a custom camera option that allows you to choose how close or far you zoom into breakdowns and open field play. For example, you can have zoom when there's a breakdown and choose a wide angle during open play.

Sorry if I'm dwelling so long on the camera, but to me that's the hardest part of the game getting used to. There are just so many options to choose from in regard to how you view the game while playing it.

I played two games with the AB's. Carter's got the signature blue adidas boots, which is a nice touch. Mauger sucks, but Conrad Smith is awesome. So's Sivivatu and Rockacoko.

The jury is still out on defense. Somehow, I felt I got lucky a lot. There seems to be less control. Players are constantly moving around -- no one seems to be standing still especially at rucks. It's also hard to determine defense without the 'classic' camera angle, because I failed to notice if the camera swings around when possession is turned over. At least I didn't notice it. Like I said, there's so much going on at the same time that it's hard to pin down all that's happening. Everything happens so fast. It's much easier to play defense in one of the 'side' modes. I also think a better assesment can be made playing versus another person as opposed to the AI.

The right analog stick is more responsive. And keeping possession as opposed to losing it seems about logical. If you're isolated, you'll probably lose the ball.

The challenge mode seems like it will provide hours of fun. There's a lot there, however, as in the past, we've all completed challenges in past versions. After we finished them all, it seemed rather uneventful and not too hard at all (ie, filling a trophy cabinet).

I hope this helps peak everyone's interest. It's a good game. I know I'm going to enjoy it for a while. Just like the other versions of years past. My heart goes out to everyone who anticipates playing this game. The buildup is very exciting, from the moment you walk into the store to buy it the moment you pop it into your machine. I have a personal satisfaction of having got every version of this series on the first day of it's release. It's just something I have to do. If I had got it tomorrow, I would have been sad. It's silly, yes, but it's just so nice to know that there's a rugby game out there for us all to play. Cheers, everyone.

[/b]

1.) Yea those happen a lot if you have a quick winger like shane williams or rocokoco (anyone with really good speed on the wing should be able to exploit it)

2.)Not all the time usually with the weaker teams that happens a lot, but when i played against larkham they tried to run it out a lot

3.) Same as previous years really just the quicker pace of the game makes it a little harder to get the lil guy down

4.) Released here today!! :)

Answering questions on the "advanced controls"

i really havent found the need to use them, they state "advanced controls" at the scrum as being able to turn it and push it kinda bullshit i know!! :lol:

the lineout is a little different you can use the analog way or the single set up of pressing a button twice( x for front throw, x for front catch) and if you push the left analog stick left or right during the throw you can angle it the more you hold it the more you will angle the throw etc.

I'm in New York and also have it. The pitch seems bigger for some reason, but that may just be me. It is MUCH faster paced, but that being said, I put it on Elite and beat the Cheetahs with the Waratahs 41-21. Taquiri (sp) is a monster. I thought I'd get roughed up a bit, it being my first game and all, but after allowing two tries (due to the LACK of camera angles I'm used to), I got the hang of it and won easily.

I may give side angle a shot because my Classic 2 is nowhere to be found and it'll look more like a TV presentation if I do.

Was the PC version also released in the States today? How accurate are the rosters? Any chance of getting a screenshot of the Samoan rosters. Cheers for the reviews guys and thanks for any answers.

Why did the US get it first! lol im outraged haha nah algood.

By the sounds of it, its better than 06, although there hasn't really been concrete evidence said by the americans.

They all said its faster, camera angles took a bit of getting used to, What i really want to know is, is it better than 06? is it worth buying?

yeah that is the big question candybum without doubt. I would also like to know what the longevity is like for the single player experince. because for me without online or lan play my multiplayer experinces will be very rare. rl 2 well not the greatest game ever did at least with the 10 year franchise mode have a fairly long singleplayer experince.

yeah that is the big question candybum without doubt. I would also like to know what the longevity is like for the single player experince. because for me without online or lan play my multiplayer experinces will be very rare. rl 2 well not the greatest game ever did at least with the 10 year franchise mode have a fairly long singleplayer experince.
[/b]

It was 30 dollars American for me, so it was a no brainer to buy. I LOVED 06 (it was the best sports game of that year IMO) and this one looks to be another love affair. I'm not one of those who tire of World League and I always play tourneys with different teams, so I'll be into it until the next one comes out. As far as I'm concerned, it FEELS like Rugby and that's a good thing. I was the Sharks and beat the Bulls with a last second try, so THAT felt good....

Are the french teams and players liscensed. i hated playing with S. Batson instean of Serge Betsen.

Also Are the island rosters updated and can you pick wheter u play night or day in any stadium.

Thanks

Is the Western Force pickable in World League + is Subiaco added as a stadium? As much as I hate the stadium I hate getting taunted by the pretty cool looking 'Southern Stadium' or whatever it was called in 06...

and my question is , can you rename original players similar to the option in Cricket 07 ( Squad management menu ) ?

thks

Yes!! Finally, hope seems in sight!

Okay -- all those lucky ******** who've got the game: Is the Force's Subiaco Oval (Perth) and the Cheetah's Bloemfontein stadium included?!

Please!

I swear I'll buy the game just for this.

Oh and is Pretoria (and Bloemfontein - if it's in the game), a day or night stadium?

How come the games out in America. Over here we get it delayed (I'm now off on a three-month holiday before I get the game). I assumed it was to sort out problems but it seems to be so that EA can cater to their beloved US market, which is also much smaller.

And this isn't sour grapes at all - I'm totally not jealous. :ranting:

As for my questions is the Rec (Recreation Ground, Bath) in it? What rating are Bath?

Do players stand 10 metres away for kickable penalties i.e when kicking a penalty goal in Rugby 06 they always stood behind the goalline which meant if it came off the post it was between you and them and you usually won even though you shouldn't?

Do challenges use historical or current rosters?

How can Tuqiri have a star? That's just stupid IMO. EA really doesn't know Sh*t about Rugby do they?

Latest posts