• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand - RWC 2015 Discussion Thread

Going back to the issue of drop kicks. The All Blacks have in the past have been very reluctant to use the drop kick as they thought they can win games without needing to use it (2007 and prior). This is coming straight from the horses mouth - Richie McCaw. I have been reading Richie McCaw's autobiography 'The Openside'. In the first few chapters of the book he mentions regularly how the All Blacks never had drop kick play in the playbook, they never practiced it. During the 2007 QF the message was sent from the coaches box to the captain to go for drop goals however Richie didn't have the confidence in young Luke McAlister and tried to stick to what worked which was the tight forward play expecting to score a try or get a penalty that way late in the game. Plus the fact they never practiced going for a drop goal, didn't know how to set it up as a team. This was evident as there was one moment late it in game the ABs were right in front of the posts rucking up inch by inch and in the pocket it was Tony Woodcock standing. According to McCaw the referee was too fearful of making and crucial decisions in the last 20 minutes - there was fear in his eyes but McCaw realised this too late.

The point to all this is that the ABs now understand the need for preparing for every situation. They have learned from past experiences that the style of rugby they play between world cups doesn't necessarilly win world cups and thus the need to adapt to in-game situations. BTW the book is a good read.

Its very frustrating to me that certain players probably wont be dropped because too much has been invested in them.

e.g. Sonny Bill

Either one of Crotty or Fekitoa will be dropped to make way for money bill wereas both deserve to be there in front of him. We dont need him, its so annoying hansen and co went above and beyond to get this bloke back to our shores when we have better local talent. OK fair enough in 2010- 2011 he actually deserved to be picked on warrant and was a valuable world cup squad member. Although he still complained about game time he received in the cup... mate you dont get to start above nonu because of your name.
Based on his form this year which isnt bad I may say, but not spectacular.. He wouldn't make my world cup squad and he certainly wouldn't make my 23 man team in a world cup final.
Although theres a 0% chance of him being dropped..

exhibit 2: Israel Dagg

The signs are so clear now. Hes not the current or the future. hes a waste of time. If he makes the squad I will be spewing and if he starts at fullback over Ben Smith I would say we deserve to loose the cup. (a bit far but just making a point). The man doesnt offer anything..

exhibit 3: Cory Jane

Still should be given a crack to show his worth and prove me wrong but plain and simply Naholo has the finese and finishing capabilities of Jane, more speed and more power. The only avenue he tips Naholo on is experience. Even Jane probably realises he cant compete.

My outside backs for the cup
Smith, Savea, Naholo, Piutau.

Skuddler will get his crack next year in place of Piutau. And before the anti Piutau parade come out the man offers more experience, versatility and just what you need in a world cup year

Latest posts