• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Nigel Owens to referee the RWC Final

Yes, the ABs are going to play with 16 players like always. ;)

Now now thats not nice.

In truth it's two fold.
Owens is the best referee in world rugby at this time so he deserves the appointment.
Secondly, Kiwi's everywhere will let forth a huge sigh of relief that we don't have Mr Pedantic, Wayne barnes refereeing the game into a stoppage spectacle.

I now want the AB's to lose the final if only to see the inevitable attacks on our Nige from certain of the posters on here who say he is the best in the world, he likes NZ!!!!!

I now want the AB's to lose the final if only to see the inevitable attacks on our Nige from certain of the posters on here who say he is the best in the world, he likes NZ!!!!!

I don't think he likes NZ, he likes to referee games with the style that we play.

He likes open flowing rugby that is not slowed down, we like open flowing rugby that is not slowed down.

He is the best ref at the moment, based on his approach, style, mannerisms and the fact he likes the to ref the way we play.

So for us it is a bonus, in saying that Aus are pretty similar lately in the way they play as well, so I think he will suit them as well.

Imagine 2 attacking rugby teams like NZ and Aus getting lobbed with a stick dick toffee like Barnes.

May sound weird, but i wouldn't mind seeing the Wallabies win the final, if they get that far.

So happy with this appointment. It should mean the final will be an ejoyable one for all to watch. For me the main thing is that Owens allows time for there to be a contest at the breakdown before deciding if a penalty is required. A lot of other refs appear intent on blowing upt the first thing they see. The later results in a pretty dire stop start affair while the former gives the game a chance to be free flowing.

As for who it advantages? Well it certinaly suits NZ, but as someone else said, OZ too. I think Argentina would struggle to keep pace witht the ABs for 80min in a free flowing game though.

All in all though I think it gives the final the best possible chance to be a great spectacle!

So happy with this appointment. It should mean the final will be an ejoyable one for all to watch. For me the main thing is that Owens allows time for there to be a contest at the breakdown before deciding if a penalty is required. A lot of other refs appear intent on blowing upt the first thing they see. The later results in a pretty dire stop start affair while the former gives the game a chance to be free flowing.

As for who it advantages? Well it certinaly suits NZ, but as someone else said, OZ too. I think Argentina would struggle to keep pace witht the ABs for 80min in a free flowing game though.

All in all though I think it gives the final the best possible chance to be a great spectacle!

Absolutely agree with your comment 100%

This can only be a good thing for us! And rugby in general really. He's a hell of a lot better than some other referees out there, who shall remain nameless. I can think of one especially!

The free flowing aspect and contest at the breakdown only works if players are not trying to slow down the ball and actually contest it otherwise it's waste of time allowing a contest.

I know the Irish complain about Barnes in the Welsh match but by being hot on rolling away he stopped either team getting away with murder. They eventually adapted and the game was better for it as at every breakdown the tackler did their best to actually move out the way.

I like Owens a lot just saying there reasons not allow too much at the breakdown. If your hot on something players should adapt to quite a few things some are a ltitle more difficult than others however.

The truth is out, Tony you old Fox, you always want the AB's to lose.

I hope Barnes isn't on the sideline. You just know he will have to come in and be the centre of attention at least once in the game.

AB will be sighing in relief that Garces has not got the gig since he actually applied the laws to the AB at the breakdown, hence the penalty count. Owens is the best ref in the world, however, and should get the job. He has the right manner, skills and gravitas for this. I guess the "he likes NZ" comes from the non try he awarded NZ at Twickers when the sliding player did not reach the line but he did not go upstairs? Only joking, he makes mistakes, he's human. All us refs are, although I don't claim to be anything like his class!

- - - Updated - - -

What you seem to be saying is that he should only apply the laws against 'real' cheating. Is there mild cheating that is ok? If you are standing in front of the back foot and not bound onto the ruck you are offside, if you don't come in through the gate that is coming in at the side, if you go over the ruck and onto your hands you are not supporting your own body weight and thus off feet, etc, etc. Should these things be ignored? It's this mentality that has allowed the scrum to be reduced (at international level) to a restart with lots of dark arts trying to force penalties rather than a genuine contest because the feed is never straight (sorry "credible"). Teams breaking the laws should be penalised, if they aren't then what's the point??? Did Joubert help the spectacle and fairness of the 2011 final by constantly ignoring coming in at the side by McCaw and then getting told off by the IRB? I agree that if the ball is clearly won and is either turned over immediately or clearly coming back then there is some room to ignore law breaking as it does not affect the outcome but if you decide that in the interests of a fast flowing game you'll turn a blind eye to sealing off, off feet, etc then you are not officiating the game properly. Should we ignore knock ons or forward passes if calling them would break up the flow of the game?

AB will be sighing in relief that Garces has not got the gig since he actually applied the laws to the AB at the breakdown, hence the penalty count. Owens is the best ref in the world, however, and should get the job. He has the right manner, skills and gravitas for this. I guess the "he likes NZ" comes from the non try he awarded NZ at Twickers when the sliding player did not reach the line but he did not go upstairs? Only joking, he makes mistakes, he's human. All us refs are, although I don't claim to be anything like his class!

- - - Updated - - -

What you seem to be saying is that he should only apply the laws against 'real' cheating. Is there mild cheating that is ok? If you are standing in front of the back foot and not bound onto the ruck you are offside, if you don't come in through the gate that is coming in at the side, if you go over the ruck and onto your hands you are not supporting your own body weight and thus off feet, etc, etc. Should these things be ignored? It's this mentality that has allowed the scrum to be reduced (at international level) to a restart with lots of dark arts trying to force penalties rather than a genuine contest because the feed is never straight (sorry "credible"). Teams breaking the laws should be penalised, if they aren't then what's the point??? Did Joubert help the spectacle and fairness of the 2011 final by constantly ignoring coming in at the side by McCaw and then getting told off by the IRB? I agree that if the ball is clearly won and is either turned over immediately or clearly coming back then there is some room to ignore law breaking as it does not affect the outcome but if you decide that in the interests of a fast flowing game you'll turn a blind eye to sealing off, off feet, etc then you are not officiating the game properly. Should we ignore knock ons or forward passes if calling them would break up the flow of the game?

+1

Also@Jonesboy, I am not really bothered who wins as have great friends in both NZ and Australia!

Just want top class game!

Guess you can take from that who I think will win today!!!

- - - Updated - - -

What an intelligent comment! Off the feet at the breakdown is so prevalent now, particularly with some teams, that I was beginning to think the law had been changed. If a team infringes constantly then the official may well suffer 'referee fatigue' not wanting to come in for the sort of abuse meted out by aggrieved supporters. Let's hope Nigel Owens is better than this.

Most overrated man in rugby who's been put on a pedestal above other referees thanks to his flair for self publicity.

The idea that someone ignoring/missing ruck offences leads to 'free flowing' rugby is load of complete and utter bôllocks as well by the way, and a good example of the loose understanding those praising Owens actually have of the game, as doing that would actually just kill quick ball, and neuter the attacking side.

I think psychic duck is partially right we big up Owens way too much whom has his off days just as much as anyone else. He made some howlers against England vs NZ last year and they only stick in mind because they were godawful calls(referring to the two knocks that clearly went backwards).

Still I don't think there's an candidate higher than him on the list. He just isn't light year ahead.

One thing he does excel at is player management though. I enjoy his quips as much as the next guy but by making the players seam childish/stupid they probably go back and rethink what they doing more than another ref.

Latest posts