• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Rule: Penalty try conceders must be sent off

J

-JJ-

Watching World of Rugby this morning, apparently a new law has been passed where the person who commits the foul that leads to a penalty try must be sin binned or sent off.

Seems stupid to me. What happens if it comes from a scrum penalty like quite a few penalty tries are awarded from?

Originally posted by JJ-@Jan 15 2005, 11:05 AM
Watching World of Rugby this morning, apparently a new law has been passed where the person who commits the foul that leads to a penalty try must be sin binned or sent off.

Seems stupid to me. What happens if it comes from a scrum penalty like quite a few penalty tries are awarded from?
Verrrrrrry pointless.

And absurd, the more I think about it.

So the non-offending team get the 5 points, easy conversion, AND the opposition down to 14 men?

Why not go hog wild and have the offending team where tutu's while you're at it?

I heard that, but referees will now give less penalty tries becasue they don't want to be forced to get rid of the offender every time if it's not worth it. Another pointless bit of legislation to add to the list...........

Generally when a penalty try is given a professional foul is commited. Ive always thought that a penalty try should result in a yellow card.

I think its stupid and just like JJ said what if its a scrum are you going to send the forwards off
<

Originally posted by JJ-@Jan 15 2005, 11:05 AM

It says on the IRB website that the law has since then been altered. It now underlines the fact that the foul must be intentional:

"Therefore, if a penalty try is awarded as the result of a player intentionally offending, then the player must be either be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off. "

Originally posted by MarkHK@Jan 17 2005, 08:57 PM
"Therefore, if a penalty try is awarded as the result of a player intentionally offending, then the player must be either be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off. "
then whats the difference from what it used to be?

And for the scrum it should be the main instagator who collapsed it or if its not obvious then one of the props. Or the person who came through offside and dived on the ball before out. Or the person who fly kicked the ball out of the scrum from an offside position. Wouldnt be that hard

It would be very hard to penalise one person who collapsed the scrum.

Originally posted by Serge
or if its not obvious then one of the props
That's ridiculous. If it's not obvious who did it then no further action should be taken.

Originally posted by JJ-+Jan 18 2005, 02:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-JJ- @ Jan 18 2005, 02:50 PM)</div>
It would be very hard to penalise one person who collapsed the scrum.

<!--QuoteBegin-Serge
or if its not obvious then one of the props
That's ridiculous. If it's not obvious who did it then no further action should be taken. [/b]
Well then make it when someone cant be identified (singled out), then no one goes or captain goes either or. Itll lower continual infringing which you guys are always moaning about england doing, but yet you think things to prevent it are silly. Penalty tries always come from deliberate infringements so i dont see what the big issue is with binning someone with it

Isn't 5 points (inevitably 7) punishment enough?

I would think, hell, let them keep collapsing the scrum, we're getting points.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Jan 19 2005, 07:10 AM
How is that a punishment when the try would have been scored anyway?

Originally posted by Serge+Jan 19 2005, 02:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Serge @ Jan 19 2005, 02:48 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-captainamerica
@Jan 19 2005, 07:10 AM
How is that a punishment when the try would have been scored anyway? [/b]
YOU DON'T KNOW THAT.

I've seen plebians knock the ball on in the tryzone.

I've seen freaks run past the dead ball line.

I've seen charismatic junkies get held up in the tryzone.

Originally posted by captainamerica+Jan 20 2005, 09:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Jan 20 2005, 09:34 AM)</div>
Originally posted by Serge@Jan 19 2005, 02:48 PM

YOU DON'T KNOW THAT.

I've seen charismatic junkies get held up in the tryzone. [/b]
A penalty try is only to be awarded if you have no doubt in your mind that it would have been scored had there been no infrigement...

Originally posted by Serge+Jan 20 2005, 12:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Serge @ Jan 20 2005, 12:46 PM)</div>
Originally posted by captainamerica@Jan 20 2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Serge@Jan 19 2005, 02:48 PM

YOU DON'T KNOW THAT.

I've seen charismatic junkies get held up in the tryzone.
A penalty try is only to be awarded if you have no doubt in your mind that it would have been scored had there been no infrigement... [/b]
Dude, I understand that. But, as we all know, there is no way to predict what could/ or would happen. It's implied. But you never know for certain -- that's all I'm saying.

Latest posts