• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NHL player strike ends

C

Canadian_Rugger

Well longest lockout in NA pro sport history ended NHL is back on with a nice salary cap to boot
<

Originally posted by Ripper@Jul 16 2005, 11:41 PM
Oh great - a freaking Wally wannabe.
Could be funny, I wonder if anyone will bother with him. And Ripper, f*** the Rangers!

Good to see that they finally solved this labour dispute, but it was about time. At least it seems that they thought it through and the NHL might even make an intelligent decision for once. The next month is going to be awesome, with so few players under contract and with the new CBA the next month could almost be better than the season itself.

Go Canucks Go!

Mate I just think the sport is in danger of becoming irrelevant. When a guy leaves the penalty box to beat the **** out of an opposing player or physically abuse the referee you know something is up. It's always been rough but those kinds of consistent acts are embarrassing. There was a reason the 2004 - 05 season had no players, no fans, no action and no money. It tells you something.

I'm not saying I don't want the sport to be sorted out, because I do. But until then, for all I care it can stay binned.

Originally posted by M-Time@Jul 17 2005, 03:35 AM
Mate I just think the sport is in danger of becoming irrelevant. When a guy leaves the penalty box to beat the **** out of an opposing player or physically abuse the referee you know something is up. It's always been rough but those kinds of consistent acts are embarrassing. There was a reason the 2004 - 05 season had no players, no fans, no action and no money. It tells you something.

I'm not saying I don't want the sport to be sorted out, because I do. But until then, for all I care it can stay binned.
When did someone physically abuse the ref or leave the box (I'm assuming that you mean early) to beat the **** out of someone? I honestly don't remember that happening in the NHL for a very long time. What consistant acts? The reason the 04/05 season didn't happen was because the owners and players couldn't agree how to split up $2 billion.

I think what he means is that the NHL is no longer hockey but fighting with some hockey thrown in here and there. That might not be so true, but it is a little stupid how there are fights like every game.

hahaha he obviously doesn't watch much hockey. I don't know what hockey your watching but the NHL barely has fighting anymore. You rarely see a fight hell rugby isn't so clean either eye gouging, biting of ears hell thats way more pussy then dropping gloves man on man and duking it out.

Plus if you had any experience playing ice hockey you'd find it takes a lot more skill then most sports you'll ever play. I picked up rugby like nothing infact rugby is not that hard of a sport to master but hockey is way different. The game is faster and you have to react to things very quickly. Infact my 10 years of playing hockey prior to taking up rugby really helped my decision making as the ice is veyr cramped and their isn't a lot of room to move out there. Plus the players travel a lot faster on skates so you need to always have your head up and keep moving.

Ice Hockey isn't a joke its just that if you have no ice its kind of hard to enjoy it. I can see aussies or kiwis looking at this sport and being like WTF but goto Europe, Russia, North America and this is a major sport.

ice hockey would have to be one of my fav sports, been waiting for the lock out to be over for AGES, missed cing the hocky on sky over here.

one day i plan on going to canada, meeting up with my cuz and going to an ice hockey game.

if only there were more hocky games shown over here it would be great.

Gordie Dwyer left the penalty box to fight Washington players and abused the officials all the time. In 2002 Andre Roy left the box and touched up an official while trying to start a fight with players in the New York penalty box. Classy. Then there's Todd Bertuzzi.

Originally posted by M-Time@Jul 18 2005, 08:26 PM
Gordie Dwyer left the penalty box to fight Washington players and abused the officials all the time. In 2002 Andre Roy left the box and touched up an official while trying to start a fight with players in the New York penalty box. Classy. Then there's Todd Bertuzzi.
And thats why they all don't play hockey anymore :p

Dwyer is a f***ing nutjob and he is from a town 40 min away from were I live. All a bunch of crazy redneck inbred ******** up that way anyways. I think he is playing in some minor league in the middle of buttf***ing nowhere now.

Stanley Cup in my opinion is hardest trophy in sport to win because its techincally almost a second season. 16 teams busting there ass off in 4 best of 7 series to get to the cup. Some teams have had to play 28 games to win the cup thats a 109 games in a season. And rugby players complain about player burnout.

The thing that allows these players to do that is Ice Hockey actually has an established international season unlike rugby. Although the tests are what make rugby so great. But the pro leagues also have work stoppages for the Olympics and the World Cup. World Championships happen every year and thats pretty much the international test series right there but the best teams never play in that.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugger@Jul 18 2005, 06:16 PM
Stanley Cup in my opinion is hardest trophy in sport to win because its techincally almost a second season. 16 teams busting there ass off in 4 best of 7 series to get to the cup. Some teams have had to play 28 games to win the cup thats a 109 games in a season. And rugby players complain about player burnout.
Rugby players don't get regular line changes and two breaks per game though.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Jul 19 2005, 08:37 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Webby @ Jul 19 2005, 08:37 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Canadian_Rugger
@Jul 18 2005, 06:16 PM
Stanley Cup in my opinion is hardest trophy in sport to win because its techincally almost a second season.  16 teams busting there ass off in 4 best of 7 series to get to the cup.  Some teams have had to play 28 games to win the cup thats a 109 games in a season.  And rugby players complain about player burnout.
Rugby players don't get regular line changes and two breaks per game though. [/b]
yes this is true but an Ice Hockey shift is so intense. You go out for 1 to 2 minutes and give it your all then u recharge and do it again. The average player will still average 20 mintues with the top players averaging 30 minutes a game. I play both and from experience ice hockey is just as intense as far as burning yourself out goes. Skatinbg is tiring too more so then running.

In the NHL the players are at the top of their game too and they move so quickly its ridiculous. They workout just as much as any other athlete and are in very very good shape.

I think it kind of goes both ways, rugby has many more subtleties than hockey does I've noticed (or so it seems). What I mean by this is that hockey is obviously hard, because you're dealing with basically extensions of yourself (i.e. the stick and skates.) whereas if you look at rugby all it looks like is flat line defense, take the ball and run like heck. Now to the trained eye, there is much more to rugby in the independant strategies of each position, the constant evolution of game keeps the players on their toes, and legends like Jonah Lomu don't neccessarily coast through everyone anymore unless they learn how to play in the modern style, even though Lomu revolutionalized play on the wing. Likewise, in hockey there was the use of more equipment allowing the players to be more aggressive. However, even today some of Maurice Richard's records aren't easy to beat. I'm not familiar enough with rugby to know how many records Lomu set, but it does appear that the sport has moved beyond Jonah, and he would have to resort to new tricks to score millions of tries as he has in the past. All this to say, Canadian_Rugger, you're looking at rugby from a Canadian point of view, the fact that people don't play the sport very well compared to the tier one nations doesn't give an adequate view of how tough the game really is, I'm sure me or you would get fried alive if we were placed straight into a game for players our age in NZ, just as half-decent hockey players from some tier two hockey nation would get pulverised here in hockey after seeing it as not so rough. So I'm not sure which is tougher, but I definitely enjoy rugby more, because they don't have stupid parents who like to get into fights.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Jul 19 2005, 01:54 PM
I think it kind of goes both ways, rugby has many more subtleties than hockey does I've noticed (or so it seems). What I mean by this is that hockey is obviously hard, because you're dealing with basically extensions of yourself (i.e. the stick and skates.) whereas if you look at rugby all it looks like is flat line defense, take the ball and run like heck. Now to the trained eye, there is much more to rugby in the independant strategies of each position, the constant evolution of game keeps the players on their toes, and legends like Jonah Lomu don't neccessarily coast through everyone anymore unless they learn how to play in the modern style, even though Lomu revolutionalized play on the wing. Likewise, in hockey there was the use of more equipment allowing the players to be more aggressive. However, even today some of Maurice Richard's records aren't easy to beat. I'm not familiar enough with rugby to know how many records Lomu set, but it does appear that the sport has moved beyond Jonah, and he would have to resort to new tricks to score millions of tries as he has in the past. All this to say, Canadian_Rugger, you're looking at rugby from a Canadian point of view, the fact that people don't play the sport very well compared to the tier one nations doesn't give an adequate view of how tough the game really is, I'm sure me or you would get fried alive if we were placed straight into a game for players our age in NZ, just as half-decent hockey players from some tier two hockey nation would get pulverised here in hockey after seeing it as not so rough. So I'm not sure which is tougher, but I definitely enjoy rugby more, because they don't have stupid parents who like to get into fights.
yah I can see your point CRG

Originally posted by M-Time@Jul 18 2005, 01:26 AM
Judging hockey by Gordie Dwyer and Andre Roy is like judging all rugby players by people like Grewcock who bite. As Canadian Rugger said, Dwyer is a nutjob, and Roy isn't much better.

The Bertuzzi incident was different, and due to an absolute breakdown of the way the game works.

I suppose there's somewhat of a North American feeling to it too. I mean if you check out the NFL, CFL, NHL, one thing they have in common is that you feel the aggression coming out of the players, these are also sports about impact when it comes to contact. When I think of soccer or rugby, which are both more European, I think of crazy fans (just like us) and fairly civilised players. Just a thought, of course the way the Bok forwards play all the time could debate my point, but there are exceptions to every rule.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Jul 21 2005, 01:04 AM
I suppose there's somewhat of a North American feeling to it too. I mean if you check out the NFL, CFL, NHL, one thing they have in common is that you feel the aggression coming out of the players, these are also sports about impact when it comes to contact. When I think of soccer or rugby, which are both more European, I think of crazy fans (just like us) and fairly civilised players. Just a thought, of course the way the Bok forwards play all the time could debate my point, but there are exceptions to every rule.
good point CRG I think hockey is evolving from the goon mentality. Europe doesn't produce goons and Canada has been slowly changing its style of play from the dump, chase, and hit tactics that used to work so well into a refined game. Hockey is a very aggressive sport and the players are taught to play with tonnes of aggression but I believe hockey is moving away from the goon mentality which once dominated the sport.

well, should it actually become hockey again, I might consider learning the rules and watching it, but until that time, NHL has to gain my respect.

Latest posts