• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2012/13

Good signing for Wasps, Emerick has been a useful player for a while, just needs to stay on the right side of the edge that he frequently plays on.

Franck Montanella and Arthur Joly (Bourgoin) ---> London Welsh

Not Northern Hemisphere but still a transfer rumour.

The Highlanders are interested in signing Ben Franks.

Signing random unknown South African forwards does not turn them into a genuine threat in all competitions.

Yes but any tight 5 signing (bar hooker) is good for em as thats where they are lacking.. if we get a decent platform to work from then the backs can be unleashed.

Average journeyman.

He'll add depth to the squad, but nothing else. Same with all the locks they've signed tbh.

SA know how to produce good quality locks, so I'd be very surprised if he wasn't at least half decent. I'm not sure if you can call a 26y/o a journeyman either, that tag is generally reserved for 30 something y/o's who have come over for a payday.

Earle looked like a great signing against Leinster, and I'd be surprised if this Snyman doesn't add something as well. At the very least he'll add some depth to a position they were looking a little weak in.

It's very difficult for Welsh regions to draw big name international players with the salary cap they're operating under. I think the signings the Scarlets have made are very positive. They've gone out and bolstered the area that's been letting them over the past few seasons, and I genuinely think they'll be better because of it.

With Earle, Snyman, and Ball all either WQ or WQ in three years, Vallejos might find himself surplus to requirements.

Signing random unknown South African forwards does not turn them into a genuine threat in all competitions.

The pack has been letting the Scarlets down over recent seasons. They've lacked grunt in their front five. I feel the signings they have made will go some way to addressing that. The locks they have signed are big lads, who will add grunt in the scrum, ball carrying options in the loose and genuine lineout presence. They've also signed an apparently very competent scrummaging tightead who will hopefully sure up the scrum against the stronger scrummaging sides they'll face in the HC. Add that to the two extremely promising new props coming though, and the fact that all their efforts developing the young players in their region is really baring fruit (North, Scott & Liam Williams, McCusker, Shingler, Murphy, Rhodri Jones, Ken Owens, Fenby, Priestland, Knoyle, Gareth Davies, Rhodri Williams, etc.), and I think we should be expecting the Scarlets to compete with the best in Europe.

Last edited:
The pack has been letting the Scarlets down over recent seasons. They've lacked grunt in their front five. I feel the signings they have made will go some way to addressing that. The locks they have signed are big lads, who will add grunt in the scrum, ball carrying options in the loose and genuine lineout presence. They've also signed an apparently very competent scrummaging tightead who will hopefully sure up the scrum against the stronger scrummaging sides they'll face in the HC. Add that to the two extremely promising new props coming though, and the fact that all their efforts developing the young players in their region is really baring fruit (North, Scott & Liam Williams, McCusker, Shingler, Murphy, Rhodri Jones, Ken Owens, Fenby, Priestland, Knoyle, Gareth Davies, Rhodri Williams, etc.), and I think we should be expecting the Scarlets to compete with the best in Europe.

Snyman has made 7 starts in the Currie Cup for the Lions in the past three seasons, has never played a minute of Super Rugby (even though he was in the squad of the worst side), and was discarded by the Sharks after playing just 50 minutes in the Currie Cup team in two seasons. Even as a Vodacom Cup player he didn't feature that much, just making 9 starts in 6 season with the Sharks and the Lions.

I don't see how you can assume he will add all that and "bolster" the pack just based on size and nationality. Especially when the Scarlets have signed South African locks who were fully international capped before like Hottie Louw, who's time in Llanelli is generally seen to have not worked out.

I'll wait and see whether Adriaanse is an improvement on Manu.

Considering the group the Scarlets have been drawn in this season, I can't see them getting out of their group, never mind challenging at the latter end of the competition. Do you really think the Scarlets can get out that group they have got?

What the Scarlets need is size and grunt in the front five though. Someone who will do the donkey work and bolster the scrum. By all accounts Snyman (and the others) will add that. Not all signings have to be internationally experienced, I think that has been proven in the past, with some international players not really applying themselves, whilst some of the lesser known players coming over here, or to Ireland, England or France really make a name for themselves.

With Leinster and Clermont in their group, it will be difficult to make it through, but they'll have every opportunity with a solid platform. I think they'll get that against Leinster, but might struggle a little against Clermont. Their backs will cause damage with enough ball, we all know that. I do think they've got a genuine chance of making it through, but it'll be very close I think.

Edit. A lot will depend on the away form of the Scarlets this season. They've struggled away against the better opposition over recent seasons. We'll have to see, but I'm looking forward to see how they get along against the likes of Leinster and Clermont.

Last edited:
Nic Cudd has signed for the Dragons from Llanelli RFC.
If he can stay injury free, it could be a good signing. I have been pleased with Daniel Evans and Tom Prydie so far, I hope for another like those two!

Owen Evans (Llandovery RFC) ---> Dragons

Also

Ofa Fainga'anuku ---> Glasgow Warriors

[h=1]Racing: Barkley signed[/h]Published on 20/09/2012 at 15:37, updated on 20/09/2012 at 15:57
[h=2]As announced Midi Olympique on Monday, flyhalf Bath, Olly Barkley (30 years, 23 selections) is committed with Racing-Metro on Thursday as medical joker. It can thus overcome the wounds of Jonathan Wisniewskiand Benjamin Dambielle .[/h]Bath Club confirmed the information on its website, saying he should play two games with Bath before joining Racing.

Can't believe that!
They must be really trusting Heathcote and Donald to stay fit, and considering their track records last (and now this) season.......

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts