• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2012/13

OK, I guess to can define rejects how you want. Daniel Evans was a Welsh international who is unlucky not to have more caps.
Tom Prydie will probably be in the Welsh squad for his career, and all were shocked when he was released. Liam Davies seems to be more injury cover (a joker, I like that).

Do you want me to go through the whole Blues side? You can't tell me that Reed, Andrews, Ma'afu, Evans, Hewitt, and many others are beyond WP level.

They get the tag of rejects because they sign unwanted out of favour players from other regions (this year Dan Evans, Prydie, Cudd, Liam Davies), surprised they didn't sign Gareth Owen. The Cardiff Blues are poor, when they played the Dragons is was a very low standard match. I was surprised that Dragons beat Edinburgh by that margin after some very ordinary performances prior to that, but after seeing Edinburgh's result against Saracens, something strange seems to have happened to that side.

The vast majority of the Dragons squad can be separated into 3 categories. The only exceptions are Lydiate, Faletau and Chavhanga. Most of the players who no longer fit in any of the categories leave such as Tovey, Gough, Owen etc. Lydiate and Faletau probably will too soon.

During the Paul Turner reign, there was also a fourth category you could fit their squad in - permanently crocked Kiwis.

Rejects from other regions:

182306.jpg
183168.jpg
203820.jpg
181289.jpg
220880.jpg
85911.jpg
182312.jpg
228902.jpg
228904.jpg

Principality Premiership/RFU Championship standard players (average club player at best):

100540.jpg
213322.jpg
194943.jpg
203822.jpg
206597.jpg
228905.jpg
216002.jpg
220881.jpg
228901.jpg
162541.jpg
212776.jpg
226584.jpg
221268.jpg
221260.jpg
209098.jpg
167369.jpg
224542.jpg
203819.jpg
213336.jpg
220913.jpg

Kids (probably will end up in the Principality Premiership standard category, if not then will probably leave):

221266.jpg
224950.jpg
223983.jpg
212777.jpg
213529.jpg
213335.jpg
223984.jpg
216342.jpg

Lulz, it amuses me to think of the amount of time you wasted copypasta-ing those pictures.

OK, I guess to can define rejects how you want. Daniel Evans was a Welsh international who is unlucky not to have more caps.
Tom Prydie will probably be in the Welsh squad for his career, and all were shocked when he was released. Liam Davies seems to be more injury cover (a joker, I like that).

Evans - Was like third choice (even Newton was being picked above) when he was let go, thus he was rejected by Nigel Davies and the Dragons signed him, where he has done quite well.
Prydie - Wasn't preferred to Walker or Isaacs, thus rejected by Tandy (wrongly).

Do you want me to go through the whole Blues side? You can't tell me that Reed, Andrews, Ma'afu, Evans, Hewitt, and many others are beyond WP level.

Go on through the Blues side, and you will find some poor players like the ones you named (who are probably on more money than Dragons pay their poor players).

But they also have class players like Warburton, Halfpenny etc. And some decent players like Paterson, Pretorius, Bradley Davies, Tovey who would walk into the Dragons side. With the exception of Lydiate and Faletau (who probably will leave in a year or two), only Adam Hughes maybe would make the Blues XV from the Dragons, even the Dragons front row couldn't get past the Blues awful front row, Price got dominated by a 19 year old kid, I will have to call it even between him and Ma'afu for awfulness. The Blues are better on paper than the Dragons, but play nearly as bad.

Evans - Was like third choice (even Newton was being picked above) when he was let go, thus he was rejected by Nigel Davies and the Dragons signed him, where he has done quite well.
Prydie - Wasn't preferred to Walker or Isaacs, thus rejected by Tandy (wrongly).

Go on through the Blues side, and you will find some poor players like the ones you named (who are probably on more money than Dragons pay their poor players).

But they also have class players like Warburton, Halfpenny etc. And some decent players like Paterson, Pretorius, Bradley Davies, Tovey who would walk into the Dragons side. With the exception of Lydiate and Faletau (who probably will leave in a year or two), only Adam Hughes maybe would make the Blues XV from the Dragons, even the Dragons front row couldn't get past the Blues awful front row, Price got dominated by a 19 year old kid, I will have to call it even between him and Ma'afu for awfulness. The Blues are better on paper than the Dragons, but play nearly as bad.

So, if we are talking efficiency, we are playing more to our potential. We win in the **** contest!
With regards to Evans, something wasn't right between him an Nige. Many on SF seemed to think this in ~2010.
Prydie was cast off because the Ospreys, like every other Welsh club, are run by inept people.

You can't say Halfpenny and Roberts are going to be at the Blues for much longer.

Wales cannot support four wholly competitive 23's, possibly not even three. Tight five is scarce all throughout the Pro12, look at the Irish and Scottish, drafting in South Africans. I hope we don't do the same, especially when there are decent players coming through (Rees, Lee, Evans, Suter).

So, if we are talking efficiency, we are playing more to our potential. We win in the **** contest!

Yes. Dragons have much less funds and a worse squad on paper than the Blues, but are at around the same level at the moment, perhaps the Blues are slightly better.

You can't say Halfpenny and Roberts are going to be at the Blues for much longer.

True. With inept signings, and struggling to keep their players, the Blues squad could look like the Dragons one in a couple of seasons. You can add Cuthbert (who just signed a one year contract) to the list of players who could potentially leave.

All the Welsh teams are in danger of losing players unless central contracts come in.

Wales cannot support four wholly competitive 23's, possibly not even three. Tight five is scarce all throughout the Pro12, look at the Irish and Scottish, drafting in South Africans. I hope we don't do the same, especially when there are decent players coming through (Rees, Lee, Evans, Suter).

I hope we don't end up like Scotland with just 2 teams.

Yes. Dragons have much less funds and a worse squad on paper than the Blues, but are at around the same level at the moment, perhaps the Blues are slightly better.
Agree. Blues should be better. Capital, population, everything in in their favour
True. With inept signings, and struggling to keep their players, the Blues squad could look like the Dragons one in a couple of seasons. You can add Cuthbert (who just signed a one year contract) to the list of players who could potentially leave.

All the Welsh teams are in danger of losing players unless central contracts come in.
Cuthbert seems to at least be dedicated to the Blues on the field. Robinson is a way off from Pro12 or HCup standard right now.
I have been on about Central Contracts for ages now, and finally others are saying the same thing (not referring to you).
The teams all wanted their 'own' players, but now cry to the WRU when French clubs come waving money.

I hope we don't end up like Scotland with just 2 teams.

This must not happen. Don't forget that Scotland's best players are from abroad. I am disappointed to see the signings of the Blues and Ospreys. There surely must be some player in the catchment region better. I don't want to end up like Ireland or Scotland, with our best props being foreigners (with some exceptions). We have players like Jenkins, James, Gill all playing abroad, who are undoubtedly better than countless other props.

Prydie was coming back from serious injury Duck, something that has not been mentioned. He was loaned to get game time. Prydie going was not the smartest of moves.

Wayne Evans as someone else said left the Blues because he was getting a lack of gametime. This is true. Amos and Steffan Jones will be good players but need better standard of players around them to help them aid their development.

Some of those 'rejects' have added to the Dragons squad. Adam Jones, Tom Prydie, Dan Evans and Wayne Evans have in me eyes improved on the squad.

What also is not great is that good front row players now cost a lot of money to keep, which to be fair none of the regions can really do.

Fact remains the regions cannot offer the wages of other teams, sadly this is a fault of the regions and the WRU themselves.

Last edited:
Agree. Blues should be better. Capital, population, everything in in their favour

Cuthbert seems to at least be dedicated to the Blues on the field. Robinson is a way off from Pro12 or HCup standard right now.
I have been on about Central Contracts for ages now, and finally others are saying the same thing (not referring to you).
The teams all wanted their 'own' players, but now cry to the WRU when French clubs come waving money.

This must not happen. Don't forget that Scotland's best players are from abroad. I am disappointed to see the signings of the Blues and Ospreys. There surely must be some player in the catchment region better. I don't want to end up like Ireland or Scotland, with our best props being foreigners (with some exceptions). We have players like Jenkins, James, Gill all playing abroad, who are undoubtedly better than countless other props.

You could do worse mate. Where's your 6 Heineken Cups?

Every time a Celt brings nationality into club rugby, terrorists kill a kitten.

You ********.

Damn, shoulda checked here first. Thought I was first to spot this.

I'm not a fan of the grannie rule (although it's not as bad as the residency rule in my opinion) but leaving that aside, it's a superb signing for Scotland and Scottish rugby in general. Maitland should waltz into their starting XV and make up an exciting back three with Hogg and Visser.

Another thing this signing signifies is a massive shift in support for the districts by the SRU. The likes of Josh Strauss, Sean Maitland, WP Nel and Ben Atiga are well above the quality (or pricetag) of imports they've previously been able to recruit.

Not a signing or a rumour. But Fijian number 8 Sisa Koyamaibole has been sacked by Bordeaux-Bègles for not turning up to his clubs internal disciplinary hearing for biting in a match.

The Scarlets and the Cardiff Blues should take note as they both could really do with a genuine number 8 who is a ball carrying beast. He's not in the Fiji squad either so his availability won't be effected by November internationals, just need to wait until his ban runs out.

Jamie Roberts has confirmed he is leaving the Blues at the end of the season. Racing Metro is the apparent destination.

According to Richard Holland, the Blues chief executive, the Blues offered him "an extremely attractive" offer that would have made him the "highest paid player in the Blues squad, and arguably in the UK". I wonder how true this is? Not doubting he would have been the highest paid player in the Blues squad, but highest in the UK, that's an interesting claim. Should the Blues even be offering one player money like that when they have struggled to bring in anywhere near the quality needed in other positions where they lack any quality at all?

I imagine that the deciding factor for Roberts was the fact that the Blues region is now a joke. Things need to change, or all the Blues big-name players will be moving on when their contracts expires!

Hewitt and Gavin Evans to be Blues first choice centres next season?
:lol::mellow::(

Will be interesting to see if Lydiate or any more Welsh players follow him there. Good signing for Racing, dont think they have replaced Steyn very well yet.

According to Richard Holland, the Blues chief executive, the Blues offered him "an extremely attractive" offer that would have made him the "highest paid player in the Blues squad, and arguably in the UK". I wonder how true this is? Not doubting he would have been the highest paid player in the Blues squad, but highest in the UK, that's an interesting claim. Should the Blues even be offering one player money like that when they have struggled to bring in anywhere near the quality needed in other positions where they lack any quality at all?

I imagine that the deciding factor for Roberts was the fact that the Blues region is now a joke. Things need to change, or all the Blues big-name players will be moving on when their contracts expires!

Hewitt and Gavin Evans to be Blues first choice centres next season?
:lol::mellow::(

You're spot on with your assessment there Dullonien.

I personally doubt Holland's claim as "arguably the highest paid player in the UK". And anyway, I would guess that was still less than Racing could offer anyway.

You are also spot on about the areas of where the Blues have most problems. They need to sort out some problems in their pack, it's all well having players like Warburton, Roberts, Halfpenny and Cuthbert in your team but if you are among the most dismal in Europe in some pretty crucial areas of the game, they won't be able to turn your team into a top European side.

And anyway, Roberts hasn't been that good for the Blues this season anyway. He was even missing a few tackles in that Leinster match. I think this could be a blessing in disguise for the Blues, as they can now use those finances that would have been spent on Roberts on getting a good front five. Whilst it is probably better for Roberts as he doesn't have to play for a joke side.

Cuthbert is also out of contract at the end of the season by the way ...

Latest posts