• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Nationality Debate

What Should Be The Rules Regarding Nationality?

• Players should be able to play for any country they like

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The current rules of 3 year residency are enough for a non-native

• The current rules are good but the residency period should be extended

• Representing a country at junior level commits you to them for life.

• You should only be allowed to play in your country of origin, in which for example you've been born/

• Total voters
As for the "discovery" of America...Or I'd rather say the "European discovery of America"...I did not happen in 1492 for the first time with Columbus. The first European to arrive in America was Leif Ericsson (the son of Erik Thorvaldsson, also known as Erik The Red) in the year 1000. The vikings were the first ones, as usual.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Nov 8 2008, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 7 2008, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Nov 7 2008, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Name me players that said no?[/b]
Why?
[/b][/quote]

He's got a point to prove im afraid!
[/b][/quote]

The only one with a point to prove is you with your stupid assertion about Regan King being capped just to stop him for playing for someone else.

And i'm impressed, 40 posts and no one has accused New Zealand of poaching Jonah Lomu.

Oh, and for the record, Jake White tried to convince Greg Rawlinson multiple times to play for the Springboks which he rejected. Isa Nacewa also turned Fiji down multiple times. Samo was even named in a Fiji squad before he didn't show up and played for the Wannabes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rodri_arg91 @ Nov 16 2008, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As for the "discovery" of America...Or I'd rather say the "European discovery of America"...I did not happen in 1492 for the first time with Columbus. The first European to arrive in America was Leif Ericsson (the son of Erik Thorvaldsson, also known as Erik The Red) in the year 1000. The vikings were the first ones, as usual.[/b]

I know about the Vikings and their failure in colonizing the Newfoundland, so let's say that the history of the current American countries were much more impacted by the 1492 Columbus arrival than the brief visits of the Vikings.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Nov 17 2008, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Nov 8 2008, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 7 2008, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why?
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

The only one with a point to prove is you with your stupid assertion about Regan King being capped just to stop him for playing for someone else.

And i'm impressed, 40 posts and no one has accused New Zealand of poaching Jonah Lomu.

Oh, and for the record, Jake White tried to convince Greg Rawlinson multiple times to play for the Springboks which he rejected. Isa Nacewa also turned Fiji down multiple times. Samo was even named in a Fiji squad before he didn't show up and played for the Wannabes.
[/b][/quote]

Well done its taken you the best part of 10 days to work that out :bravo:
And for the record the only stupid one here is you who has to start getting personal! :bravo:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Nov 17 2008, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rodri_arg91 @ Nov 16 2008, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for the "discovery" of America...Or I'd rather say the "European discovery of America"...I did not happen in 1492 for the first time with Columbus. The first European to arrive in America was Leif Ericsson (the son of Erik Thorvaldsson, also known as Erik The Red) in the year 1000. The vikings were the first ones, as usual.[/b]

I know about the Vikings and their failure in colonizing the Newfoundland, so let's say that the history of the current American countries were much more impacted by the 1492 Columbus arrival than the brief visits of the Vikings.
[/b][/quote]

I know man, I'm just saying that Columbus wasn't the first one, as teachers wants us to believe at shool (at least in argentina). And I don't think the vikings made a real effort in colonizing "Vinland". Anyway, it is interesting to know the real history of America and realize that Columbus "didn't discover anything".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Nov 17 2008, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Nov 8 2008, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why?
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

:bravo:

myself, im fine with how the rules are. just look at league which is at the oppostie side of the spectrum. its a joke. however, i am enclined to ponder the "i only played one game/half/minute for a national team but i have been living in [insert country here] for 4 years, im settled here. please help me" to the irb.

i see both sides really. if your whole family is living in a country (including themselves) and you are a part of the comunity and cant represent it, thats a bit unfair. at the same time though, if you can go out on the pitch, in uniform, with 21 other players and do a haka - your pritty involved.

actually no, after all that, youve trained for several weeks, sung the anthem, done a haka, supported the team, and you still havent set foot on the pitch, its too late. most players would be older than me, or at least around the same age as me (20) when they have their debut, and i know which team i would play for.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rodri_arg91 @ Nov 19 2008, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Nov 17 2008, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rodri_arg91 @ Nov 16 2008, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I know man, I'm just saying that Columbus wasn't the first one, as teachers wants us to believe at shool (at least in argentina). And I don't think the vikings made a real effort in colonizing "Vinland". Anyway, it is interesting to know the real history of America and realize that Columbus "didn't discover anything".
[/b][/quote]

No problem with that, actually I guess that the Asian people who crossed the frozen Bearing sea have discovered the new world much before Vikings visits and Spain starting to colonise Americas.

You're both wrong.

North America was discovered in 1073 when 300 Million Munster Fans sailing to New Zealand for the famous match against the All Blacks took a wrong turn.

New York's been rockin' ever since...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rodri_arg91 @ Nov 16 2008, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i think it's acceptable to have players born in other countries playing for your national team. however, i do believe there should be a certain limit regarding the amount of international players playing for a country. i would reduce the number of international players to 5, so as to avoid having countries playing with 10 international players. for instance, when i look at the italian team, it is almost funny the fact that 9 players are argentinians, 2 are new zealanders, 1 is south african, and just 3 or 4 are italians. wtf? thats ridiculous.
dont get angry my italian fellows, i like your country :)[/b]

I'm Italian and I must admit that you're right.

We need some more italian born players, just to show if the level of rugby is raising up in our country.

Anyway I think that if someone has got the citizenship of your country (in any way) AND has never got a cap with another national team (senior and maybe U19), he should be eligible for your team without restriction: if he's italian he's not international ;)

If you got even a single cap.... well, I'm sorry

They can call you, you can say no :p

Big discussion going on here.

But I was having this chat with one of my colleagues from London: What's the use of having national teams in times where people are ( constantly) moving anyway.

From the first day the human being was on the globe he started moving around and this migration wave hasn't stopped since.
There are times when you have massive migrations e.g. wars etc...
and times where there is less migration.

When it comes to rugby I can imagine that certain countries want to keep their players for themself instead of moving away, getting a second nationality and starting to play for a different country.

In some cases like the Pacific Islands where a lot of players go to OZ or NZ, get there rugby education there and start playing for the Wallabies or AB I think they should be happy to let those people go and develop their talents on a higher level owing to not having the right facilities to help them develop them in their home country.

According to me this can be an endless discussion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Dec 2 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Big discussion going on here.

But I was having this chat with one of my colleagues from London: What's the use of having national teams in times where people are ( constantly) moving anyway.

From the first day the human being was on the globe he started moving around and this migration wave hasn't stopped since.
There are times when you have massive migrations e.g. wars etc...
and times where there is less migration.

When it comes to rugby I can imagine that certain countries want to keep their players for themself instead of moving away, getting a second nationality and starting to play for a different country.

In some cases like the Pacific Islands where a lot of players go to OZ or NZ, get there rugby education there and start playing for the Wallabies or AB I think they should be happy to let those people go and develop their talents on a higher level owing to not having the right facilities to help them develop them in their home country.

According to me this can be an endless discussion.[/b]

i still cannot understand why people still debate over whether non-english players should still play for England!(Flutey,Hartley, Stevens etc)

For Flutey, there is a little bit of a debate but for the other two, i don't know what the problem is! They have played a lot of rugby in England and have english relatives! I also heard that Armitage had been critisised for his nationality when he was playing minis rugby at the age of 8, IN ENGLAND!!!

Latest posts