• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand Seven's Trial Squad for upcoming Commonwealth Games

ok this guy has got to be the most overrated player in the country right now

he made the all blacks last year after doing **** all for otago and the highlanders, now he's made the nz sevens team after barely playing any sevens rugby at all. has this guy ever even played sevens for nz?? i don't understand it, i've been watching him this season in the itm cup too and he still he hasn't done ****. maybe they're trying to develop him so they're putting him in these teams hoping he'll get better or something

I have to completely disagree. Watching the Otago games this year he seems to be a complete class above any other player in the backline. He doesn't make huge breaks, but he does make the right decision nearly every time, sets up other players well, is very good on defense, and has a phenomenal workrate.

In my opinion he wouldn't be in the top 5-6 wings in the country (but I'd certainly rate him in the top 10), as he lacks the pace/power of most top NZ wings. He is a much better fullback, and he was exceptional there for Otago last season. His best chance to make the AB's is as a midfield back, as one of his main strengths is setting up other players. I think he will make the AB's again, as he a very talented player but is playing for a crap team in what is not his best position - I'm sure most people think that Conrad Smith was a pretty poor player if he was playing on the wing for Otago and the Highlanders!

He looks to have all the skills to play sevens (and he has played a few games of Sevens for Otago) - I think people are going to be very surprised how good this guy is when he's actually playing alongside some quality players!

ben smith is a quality player, high work rate hardly makes mistakes and seems to always be involved. He's an asset to any team he's in, he had one test last year and he really impressed, he's got a great skillset.

Bit of a shame Messam has missed out because of AB duty, he would have been the icing on the cake for this squad with his passing game as good as it is right now.

But with the likes of
Stowers
Gear
Thompson
Baker

And some cool heads like Ben Smith & Zac Guildford, it's a very quality side.

Adam Thomson has been ruled out after damaging his knee playing versus Northland in the weekend - he will be a big loss as he's a very talented sevens player (http://tvnz.co.nz/all-blacks/thomson-s-gold-rush-over-before-begins-3790375). Solomin King is on standby, so would be obvious choice to replace him, however apparently he has a leg injury himself. Thomsons injury is really unfortunate as it will also rule him out of contention for the end of year All Blacks tour - he would have been a serious contender as he's been in outstanding form for Otago over recent weeks.

On a positive note, Tamasi Cama is scheduled to be back next weekend from his injury (fractured cheek), while DJ Forbes had his first match back for Counties in the weekend, after recovering from his groin injury.

Adam Thomson has been ruled out after damaging his knee playing versus Northland in the weekend - he will be a big loss as he's a very talented sevens player (http://tvnz.co.nz/all-blacks/thomson-s-gold-rush-over-before-begins-3790375). Solomin King is on standby, so would be obvious choice to replace him, however apparently he has a leg injury himself. Thomsons injury is really unfortunate as it will also rule him out of contention for the end of year All Blacks tour - he would have been a serious contender as he's been in outstanding form for Otago over recent weeks.

On a positive note, Tamasi Cama is scheduled to be back next weekend from his injury (fractured cheek), while DJ Forbes had his first match back for Counties in the weekend, after recovering from his groin injury.

I'm becoming less and less confident about this team every day.. the team was shakey initially, but now with the best fetcher out? Solomon King is a bruising player but its swapping apples for oranges.
On top of that DJ Forbes is obviously nowhere near 100%, it said in the paper that he hadn't been able to run since May.. is he really going to be ready? Cama seems like another who is being rushed back. I would rather they picked fully fit players who aren't as experienced than experienced players who aren't really up to it.

Compare this lot to the 1998 Kuala Lumpur CWG gold winning team:

Jonah Lomu
Christian Cullen
Joeli Vidiri
Bruce Reihana
Rico Gear
Roger Randle
Amasio Valence
Eric Rush
Dallas Seymour
Caleb Ralph

The 2010 version would get smoked, who would even be able to make it into this lineup?

I'm becoming less and less confident about this team every day.. the team was shakey initially, but now with the best fetcher out? Solomon King is a bruising player but its swapping apples for oranges.
On top of that DJ Forbes is obviously nowhere near 100%, it said in the paper that he hadn't been able to run since May.. is he really going to be ready? Cama seems like another who is being rushed back. I would rather they picked fully fit players who aren't as experienced than experienced players who aren't really up to it.

Compare this lot to the 1998 Kuala Lumpur CWG gold winning team:

Jonah Lomu
Christian Cullen
Joeli Vidiri
Bruce Reihana
Rico Gear
Roger Randle
Amasio Valence
Eric Rush
Dallas Seymour
Caleb Ralph

The 2010 version would get smoked, who would even be able to make it into this lineup?

1999 was a very impressive team indeed. Hosea Gear is the only one who I'd put in that team, over the likes of Caleb Ralph, Rico Gear, Roger Randle (although I always feel sorry for Roger Randle), Bruce Reihana and even the great Joeli Vidiri.

I share your sentiments about how the team is looking more and more rocky. With no Thompson and an injured Forbes, it seems we have all the talent we need in the backs, but we'll struggle to get the ball.

Last edited:
1999 was a very impressive team indeed. Hosea Gear is the only one who I'd put in that team, over the likes of Caleb Ralph, Rico Gear, Roger Randle (although I always feel sorry for Roger Randle), Bruce Reihana and even the great Joeli Vidiri.

I share your sentiments about how the team is looking more and more rocky. With no Thompson and an injured Forbes, it seems we have all the talent we need in the backs, but we'll struggle to get the ball.

I agree with all those decisions except Rico, he was dynamite that year. It was his first year out of school and the selector had picked him from nowhere, he was this skinny maori kid with a pony tail and he was absolutely electric. He was a completely different player to the one who made the All Blacks.. He used to be an agile creative centre but had to turn himself into a 1 dimensional finisher to get picked. Now ironically Hosea can't get picked because he is a "1 dimensional finisher".. funny how things work out like that.

You done your lab report by the way?

Yeah I'm a bit worried about how this team is going to win the ball in the forwards. The more I think about it, the bigger the loss of Thomson seems - not only was he one of the teams best fetchers (if not the best), he was also undoubtedly going to be their primary aerial player, both at lineouts and catching the kickoffs (something that is particularly important in sevens). That is not to mention the very impressive running game he possesses....

Apparently all the players who trialled with sevens squad earlier in the year are now officially on standby (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4148017/Tietjens-on-edge-as-Commonwealth-Games-loom) - as such, I'd be tempted to include Edwin Cocker in the squad as Thomson's replacement, as I think he is the best fetcher of the other sevens forwards available (King, Lee, Hona).

Yeah I'm a bit worried about how this team is going to win the ball in the forwards. The more I think about it, the bigger the loss of Thomson seems - not only was he one of the teams best fetchers (if not the best), he was also undoubtedly going to be their primary aerial player, both at lineouts and catching the kickoffs (something that is particularly important in sevens). That is not to mention the very impressive running game he possesses....

Apparently all the players who trialled with sevens squad earlier in the year are now officially on standby (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4148017/Tietjens-on-edge-as-Commonwealth-Games-loom) - as such, I'd be tempted to include Edwin Cocker in the squad as Thomson's replacement, as I think he is the best fetcher of the other sevens forwards available (King, Lee, Hona).

With the form of Robbie Fruean, Julian Savea and Save Tokula. Teitjens is probably kicking himself for naming his squad so early

I've heard today that they are considering bringing Paul Grant into the squad to replace Thomson, despite the fact he wasn't in the original training squad (I think he was injured at the time). While I'm not a huge fan of him, he is tall and has a strong aerial game, which the NZ team lacks without Thomson.

I agree with all those decisions except Rico, he was dynamite that year. It was his first year out of school and the selector had picked him from nowhere, he was this skinny maori kid with a pony tail and he was absolutely electric. He was a completely different player to the one who made the All Blacks.. He used to be an agile creative centre but had to turn himself into a 1 dimensional finisher to get picked. Now ironically Hosea can't get picked because he is a "1 dimensional finisher".. funny how things work out like that.

You done your lab report by the way?

Yeah, Rico was a very good player that year. He shined for the Crusaders more then All Blacks in my opinion.

Haha, finished my lab report at 4:30am. Woke up and left for Uni at 6:50am. I'm knackered, but yeah, I handed my report in today. How about you?

Players just keep getting injured I heard Save Tokula and Brendan Leonard could be on the injury list. I don't think Tokula's is serious so don't think he'll miss the 7's.

Yeah, Rico was a very good player that year. He shined for the Crusaders more then All Blacks in my opinion.

Haha, finished my lab report at 4:30am. Woke up and left for Uni at 6:50am. I'm knackered, but yeah, I handed my report in today. How about you?

Pretending to write it right now. i can't express how much i hate this assignment.

Pretending to write it right now. i can't express how much i hate this assignment.

Haha, well I'll recommend the obvious and go through your draft report very cearfully, changing marked mistakes, and then look over the general lab report notes that should be provided with your lab report, and just make sure it fits all the criteria. The referencing is easy, in fact there is "recommended readings" on blackboard, which has pretty much all the referenced articles listed. Then you just note the changes which isn't too bad (I had some really silly bulk notes, like "added 's' to hemispheres").

Haha, well I'll recommend the obvious and go through your draft report very cearfully, changing marked mistakes, and then look over the general lab report notes that should be provided with your lab report, and just make sure it fits all the criteria. The referencing is easy, in fact there is "recommended readings" on blackboard, which has pretty much all the referenced articles listed. Then you just note the changes which isn't too bad (I had some really silly bulk notes, like "added 's' to hemispheres").

I just dont really care, which is a bit of an issue. I didn't really have a problem last semester but this time around.. REA LEA? who caaares, i have fallen asleep reading these articles too many times to count. I come and post here so my brain doesn't shut off due to boredom. Ehh well thats my whinge haha anyway rugby sevens right how about that..

I just dont really care, which is a bit of an issue. I didn't really have a problem last semester but this time around.. REA LEA? who caaares, i have fallen asleep reading these articles too many times to count. I come and post here so my brain doesn't shut off due to boredom. Ehh well thats my whinge haha anyway rugby sevens right how about that..

Dude, are you doing social psychology?

Was just browsing and came across the 2006 common wealth gold team:

Josh Blackie
Alando Soakai
Tanerau Latimer
Onosai Tololima-Auva'a
Liam Messam
Tafai Ioasa
Amasio Valence
Tamati Ellison
Nigel Hunt
Cory Jane
Lote Raikabula
Sosene Anesi

Those first 6 forwards are all lethal fetchers, its weird that none of them got a look in this time around.. Alando Soakai or Tanerau Latimer would have been just what the team needed.

Latest posts