New Format

Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
Ok, I have had a thought re a new format but am pretty sure i know what people will say.

To start with i have to say i think the BEST format would be a full league, play everyone twice etc. BUT assuming that is never going to happen and say we are aiming to cut cost etc and having the comp as a feeder for super rugby.

How would a north south conference system go? say Southland, Otago, Cantabs, tasman, Wellington, Hawkes bay and Manawatu in the south and BOP, Naki, Waikato, Counties, Auckland, Harbour and Northland in the north. Top to from each play off?

There are so many flaws its not funny but i honestly dont think it is much worse than the current un-even system with its more or less random cross comp games.

The real extream of this would be to open up the Heartland champ into it and make it properly north island conference and south island conference

Really just a converstaion piece here

Not a terrible idea, and it's about as valid as the current format. I think they should just leave it as one 14 team division. If they need to make it shorter than 13 games each, then give everyone local derby games and then randomize the rest. I've said it a few times but it sucks for either Manawatu or Hawkes Bay as only one will get promoted to the premiership whereas they're both better sides than most in the 'better' division. If it was one comp they'd both be in line for semi final spots.

Yeah this format really sucks. Especially when the Championship sides have made the Premiership sides look like fools.

plus the current format has the same problem as the super season with everyone playing different combos of teams.

Latest posts