• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2012/13

If the Blues have enough money to be offering him the highest wages in the UK, which as you guys say is a doubtful claim, then they should bloody well invest it in a decent TH and hooker!

In fairness to the Blues, the next 8 months could be the making or breaking of them as a team. They're losing Roberts and Cuthbert, but one would imagine that that's going to free up a lot of money on the balance sheet. The signing of Robin Copeland should indicate to them that there are players out there who can do a serious job at Rabo level at the very least. If they could get three handy players for the money they're paying Roberts then they'd be better off in my opinion. They've got to set their expectations pretty low in terms of trying to win competitions and look at building a decent base.

Good scouting this season is going to be paramount to the Blues' progress over the next three or four years.

Wales should adopt a no national team policy if playing abroad like NZ does for their players. Looks like Robert doesn't feel much tying to his home country.

Can't really respect Roberts decision on this front, he doesn't need a big payday for the rest of his life like some of these academy at 16 and 6 Ds at GCSE boys do, he's a qualified doctor and can expect to earn a very tidy wage into his 60s.

Would have been better for Wales if he went Ospreys or Scarlets...

Wales should adopt a no national team policy if playing abroad like NZ does for their players. Looks like Robert doesn't feel much tying to his home country.

Can't really respect Roberts decision on this front, he doesn't need a big payday for the rest of his life like some of these academy at 16 and 6 Ds at GCSE boys do, he's a qualified doctor and can expect to earn a very tidy wage into his 60s.

Would have been better for Wales if he went Ospreys or Scarlets...

None of the other regions could justify spending big money on him.

Whilst the Ospreys are short a real quality centre to partner Beck, they're after an outside centre, and Roberts is more of an inside centre. I'm sure he could easily convert, and the partnership of him and Beck would be awesome imo (looking forward to seeing it for Wales), but the O's would probably need to get rid of a few players in order to stay within the 3.5m salary cap in place. The Ospreys probably have the money after a reported 7 figure investment (so £10+mil), but the salary cap prevents them. We maybe shouldn't rule out an offer from them though.

The Scarlets would never be able to justify it. They've got Jon Davies and Scott Williams + the recently capped Adam Warren in their squad. They also have Gareth Owen and a raft of other young centres. They have more urgent areas in the forward pack to attend to.

I'm not sure people should disrespect Roberts decision if he does move abroad. He's stagnated somewhat at the Blues, because even when he does play (which granted hasn't been that often over the past season or more), he barely get's the ball on the front foot, or with a a little space. The Blues are a mess and I don't begrudge any player wanting to move from there at the moment.

Not sure going to Racing, another poorly run club is the correct decision, but I do think he'd develop as a player in France. I highly doubt that Roberts main driving force here is money. He's probably got the luxury of putting his rugby career in priority here. He'd be a huge signing for almost every club in Europe, so I'd hope he'd negotiate a deal that releases him for all Welsh duty.

Last edited:
None of the other regions could justify spending big money on him.

Whilst the Ospreys are short a real quality centre to partner Beck, they're after an outside centre, and Roberts is more of an inside centre. I'm sure he could easily convert, and the partnership of him and Beck would be awesome imo (looking forward to seeing it for Wales), but the O's would probably need to get rid of a few players in order to stay within the 3.5m salary cap in place. The Ospreys probably have the money after a reported 7 figure investment (so £10+mil), but the salary cap prevents them. We maybe shouldn't rule out an offer from them though.

£1 million+ surely ;)

£1 million+ surely ;)

Oh hang on, you're right. Bloody hell, that really isn't very much. What an idiot. 6 noughts, 7 figures!!!!! And to think I did A-Level maths!

Edit. Scrap what I said about the O's then, they can't afford him either.

If the Blues have enough money to be offering him the highest wages in the UK, which as you guys say is a doubtful claim, then they should bloody well invest it in a decent TH and hooker!

In fairness to the Blues, the next 8 months could be the making or breaking of them as a team. They're losing Roberts and Cuthbert, but one would imagine that that's going to free up a lot of money on the balance sheet. The signing of Robin Copeland should indicate to them that there are players out there who can do a serious job at Rabo level at the very least. If they could get three handy players for the money they're paying Roberts then they'd be better off in my opinion. They've got to set their expectations pretty low in terms of trying to win competitions and look at building a decent base.

Good scouting this season is going to be paramount to the Blues' progress over the next three or four years.

I agree totally with this.

If the Cardiff Blues can scout well, they could get possibly two or three players in important positions with the money that would have been spent on "the highest paid player in the UK".

However they need to scout well, as they clearly didn't when signing Ma'afu. I can't believe they didn't do the research of simply watching him play to learn that he can't scrummage.

Not sure going to Racing, another poorly run club is the correct decision, but I do think he'd develop as a player in France.

I don't know about Racing being a "poorly run club". They are not like Bayonne who sack their coaches and have their owner interfering with the team affairs constantly.

They are more a poorly coached club than a poorly run club. However they have signed arguably the most renowned coaching duo in France for next season, Laurent Labit and Laurent Travers have constantly got Castres to overachieve compared to the squad Castres have, and they will coach Racing from next season.

I don't know about Racing being a "poorly run club". They are not like Bayonne who sack their coaches and have their owner interfering with the team affairs constantly.

They are more a poorly coached club than a poorly run club. However they have signed arguably the most renowned coaching duo in France for next season, Laurent Labit and Laurent Travers have constantly got Castres to overachieve compared to the squad Castres have, and they will coach Racing from next season.

Ok. Always thought they've underperformed considering the quality signings they makes every season. Poorly run was probably waay too harsh, please don't take offence any Racing fans.

Cory Allen, Owen Williams, Thomas Pascoe, Rhys Patchell.
All can play centre, will cost less, and can play more than Roberts.

No loss.

Cory Allen, Owen Williams, Thomas Pascoe, Rhys Patchell.
All can play centre, will cost less, and can play more than Roberts.

No loss.

Yup, and none of them will be selected above Hewitt and that d**k Evans. Cory Allen in particular needs to come into the set-up right away. Owen Williams lost a little ground with injury, but is another that should be involved above Gavin Evans. I'd keep Patchell at 10, rotating with Tovey. I can't remember seeing Pascoe play, but the Blues need to start developing him if he's got some potential.

Gavin Evans even get's the not for the LV=Cup this weekend. What's the point in that? Probably because he's seen as a senior member of the squad, but plays like a crippled child! Hewitt on the bench too, if they can't use these games to develop the likes of Allen, then I don't know when they will. At least Owen Williams is playing I suppose.

OK mate, I am going to find Evan's agent and arrange for you to meet him. ;)
He doesn't drown kittens or anything, as far as I know.

OK mate, I am going to find Evan's agent and arrange for you to meet him. ;)
He doesn't drown kittens or anything, as far as I know.

I know I should be angry with the management, not poor old useless Gavin, but watching him play like s**t every game is just so infuriating.

Last edited:
Dafydd Hewitt is equally as bad as Gavin Evans to be fair.

I dunno. Not a fan of Hewitt's either, but at least he always get's involved and tries his best. Gavin Evans just goes missing until an opportunity for messing up a try comes along.

I dunno. Not a fan of Hewitt's either, but at least he always get's involved and tries his best. Gavin Evans just goes missing until an opportunity for messing up a try comes along.
Yeah, Hewitt at least tries, even though he isn't that great.
The positives could mean we see Ashley Beck preferred for Wales, but I think it is more of who Howley likes.

Yeah, Hewitt at least tries, even though he isn't that great.
The positives could mean we see Ashley Beck preferred for Wales, but I think it is more of who Howley likes.

Hewitt is crap. He's slow, can't pass, and a couple of weeks ago was completely blown away by Leinster's centres O'Driscoll firstly and then the lesser known Brendan Macken. I think it is a bit harsh to say Gavin Evans doesn't try, they are both equally poor players in my opinion.

Anyway, the Cardiff Blues should be more concerned about issues in the pack than in the centres. Players like S. Andrews are costing them more points than players like Evans.

I also don't know why the Blues don't try something new in the LV Cup. Nothing to lose by doing so.

Bath have signed 26 year old Munster tight head prop Alan Cotter on a short term loan deal. Must say, I'm impressed with how Penney is dealing with his reserve Props. He send Ryan to London Irish earlier in the year and now Cotter should get a decent chance at Bath with injury and internationals. In a position where Munster are weak and he needs to expose his players to more game time loaning guys out is an excellent solution.

Bath have signed 26 year old Munster tight head prop Alan Cotter on a short term loan deal. Must say, I'm impressed with how Penney is dealing with his reserve Props. He send Ryan to London Irish earlier in the year and now Cotter should get a decent chance at Bath with injury and internationals. In a position where Munster are weak and he needs to expose his players to more game time loaning guys out is an excellent solution.

then again exposing them to a system that actually seems to create decent props might be good in the long run!

Stade Français have signed 21 year oold South African lock Carl Wegner.
Does anyone know anything about him?

Connor Braid has been signed by Doncaster Knights.

Pacific Tyee >>>>>>>>Doncaster Knights.

Connor Braid has been signed by Doncaster Knights.

Pacific Tyee >>>>>>>>Doncaster Knights.

By the looks of where Doncaster are currently in the table, it looks like they are signing him to stave of relegation. They've only won one game this season, so they're not struggling quite as much as Phil Mackenzie's side was last season.

Connor Braid looked improved this November, when he came to Georgia in 2010 he was very young and looked a nervous and error prone and missed out on RWC 2011 I think. He may not be the world's greatest 10, but he looked competent, even in the Samoan thumping. I hope this move works well for him, most of the Canadians in that league seem to be regular starters for their teams and considered amongst their best players and are doing well.

Why did the BC Bears change their name to Pacific Tyee by the way?

Latest posts