Newcastle Falcons vs Worcester Warriors

Discussion in 'Aviva Premiership / LV Cup' started by Prestwick, Jan 5, 2008.

  1. Prestwick

    Prestwick Guest

    <div align="center">Worcester: Delport; Gear, Rasmussen, Tuitupo, Benjamin; Crichton, Powell; Morris, Lutui, Taumoepeau, Rawlinson, Gillies, Wood, Sanderson ©, Hickey.
    Replacements: Ruwers, Mullan, Bowley, Quinnell, Arr, Brown, Pennell.

    [/left]</div><div align="center"> </div>
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

  3. getofmeland

    getofmeland Guest

    Newcastle 15-12 Worcester
    Newcastle: (6) 15

    Pens: Wilkinson 4
    Drops: Wilkinson

    Worcester: (5) 12
    Tries: Benjamin, Gear
    Cons: Crichton

    Newcastle were indebted to fly-half Jonny Wilkinson for salvaging a victory against winless Worcester. The England fly-half slotted a penalty and drop-goal inside the last 20 minutes to deny the Warriors, who led 12-9 after Rico Gear's converted try.

    The Falcons edged the first half 6-5 after two Wilkinson penalties to a try from Worcester wing Miles Benjamin.

    But Warriors were unable to shackle Wilkinson and settled for a bonus point to edge away from bottom side Leeds.

    Newcastle's fifth victory of the campaign took them above Wasps to seventh in the Premiership.

    In the first half, Loki Crichton missed a sixth-minute penalty but Newcastle enjoyed the lion's share of the possession without coming away with points.

    Worcester punished Newcastle's lack of precision when Benjamin nipped over in the corner for a 5-3 lead after 29 minutes before Wilkinson slotted a second penalty.

    The World Cup star added another just after half-time but he missed a chance to make it 12-5 when his 51st-minute penalty from 45 metres out fell agonisingly short.

    The Warriors were on top for much of the second half and had two key chances ruled out when referee Rob Debney decided the ball had been held up on both occasions.

    Gear's score took Worcester into the lead but despite some late Warriors pressure, the Falcons equalised when Tom May was taken out off the ball.

    And they clinched the win after manoeuvring Wilkinson into position for the drop-goal on the 22.

    Newcastle: Tait, May, Visser, Flood, Rudd, Wilkinson, Grindal, Golding, Long, Hayman, Perry, Sorenson, Parling, Woods, B. Wilson.
    Replacements: Thompson, Ward, Tomes, Winter, Dickson, Jones, Phillips.

    Worcester: Delport, Gear, Rasmussen, Tuitupou, Benjamin, Crichton, M. Powell, Morris, Lutui, Tuamoepeau, Rawlinson, Gillies, Wood, Sanderson, Hickey.
    Replacements: Mullan, Ruwers, Bowley, Quinnell, Arr, Brown, Pennell.

    Referee: Rob Debney (Leicestershire)

    Story from BBC SPORT:
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!

Share This Page