• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Naked, drunk Zac in bar assault

?

Drinking is bad kids, stay away.

Teetotallers FTW!

Haven't heard about Max Evans case in while, wonder what's happening...

I agree with people feelling sorry for Gear. The guys been pure class, always trying and never holding a grudge. He deserved to get Guildford's place at least against Canada.

The thing about Guildford, is that he is troubled. I don't think everyone turning on him will help him get better, but there does need to be accountability. He's a 22 year old guy who's dad died a few years back and there seems to be a serious drinking problem forming. With that in mind, there have been plenty of players such as Brad Thorn, Jimmy Cowan, Doug Howlett, Sonny Bill Williams etc, who have all had drinking issues (not quite as bad incident mind you) and on the whole they've eventually sorted it out.

[video]http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/video.cfm?c_id=1&gal_objectid=10765719&gallery_id=121578[/video]

What constitutes a drinking problem however ? Getting ****ed constantly and being a thundering disgrace of yourself would in my opinion ,

An isolated instance of being a fool however does not in my opinion.

Well, I would think that if one's drinking gets in the way of his/ her work/ career, then it is a porblem.

His career is based on his body, and he has previous run ins and problems with management over his drinking, mind away against Aussies in Aussieland.

So this gets in the way of his training.

Meh, I'll leave it te yi lot ov drug drinking experts ;)

Well, I would think that if one's drinking gets in the way of his/ her work/ career, then it is a porblem.

His career is based on his body, and he has previous run ins and problems with management over his drinking, mind away against Aussies in Aussieland.

This, pretty much.

Most people have a higher threshold than sportsmen. If you're just a regular person with a regular job, you only have a "drinking problem" if it causes you to miss work, or if a student, miss classes/get bad grades because you were drinking the night before an exam or drinking instead of doing homework, etc. I don't know about you, but I imagine most jobs, you can show up to having drunk quite a bit the night before, and while you might be a bit hung over, you'll still be able to do your job for the most part. I've learned the hard way that while I can get trashed on a school night and be fine in class the next day, if I pulled that stunt before I had a training session or match for whatever sport I was involved in at the time, the results would be pretty horrible.

Not to mention, being a professional, it's his job to stay in peak physical condition. I can't imagine you can get away with much drinking to stay that fit. In contrast, maybe the amount he drinks is relatively moderate compared to someone who's not a professional sportsman but they don't have a job that demands they stay super fit year-round.

This, pretty much.

Most people have a higher threshold than sportsmen. If you're just a regular person with a regular job, you only have a "drinking problem" if it causes you to miss work, or if a student, miss classes/get bad grades because you were drinking the night before an exam or drinking instead of doing homework, etc. I don't know about you, but I imagine most jobs, you can show up to having drunk quite a bit the night before, and while you might be a bit hung over, you'll still be able to do your job for the most part. I've learned the hard way that while I can get trashed on a school night and be fine in class the next day, if I pulled that stunt before I had a training session or match for whatever sport I was involved in at the time, the results would be pretty horrible.

Not to mention, being a professional, it's his job to stay in peak physical condition. I can't imagine you can get away with much drinking to stay that fit. In contrast, maybe the amount he drinks is relatively moderate compared to someone who's not a professional sportsman but they don't have a job that demands they stay super fit year-round.
I found out I have a drinking problem today so :p

Dude got on the **** on holiday, crashed his scooter, grazed him self up, was givin antibotics, and mixed with alcohol you are gonna be messed up, happend to me a few times. Must have bee out of his mind when he walked into that bar poor fella. His responsonbily though so hes gonna have to face it

Wow, just wow. Thats a crazy story, I am not going to criticize him too much though because although its bad I think most people have done messed up things whilst drunk at that age. He will pay the price though and hopefully learn from it.

He obviously has some serious issues that he needs to deal with. I would not be so fast to judge before an official statement has been made. And everyone does some stupid stuff sometimes and alot of people even get into stupid bar fights because they're drunk. But not all people are AllBlacks. Not sure how I'd handle this, I think I'd try and fix him before making any judgement on his rugby carreer. Yes, what he has done is bad/wrong/etc. did he seriously hurt anyone? No. He could've done though, but he has obviously got a drinking issue as its not his first problem. They've got to crack down on it.

He obviously has some serious issues that he needs to deal with. I would not be so fast to judge before an official statement has been made. And everyone does some stupid stuff sometimes and alot of people even get into stupid bar fights because they're drunk. But not all people are AllBlacks. Not sure how I'd handle this, I think I'd try and fix him before making any judgement on his rugby carreer. Yes, what he has done is bad/wrong/etc. did he seriously hurt anyone? No. He could've done though, but he has obviously got a drinking issue as its not his first problem. They've got to crack down on it.

An official statement has been made I posted the link to the press conference a few posts ago.

Dude got on the **** on holiday, crashed his scooter, grazed him self up, was givin antibotics, and mixed with alcohol you are gonna be messed up, happend to me a few times. Must have bee out of his mind when he walked into that bar poor fella. His responsonbily though so hes gonna have to face it

Absolutely. I too suffered memory loss on the night I drank while on antibiotics. I can totally understand Zacs 'buzz'. It wouldve been all good if he wasnt an All Black but he is and just like every other celebrity, his business is everyones business.

What I don't get is why does he have problems?? Is he Bipolar? does he suffer from depression? family history? Why does this young star have a problem???

I can understand if he went all Hangover 2 and if it was a once-off thing... We all do that...

But from the articles I read, it sounds like he has an addiction problem... And it's weird, he has a great job, my GF thinks he's one of the hottest rugby players in the world, he's young, he has his whole life ahead of him.

If he has an addiction or suffers from a mental or depression condition, then it's easy to handle, if he commits himself. but if it's something like PTSD, or family history, or domestic violence or something like that, it's going to be harder...

Respect to the NZRU in stating that they are going to help him.

What I don't get is why does he have problems?? Is he Bipolar? does he suffer from depression? family history? Why does this young star have a problem???

I can understand if he went all Hangover 2 and if it was a once-off thing... We all do that...

But from the articles I read, it sounds like he has an addiction problem... And it's weird, he has a great job, my GF thinks he's one of the hottest rugby players in the world, he's young, he has his whole life ahead of him.

If he has an addiction or suffers from a mental or depression condition, then it's easy to handle, if he commits himself. but if it's something like PTSD, or family history, or domestic violence or something like that, it's going to be harder...

He has drinking problems. So he likely has alcohol abuse. I love the weekend pyschology stuff.

DSM IV Criteria for Alcohol Abuse:

A maladaptive pattern of alcohol abuse leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by one or more of the following, occurring within a 12-month period:
Recurrent alcohol use resulting in failure to fulfil major role obligations at work, school, or home (e.g., repeated absences or poor work performance related to substance use; substance-related absences, suspensions or expulsions from school; or neglect of children or household).

• Recurrent alcohol use in situations in which it is physically hazardous (e.g., driving an automobile or operating a machine).
  • Recurrent alcohol-related legal problems (e.g., arrests for alcohol-related disorderly conduct).
  • Continued alcohol use despite persistent or recurrent social or interpersonal problems caused or exacerbated by the effects of the alcohol (e.g., arguments with spouse about consequences of intoxication or physical fights).
  1. These symptoms must never have met the criteria for alcohol dependence
If he has Alcohol Dependence:
A maladaptive pattern of alcohol use, leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by three or more of the following seven criteria, occurring at any time in the same 12-month period:
  1. Tolerance, as defined by either of the following:
    • A need for markedly increased amounts of alcohol to achieve intoxication or desired effect.
    • Markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of alcohol.
  2. Withdrawal, as defined by either of the following:
    • The characteristic withdrawal syndrome for alcohol (refer to DSM-IV for further details).
    • Alcohol is taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms.
  3. Alcohol is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended.
  4. There is a persistent desire or there are unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control alcohol use.
  5. A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain alcohol, use alcohol or recover from its effects.
  6. Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of alcohol use.
  7. Alcohol use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the alcohol (e.g., continued drinking despite recognition that an ulcer was made worse by alcohol consumption).
American Psychiatric Association. 1994. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (4th ed.) (DSM-IV). Washington, D.C.: APA.

I think losing his Father at the Junior RWC finals match would've played a big part. Not only for the trauma and emotional toll it would've taken.

The role of a father would have been to guide his son into trying to moderate/balance the good part of having a good time with bad.

Also, if it had been my dad, he would've smacked me over the first time I screwed up. :cool:

NZRU are in a pickle, being sponsored by Alcohol having a young and up and coming player with Alcohol problems. And, I'm becoming less and less a Corey Jane fan.

"It's not the problem of drinking, it's where you do it. If you're walking around nude or something, it's not the brightest thing to do in the public eye." - http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/5958958/Triathlete-Drunk-Guildford-harassed-me

(Or maybe I've taken it out of context)

Did his Dad not have a heart attack whilst in the stands watching the match? Pretty awful.

I think losing his Father at the Junior RWC finals match would've played a big part. Not only for the trauma and emotional toll it would've taken.

The role of a father would have been to guide his son into trying to moderate/balance the good part of having a good time with bad.

Also, if it had been my dad, he would've smacked me over the first time I screwed up. :cool:

NZRU are in a pickle, being sponsored by Alcohol having a young and up and coming player with Alcohol problems. And, I'm becoming less and less a Corey Jane fan.

"It's not the problem of drinking, it's where you do it. If you're walking around nude or something, it's not the brightest thing to do in the public eye." - http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/5958958/Triathlete-Drunk-Guildford-harassed-me

(Or maybe I've taken it out of context)

Cory Jane should just shut up.
Every time he comments or "tweets" he makes himself out to be more and more of an idiot.
"if you're walking around nude or whatever do it out of the public eye"
he conveniently misses out the part: "if you're walking around bleeding and punching 60ys olds you should also do that out of the public eye"
SHUT UP CORY YOU MORON - Guildford messed up big time, and it can't be brushed over by saying he should do it in private.

I think the problem lies in putting these guys up on pedestals, and labelling them role models.
If anyone looks at these guys to be role models for their children, well that just makes them poor parents in my book. Its up to the parents to teach their own kids what is, and what is not acceptable behaviour.

Honestly, I don't know anyone that has behaved like Guildford did, and Anti-biotics are no excuse. It says on the label not to mix with alcohol.
The guy has a problem with alcohol, so what does he do? take antibiotics and drink alcohol.
Moronic

All of his actions are almost forgivable up until the point he whacks a 60 YO man in the head. ZG is a big lad and could have seriously injured him. He is hopefully on last chance saloon with the ABs.

Latest posts