• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Never won a single scrum...

C

ChundaMars

Hey all, had Rugby 2005 for a while now and have NEVER won a scrum. No, not just never won against the feed, I never win my own put-ins. Every time a free kick gets called. It's as if the ref is calling me up for not feeding straight, but I'm not using the cheat buttons, so whats going on? About 50% of the time a free kick is also awarded against me at line-outs, without me pressing anything. I've got a new Logitech Dual Action so surely thats not the problem.
Please help me! Losing all the set pieces makes it impossible to win any difficult matches...
<

You are probably pressing the HOOK button at the wrong time. Before the ball comes in and youll conceed a FK.To win scrums you have to time the push and hook correctly - basicallly as you put the ball in.

get a normal controller mate....

put the ball in and straight tap the hook button-x button for xbox square i think for ps2

Ok sorry guys, should have said, this is on the PC, so the Logitech is as close to a "normal controller" as I'm going to get...
Good thought woodie but thats not it - I don't even get a chance to push the hook button or push, as soon as I press the feed button the ref blows his whistle and awards the free kick.
There's definitely only a button you push for cheating options isn't there? Wouldn't have anything to do with the right (unused) analogue stick?
Thanks for your help guys

I reckon the analog sticks (the right one not the left) are not centered correctly..... try to re calibrate it

try standing still with a player or try a different game and see if the right analog stick is slighty "drifting" to the right.....

thats probably why they are calling you for "not straight" in the line out and scrums

this happens to me when i tried the xbox version. i think it was similar in the lineouts.

something on the controller is obvioulsy triggering a signal that you are feeding the ball.

its definetley the controller.

Maybe the controls are mixed up, as you say that as soon as you feed it in the ref blows for a free kick, as this is what would happen if you pressed hook before feeding, and he would give a free kick for 'foot up'. I may be wrong, but I think the controls are switched round the wrong way. Hope this helps.

Yeah, it looks like it is my controller - but I just bought this! First time out of the box! When I go to Windows and look at it under Control Panel the right analogue stick gets stuck i.e. if I move it up, the cross stays at the top till I move it again. But I can't see anyway of calibrating it? Any ideas? I might have to harrass Logitech about this one...
Thanks for your help all
<

Could always try deleting it and reinstalling the software/plug n play. I find that fixes 85% of my computer problems

Surely you must be able to calibrate your gamepad ? Sounds one of the control sticks is constantly out of calibration if you are getting penalised without even hooking.

Coz it's not calibrated, it's automatically feeding the ball crookedly (and throwing in to line outs crookedly).

Once you've sorted that, you have to press the button to feed the ball to scrum, then just AFTER that, tap the hook button REPEATEDLY. I find that just one tap often leads to the hooker striking the ball, but then you get shoved off it coz it's stuck in the second row.

I play on pc using an x box controller (via an adapter). I calibrate mine by going to Control Panel-Game Controllers-select controller-properties-calibrate/remap buttons.

Incidentally, what's the best way to avoid turn overs in rucks/mauls ?

Good luck !

Just been on the Logitech website for Tech Services. Apprently their gamepads are all automatically calibrated when plugged in, so they suggest just what you did abes58 - unplug the controller then plug it back in again. Sounds like the electronic equivalent of banging the TV really hard with your fist to get a good signal...
<
Still don't see how it could hurt to have an option to calibrate manually, but hey...

Now I might be able to win some bloody games! Believe me, no matter how good you are, if you lose every single set piece in a match, every team is a challenge!

Go the Crusaders!

Originally posted by ChundaMars@Apr 4 2005, 09:38 PM
Ok sorry guys, should have said, this is on the PC, so the Logitech is as close to a "normal controller" as I'm going to get...
Good thought woodie but thats not it - I don't even get a chance to push the hook button or push, as soon as I press the feed button the ref blows his whistle and awards the free kick.
There's definitely only a button you push for cheating options isn't there? Wouldn't have anything to do with the right (unused) analogue stick?
Thanks for your help guys
I'm not sure where he got it from but my friend's got an adaptor plugs into usb input and u can put a PS2 controller in it. No, i'm serious.

Got it sorted guys... for anyone else who has had this problem, it looks like the registry file in Windows which stores calibration information can get corrupted. I went to the Logitech website www.logitech.com and looked up product support and you can download a small file from there which clears the calibration information. All fixed!
World Cup here I come...
<

This is a baffeling penalty. Please note it does not happen to me, but my computer opponent. Sometimes in the lineouts, as the hooker thriows in, the ref blws and awards me a free kick, Nothing went wrong......

Does anyone know what penalty he is rewarding?

Originally posted by Stormers@Apr 7 2005, 12:06 AM
This is a baffeling penalty. Please note it does not happen to me, but my computer opponent. Sometimes in the lineouts, as the hooker thriows in, the ref blws and awards me a free kick, Nothing went wrong......

Time wastage?

It is in there....
<

Originally posted by Los Lover+Apr 6 2005, 06:12 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Los Lover @ Apr 6 2005, 06:12 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Stormers
@Apr 7 2005, 12:06 AM

Time wastage?

It is in there....
<
[/b]
throw in not straight? Much like scrums you can angle the throw at the line. Maybe that's what is being called. Be nice if the commentary said what was being called.

Yeah, it's definitely for not throwing in straight. Same for scrums - if they're awarding a free kick, that's what it'll be, as throwing in not straight isn't a penalty offence as most of the time its a mistake, not deliberate cheating...

You can get away with a bit of an advantage in lineouts and scrums by slightly moving the R stick (on xbox anyway) in your teams direction. Once you do that hardly ever lose scrums save for not pushing at correct time. Push too far to the side and a penalty or free kick will be your punishment.

Latest posts