• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Natal Sharks | 2013 Currie Cup

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

Natal%20Sharks.png

It's almost here, everybody's favourite club in the best competition.
We have just announced Griffons utility back Hansie Graaff as our latest signing, following former Springbok second row Marco Wentzel.

Last edited:
Justin Downey (former Sharks backrow) and Rayno Gerber (TH Prop) have been unveiled as the latest signings.
Would like to see something like this for the Currie Cup

15 Louis Ludik
14 Sean Robinson
13 Heimar Williams
12 Tim Whitehead
11 Odwa Ndungane
10 Butch James
09 Cobus Reinach

01 Danie Mienie
02 Kyle Cooper
03 Wiehahn Herbst
04 Peet Marais
05 Edwin Hewitt
06 Keegan Daniel
07 Jean Deysel
08 Tera Mtembu

16 Monde Hadebe
17 Allan Dell/Rayno Gerber
18 Dale Chadwick
19 Marco Wentzel
20 Francois Kleinhans
21 Charl McLeod/Tian Meyer
22 Fred Zeilinga/Hansie Graaff
22 Tyler Fisher/Jaco van Tonder

Assuming the usual Springbok callups, that is.

James retired this month, right? I thought he only signed a 6-month contract

Don't want to see Butch in a Sharks, or any other rugby jersey for that matter, ever again.

Odwa did very, very well for the last few games, but I want to see a fresh start with exciting prospects played so that they don't leave us again.

So would like to see van Tonder starting.

Also seeing Hargreaves really reminds me how much we have missed him... come on Bresler hurry up and get fit...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 10
I just hope Robert du Preez and Stefan Ungerer get a shot during the Currie Cup. Those two were amazing at the JWRC.

James might be worth a shot if only to have someone somewhat reliable at standoff. Certainly look at others to move forward.
Same goes for Odwa.

Wentzel is 34 right now.

Source - http://www.supersport.com/rugby/currie-cup/news/130805/Venter_impressed_with_Sharks_squad

New Sharks director of rugby Brendan Venter is "very impressed" with the set up at the rugby union, he said on Monday.

"I've obviously worked extensively with a lot of good players before and the Sharks have got a really good squad. Their junior structures here are very healthy," he told reporters in Durban on Monday. The Sharks announced a 43-man squad for the Currie Cup, which they kick-off against Griquas at Kings Park on Friday.
The former Springbok centre was appointed to the role in June by the new CEO John Smit. He officially moved into the post at the start of August.
Venter was hoping to instil a solid playing structure from the junior levels at the union to the top.
"The Currie Cup has to be seen as the place where players get their opportunity. We need to be making sure this happens and one of the things we'll be working on is – we're meeting with the Under-19 and Under-21 coaches later – is to get the same culture that the main team has got running right through the organisation. We'd like them to be playing in a similar style, something all the successful teams do."
Venter heads a new coaching system with Sean Everitt and Brad Macleod-Henderson as backs and forwards coaches respectively. Macleod-Henderson said the aim this year was to win the Currie Cup.
"In the process of doing that, some youngsters will be blooded. The Springboks are away so that does create a few more opportunities. Injuries are also bound to happen, so we'll see some youngsters along the way."
Among the new recruits for the season is veteran lock Marco Wentzel, signed from Wasps in England, as well as utility backs SP Marais, from the Southern Kings, and Griffons utility back Hansie Graaf.
Three names missing from the squad list were Riaan Viljoen and Jandre Marais. Bok back JP Pietersen has left for Japan.
Keegan Daniel has also been confirmed as captain, with Jacques Botes acting as his deputy.
THE SHARKS SQUAD : Willem Alberts Jacques Botes, Anton Bresler, Craig Burden, Dale Chadwick, Marcell Coetzee, Kyle Cooper, Keegan Daniel (captain), Jean Deysel, Justin Downey, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Rayno Gerber, Hansie Graaf, Monde Hadebe, Wiehahn Herbst, Edwin Hewitt, Butch James, Paul Jordaan, Marius Joubert, Francois Kleinhans, Patrick Lambie, Louis Ludik, Peet Marais, Sizo Maseko, Charl McLeod, Danie Mienie, Tendai Mtawarira, Lubabalo Mtembu, Lwazi Mvovo, Odwa Ndungane, Cobus Reinach, Sean Robinson, S'bura Sithole, Brynard Stander, Francois Steyn, Jaco van Tonder, Marco Wentzel, Tim Whitehead, Heimar Williams, Fred Zeilinga, SP Marais.

Some sources saying SP Marais is Free State-bound.
Decent FB cover, but no Louis Ludik (PLEASE STAY!!!) I did say a few weeks back we should go after him or Coetzee depending on who is promoted, so 1 point to me.
I fully expect Eze to threaten to jump with Daniel as captain, but we need him for his Dutch madness. I feel awful lonely without Eze and Seaton here, come back for the CC lads!
How is Alastair getting on for the Saracens? Always a decent player for us. Having Muller, Hargreaves, Sykes, Mostert, and Skeate at various times seems a world away. Bresler had a few appearances with these lads, but mostly an entirely different second row group. Still gutted about Marais Sr. I hope we can keep Peet and lure Jandre back soon.

What's the story with Ludik and Viljoen, are they leaving?

What's the story with Ludik and Viljoen, are they leaving?
Riaan is off to Japan. Wish we would have tried harder with him. We never gave him a chance to settle.
Louis will probably off to Agen in France after the Currie Cup. We are planning on shifting Ndungane to fullback and using Louis at outside centre. Disappointing when we have young players like Williams, Fisher, and Esterhuizen coming through.

Butch is part of the Currie Cup squad, but injured, so Fred Zeilinga could start v Griquas on Friday. Hansie Graaff is also injured, so we could see Rob du Preez on the bench.

Really am annoyed about having Ludik continue at 13. That was Plum's tinkering, leave it there.

Really am annoyed about having Ludik continue at 13. That was Plum's tinkering, leave it there.

Back in the dark days where our midfield was Joubert, an ancient Terbs, and Jacobs, I suggested Ludik to outside centre. Now we have young talent coming through, but they now decide to try my suggestion. Madness. Stupid logic, we want to keep Ludik, so we play him out of position.

Let's do a depth chart! (Based on the squad given and believed player positions)
15 Odwa Ndungane | Jaco van Tonder | SP Marais
14 Sean Robinson | Sizo Maseko | Andre Esterhuizen to fullback, bring Odwa/Jaco/SP out wide
13 Louis Ludik | Marius Joubert | Tyler Fisher
12 Tim Whitehead | Francois Steyn | Heimar Williams
11 Lwazi Mvovo | Sibusiso Sithole | Hansie Graaff (can cover most back positions)
10 Patrick Lambie | Butch James | Fred Zeilinga
9 Cobus Reinach | Charl McLeod | What happened to Tian? Maybe a nipper

1 Tendai Mtawarira | Dale Chadwick | Danie Mienie
2 Bismarck du Plessis | Kyle Cooper | Monde Hadebe
3 Jannie du Plessis | Wiehahn Herbst | Rayno Gerber
4 Pieter Steph du Toit | Edwin Hewitt | ?
5 Anton Bresler | Marco Wentzel | Peet Marais
6 Jacques Botes | Francois Kleinhans | Brynard Stander
7 Jean Deysel | Marcell Coetzee | Justin Downey
8 Keegan Daniel | Tera Mtembu | Willem Alberts

SP Marias is a rough diamond, invest in him at 15
Ludik wants to go play overseas and until then use him as a stop gap player

SP Marias is a rough diamond, invest in him at 15
Ludik wants to go play overseas and until then use him as a stop gap player

Yeah, it is just a shame Louis is leaving.
He really should have had an appearance in the Bok squad by now.
Now I worry that we will use Odwa at fullback rather than develop a younger player.

Ludik should have at least have a call up to the Boks in the last 3 years, in which he was better than Kirchner on a weekly basis.

Being completely ignored by Heyneke Meyer pushes him towards moving to Europe and I don't blame him. We have the talent to replace him but it will be difficult to see him go. Definitely one of my fav. Sharks over the last couple of years.

Ludik should have at least have a call up to the Boks in the last 3 years, in which he was better than Kirchner on a weekly basis.

Being completely ignored by Heyneke Meyer pushes him towards moving to Europe and I don't blame him. We have the talent to replace him but it will be difficult to see him go. Definitely one of my fav. Sharks over the last couple of years.

Up to 2011 he had injuries on-and-off. We brought in Viljoen in case it continued, and it didn't. Shame we lose both.

Well, it's not something we can stop and we have to accept it.

I just hope we see some fresh blood, especially in the backline. Heimar Williams needs to step up after several years captaining the junior teams. I also can't wait for Ungerer, Venter, Zeilinga and du Preez to get a shot.

I see Brynard Stander is starting against Griquas.

Heimar has never been given a shot, really. Looked decent v snoiL a few months back. Has to be a better option than old man Joubert.
Ungerer, Venter, and du Preez should get a little bit of time, but I'd rather see them play a full match week-in week-out than 5-10 minutes in the CC.

Very surprised to see Brynard start, gutted I'm going to miss the match! My only hope is someone on youtube does what they did last year and upload the matches. That or I journey over the Aussie sea.

CC squad page has Nicolas/Maks van Dyk listed, as well as du Preez, Esterhuizen, and Ungerer, good to see! They are some big lads, Esterhuizen, du Preez, Graaff all over 190cm and nearing 100kg. Ungerer is 185cm, so a larger SH. Seems like we see Hansie primarily as a fullback. I'd like to see a big, ball-playing inside centre (like what we wanted Steyn to do). If he or du Preez could fill that role, they would have a decent chance cracking the team. Will be nice to have Zeilinga and soon Jean-Luc du Plessis nipping at Patrick's heels. We have some cracking little'uns coming through, just need a few young second rows (Jandre...).

Latest posts