• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Northampton Saints

mkersyshull

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
As I'm missing rugby I've been thinking about next season (whenever that will be)

From my understanding this is the current squad for next year
Any corrections?
And where do we need to recruit?
I think we need a big ball carrying 6/8 as a priority

1. Waller, Van Wyk, Davis, Trinder, Iyogun, Auterac
2.Haywood, Marshall, Fish, Ma'asi, van Vuuren, Matavesi
3.Hill, Painter, O Franks, Garside, Hughes
4/5. Lawes, Ribbans, Api, Moon, Coles, Bean
6. Gibson, Wood
7. Ludlum, Newman, Tonks
8. Harrison, Onojaife, Uru

9. A Mitchell, Taylor, Tupai
10. Bigger, Grayson, Freeman, Mathews
12. Francis, Symons, Strachan, Bird-Tulloch
13. Hutchinson, Dingwell, Proctor
11/14. Collins, Naiyaravoro, Sleightholme, Gillespie, Olowofela
15. Mallinder, Tulala, Furback, Freeman

A few changes in Forwards
From your guess .
Nephew is furloughed from club so in current circumstances anything could and will happen.
Luckily enough to get inside updates a few days before public.

As I'm missing rugby I've been thinking about next season (whenever that will be)

From my understanding this is the current squad for next year
Any corrections?
And where do we need to recruit?
I think we need a big ball carrying 6/8 as a priority

1. Waller, Van Wyk, Davis, Trinder, Iyogun, Auterac
2.Haywood, Marshall, Fish, Ma'asi, van Vuuren, Matavesi
3.Hill, Painter, O Franks, Garside, Hughes
4/5. Lawes, Ribbans, Api, Moon, Coles, Bean
6. Gibson, Wood
7. Ludlum, Newman, Tonks
8. Harrison, Onojaife, Uru

9. A Mitchell, Taylor, Tupai
10. Bigger, Grayson, Freeman, Mathews
12. Francis, Symons, Strachan, Bird-Tulloch
13. Hutchinson, Dingwell, Proctor
11/14. Collins, Naiyaravoro, Sleightholme, Gillespie, Olowofela
15. Mallinder, Tulala, Furback, Freeman
An all black as 3rd choice 13 speaks volumes about the talent you have there!

Our 6s look really weak. Wood and Gibson just arnt top ball barriers these days (or ever really). I'm happy with T at 8 though, I personally think he's one of the best 8s in the premiership.

Edit: or move T to 6 and being in a massive 8.

Our 6s look really weak. Wood and Gibson just arnt top ball barriers these days (or ever really). I'm happy with T at 8 though, I personally think he's one of the best 8s in the premiership.

Edit: or move T to 6 and being in a massive 8.
That's what I was thinking. I think we need some bulk in the back row (either 6 or 8)

TBH, I hadn't really noticed how little depth you have in the back row now. With Brussow retiring and Eadie leaving, you'd think there is room to replace them?

Carl Fearns is desperate for a move back to the UK - could do a LOT lot worse

He's not what I'd describe as a 'big ball carrying 8s', but Guy Thompson's a free agent now too. Another who'd be surely worth a look from a back-row depth POV.

He's not what I'd describe as a 'big ball carrying 8s', but Guy Thompson's a free agent now too. Another who'd be surely worth a look from a back-row depth POV.
I think you'd be surprised, he's bulked up a lot in France and changed his play style a bit because of injuries - he used to be a 6 who could moonlight at 7, now he's an 8 who can moonlight at 6. 20st or so, and loves contact as much as anyone.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat if we hadn't signed the du Preez twins

Yeah I know. I agree. I was talking about Thompson not Fearns.

I meant that I'd class Thompson as a mobile 7/8 who relies a bit more on pace and agility than being a 'heavy, ball carrying' type.

Both would be good signings for Saints IMO.

Thompson has obviously had injury concerns and isn't young, but I'd argue he's been Tigers' best back row player since he moved there.

So is it time to look past Boyd now?
His contract is up at the end of the season and we don't seem to have progress in the last 2 years. Could he be put on gardening leave and give Vesty a go for the rest of the season to see how he goes?

SH head coaches IMO always struggle in the league.
They play nice rugby to begin with maybe a season of success but get found out the seasons after

So is it time to look past Boyd now?
His contract is up at the end of the season and we don't seem to have progress in the last 2 years. Could he be put on gardening leave and give Vesty a go for the rest of the season to see how he goes?
That's a bit harsh IMO.

Naturally a big derby loss hurts, but overall, I think Boyd's done a good job and I think Saints are on the cusp of being a very good side.

I usually judge a coach on the style of rugby their team plays, the development of young players (and coaches) and canny signings. Boyd is ticking all of those boxes for me.

You have plenty of very good homegrown (or almost) talent and no major weaknesses in the squad.

Once Augustus settles, I think he'll turn out to be a very good signing and despite my doubts, Skosan is looking like a quality addition out wide.

One big loss to Tigers shouldn't detract from the bigger picture. Saints are still top 4 contenders IMO.

Last edited:
I think we 100% need to stick with him. I am usually a 'change them' type person but I do see a vision with Boyd and let's not forget we lost to an unbeaten team and we were second in the league.

Not panic stations yet, we aren't exactly Bath or Worcester.

Tom Wood has announced his retirement at end of season.
Great service to club and country.
Seems actually a great guy as answered some questions I had about wood varnish on his Instagram as he has a developing carpentry and lumber business with Alex Waller so guess this his route in retirement.

Tom Wood has announced his retirement at end of season.
Great service to club and country.
Seems actually a great guy as answered some questions I had about wood varnish on his Instagram as he has a developing carpentry and lumber business with Alex Waller so guess this his route in retirement.
Think it's the right time for him to retire. While he's still be useful, time is taken it's toll on his body.
Interested to see our back row develop over the next year or so with some more powerful players coming through.

Think it's the right time for him to retire. While he's still be useful, time is taken it's toll on his body.
Interested to see our back row develop over the next year or so with some more powerful players coming through.
Maybe we try to keep Hinckley on a one year deal to see what he can bring has looked Hungry so far in few bits I've seen.

Latest posts