• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NBA Thread

I felt sorry for O'Neill. He suffered the most out of that and he never went in to the stands.
Could have been one of the best of his generation...

And the fans were hardly innocent.

What a team that Indiana side was though. Should have won the whole thing...

Your right though...Artest was a loose cannon....hell of a player when his head was right though...

Anyone seen the Netflix Series the Last Dance?

Never been remotely in to Basketball, but that series is superb. Watched it twice through.

And the Malice at the Palace is also a good watch. About the fight between players and fans at the Detroit v Indiana game 2004

Might start watching a bit of basketball.
It was a fun bit of nostalgia, but I don't really understand why the world went so nuts about it. At the end of the day, it was a hagiography about a pretty dislikable person. Luc Longley's absense has been well documented, I could make my peace with that, but couldn't believe that they air brushed the whole four headed monster out of the history books. In the era of the big man, surely the strategy of recruiting big bodies and plenty of fouls in order to compete in a division containing Shaq, Ewing, Mourning and to a lesser extent Rick Smits deserved more acknowledgment as did those who played their role. All I remember is the occasional, out of context talking head with Bill Wennington. Along similar lines, I don't see how you could have a whole episode about Dennis Rodman without featuring Jack Haley (and possibly James Edwards?).

I'm too young for the Jordan bulls but I remember for the malice in palace. I remember my dad switching away from the game and then we went back and a riot was going on. The blame for it starting is really on the fans but artest should have known better. The documentary paints the pacers as a better basketball team than they really were. It was pretty early in the season and the spurs were amazing that year.
Fun fact, Tim donaghy, the referee who got in trouble for gambling was one of the refs that game.

chicago look legit but mavs just beating them shows how mavs could be serious players if doncic turns it on

One of my favourite things in sport is a good old fashioned choke. Step forward the Phoenix Suns, number 1 seed in the league with a crazy 78% win rate and 2-0 lead against the Mavericks. With the series tied at 3-3 and home advantage they step onto the court and score 27 points in the first half, the game was effectively over as a contest in the 1st quarter. That is about as big a choke as you can have in basketball surely?

A shame that the Bucks went out as I much prefer one of the remaining more physical interior focussed sides than 3 pointers from all corners.

Last edited:
One of my favourite things in sport is a good old fashioned choke. Step forward the Phoenix Suns, number 1 seed in the league with a crazy 78% win rate and 2-0 lead against the Grizzlies. With the series tied at 3-3 and home advantage they step onto the court and score 27 points in the first half, the game was effectively over as a contest in the 1st quarter. That is about as big a choke as you can have in basketball surely?

A shame that the Bucks went out as I much prefer one of the remaining more physical interior focussed sides than 3 pointers from all corners.
Thank you. I much prefer teams getting buckets at the rim compared to the Warriors who irrationally make me angry.

The Suns was one of the funniest things I've seen on sports. My fellow Demon Deac managed to disappear when he was needed the most.

Yeah, the lack of variety in tactics is a main reason I've switched off from the NBA. I really miss those defensive maestro Pistons sides as well as big interior men. I remember when the only main 3 point shooting centre was in the Sonics (Perkins?). Now loads of centres seem to shoot threes.

he's before my time but I remember Stojakavich (sp?) and Dirk as being the only big guys that could shoot. Now it seems that if you can't hit the corner three you are just an obstacle for the guys trying to get to the basket. If you aren't an elite rim protecter you aren't going to see the floor in the modern NBA.

@Le Frére Alpha good to see the hater business is turning profitable

he's before my time but I remember Stojakavich (sp?) and Dirk as being the only big guys that could shoot. Now it seems that if you can't hit the corner three you are just an obstacle for the guys trying to get to the basket. If you aren't an elite rim protecter you aren't going to see the floor in the modern NBA.

@Le Frére Alpha good to see the hater business is turning profitable

It's not hating when I'm right.

saw him play a bit Tuesday night will watch him again tonight. Absolute mutant and a real pleasure to watch.

The Lakers Anthony "Street Clothes" Davis survived last night's season opening game against Golden State without an injury. 🏀 It's a miracle!

Jordan vs Lebron will always be one of the most partisan discussions and I tend to find any GOAT debates tiresome. However it really is amazing how good Lebron is despite the fact he is clearly past his prime.

Will this make him the GOAT of basketball once be breaks it?
Still Jordan for me, but I don't profess to know enough about the sport to be too dogmatic about my opinion and suspect that the era you grew up in has a big influence on many people's opinions.

Latest posts