• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NFL Thread

cin.png&h=110&w=110 vs lar.png&h=110&w=110

Super Bowl LVI

When: 6:30 p.m. ET Sunday, Feb. 13, on NBC
Where: SoFi Stadium, Inglewood, California
Opening line: Rams -3.5 (O/U 50)

The word's been out awhile, but today the name change became official.

Washington Commanders logo Washington Commanders wordmark

Last edited:
The word's been out awhile, but today the name change became official.

Washington Commanders logo Washington Commanders wordmark
I can see why they went down a military route, but personally I'd have gone more down the naval route if there is a sizeable naval and marine presence in the capital. Washington Armada was the suggestion I liked best of those I heard. Maybe they didn't want to alienate the army and airforce, so opted for a more generic term.

I can see why they went down a military route, but personally I'd have gone more down the naval route if there is a sizeable naval and marine presence in the capital. Washington Armada was the suggestion I liked best of those I heard. Maybe they didn't want to alienate the army and airforce, so opted for a more generic term.
The US Navy does have a Commander rank, although I don't think that's what the team meant with their new name. The fans wanted the name Wolves or Redwolves, but the team say's they chose otherwise to avoid possible legal troubles.

US Navy Commander insignia
1643824216907.png

Last edited:
Okay, maybe I'm happy the Giants avoided Flores after all. I can't empathise with anything he is saying here other than the suggestion the Dolphins wanted salary bonuses for him based on his ability to tank games in late season to secure a better position in the draft. :O

I highly doubt we'll be seeing him in the NFL ever again. What a bone-headed move on his part.

Okay, maybe I'm happy the Giants avoided Flores after all. I can't empathise with anything he is saying here other than the suggestion the Dolphins wanted salary bonuses for him based on his ability to tank games in late season to secure a better position in the draft. :O

I highly doubt we'll be seeing him in the NFL ever again. What a bone-headed move on his part.
Really? What's bone headed. He has them by the nuts on the Giants thing. He can demonstrably prove using the Belichick texts that the Giants only interviewed him to satisfy the Rooney rule, when they'd already found their coach. It's humiliating, insulting and shows it was a token move. His lawyer is absolutely throwing stuff at the wall to see if it sticks in the cases of the other 29 teams, but it may pull others out of the woodwork.

He has more accounts of the same thing happening in other organisations including the Broncos whose owner and GM showed up hungover having apparently also agreed to hire a coach. Marvin Lewis has similar examples.

As for the paid tank topic, again if Flores (among other coaches who are now saying they had similar instructions) it's a huge deal, especially as the Fins owner invests in gambling companies. You're right he probably won't work in the NFL again because he will be blackballed heavily from the league.

Yeah Bruce your response seems really strange. The public opinion here seems to be with Flores which is weird cause he 1. Seems like a dick and 2. People tend not to support changes to the status quo.

I don't think the suit has much of a chance, but a got a B in employment discrimination and barely paid attention so what do I know. I think the whole thing about the giants leaking who they were gonna hire before they interviewed him is a terrible look.

Honestly I've not looked into this enough but that sounds like more of an issue with the Rooney rule than anything.
Roonie rule is well intentioned, but terribly flawed and encourages these token interviews, but actually hiring someone before ticking the box of a minority candidate who was never going to be considered a huge mess up by the Giants.

You can do token interviews without being an asshole. Just take the guy out for a nice dinner, don't show up drunk, and give the guy some feedback on the interview

I'm coming from the position that from what I'm reading Flores can only prove that Belichick believed he had reliable information about the appointment. I'm not seeing any proof that the Giants have done something wrong in terms of informing Belichick. Clearly there have been loose lips in the Giants camp, but proving that is another thing entirely. It's not unknown for a recruitment process to be ongoing and for word to get out that there is a preferred candidate and that they had strong showing (i.e. nudge & wink).

And how on earth is he going to prove the Broncos were drunk or that there was malice behind it?

So its boneheaded from my perspective because Flores has destroyed a promising career overnight pursuing something that is so subjective and scattergun (all 32 clubs, really?) that from the information available I can't see this having any traction in a court.

EDIT: Keep in mind the GM who made the HC appointment had just come from the Bills. This really increases the potential for neutral observers to assume that the GM is going to bring over 'his guy' from the Bills.

It seems Flores' lawsuit is against 3 clubs rather than all 32, so I'll correct myself. In terms of the Giants I'd merely flag up they had a GM from 2007 to 2017 who won a couple of Superbowls, and happened to be black. GM is arguably the most senior and important appointment an NFL owner can make, but we are to believe that 5 years later, the Giants have become a discriminatory organisation and that Flores wasn't considered for selection because of his race rather than because there was a clearly preferred candidate by the new GM.

Goodell is absolutely right to say the NFL isn't doing good enough, but that doesn't mean I have any sympathy with Flores, at all. The NFL owners club is a small one and if he has gained a reputation as not being a team player then he was always going to struggle to get a job despite his clear ability.

On the more important matter of the Superbowl I'm rooting for Cinci but think the Rams can negate the Bengals run game and take the edge off Chase. So with zero confidence, I'm going for Rams by 10.

I'm also wimping out. With flexi time working I'll get up at 6am and start work after I've finished the match.

It seems Flores' lawsuit is against 3 clubs rather than all 32, so I'll correct myself. In terms of the Giants I'd merely flag up they had a GM from 2007 to 2017 who won a couple of Superbowls, and happened to be black. GM is arguably the most senior and important appointment an NFL owner can make, but we are to believe that 5 years later, the Giants have become a discriminatory organisation and that Flores wasn't considered for selection because of his race rather than because there was a clearly preferred candidate by the new GM.

Goodell is absolutely right to say the NFL isn't doing good enough, but that doesn't mean I have any sympathy with Flores, at all. The NFL owners club is a small one and if he has gained a reputation as not being a team player then he was always going to struggle to get a job despite his clear ability.

On the more important matter of the Superbowl I'm rooting for Cinci but think the Rams can negate the Bengals run game and take the edge off Chase. So with zero confidence, I'm going for Rams by 10.

I'm also wimping out. With flexi time working I'll get up at 6am and start work after I've finished the match.
This is part I hate being missed. Flores got fired for being hard to work with. And that word spread. And ir wasn't what likes of Giants beeded. They needed team players

Latest posts