• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Wales vs. Australia (11/11/2017)

James Davies is injured sadly but I agree on Thomas Young, how he wasn't selected I'd never know. All the 7's injured for this game are: Sam Warbuton, Justin Tirpuic, Ellis Jenkins, James Davies and Ollie Griffiths.

I know, but it's not like James Davies was being picked even when he was fit, whereas Navidi seems to have featured in more squads (albeit not actually playing).

At the time he picked this squad, I can only assume Gatland was banking on one of Warburton or Tipuric being fit and Cross was just going along as a guy they were interested in taking a look at, but didn't necessarily expect to play.

Yeah, it's a big ask for Owen Williams. I think in attack he has enough but I'm worried about whether he is going to be good enough defensively at test level. Looks like Aus are going supersize in the centres with Kurandrani and Krevi.
Yes Kurandrani has stated they are going to attack the 10 - 12 channel, imo if your using Biggar and Williams I'd switch them inside centre is going to have to tackle and Williams just isn't much of a tackler where as Biggar is decent, however I'd rather see Patchell at 12 if we are playing a 1st and 2nd 5/8th with Sam Davies at 10 when he hits form again.

Yeah, it's a big ask for Owen Williams. I think in attack he has enough but I'm worried about whether he is going to be good enough defensively at test level. Looks like Aus are going supersize in the centres with Kurandrani and Krevi.
Yes Kurandrani has stated they are going to attack the 10 - 12 channel, imo if your using Biggar and Williams I'd switch them inside centre is going to have to tackle and Williams just isn't much of a tackler where as Biggar is decent, however I'd rather see Patchell at 12 if we are playing a 1st and 2nd 5/8th with Sam Davies at 10 when he hits form again.

As an englishman who watches the AP on a regular basis, i have never thought O Williams is anywhere near international level, hes a good player no doubt but i just cant see the step up working and coming up against england i would be happy that hes there.

It seems to me gatland has paniced post lions that he needs to change his style and picked one of the first names he sees rather tham saying its what he wants and waiting for someone to put their hand up. Maybe i will be wrong but not sure about this one.

Whats does everyone think? Owen williams at 12 for ways, will it work YES or NO?
No

I know, but it's not like James Davies was being picked even when he was fit, whereas Navidi seems to have featured in more squads (albeit not actually playing).

At the time he picked this squad, I can only assume Gatland was banking on one of Warburton or Tipuric being fit and Cross was just going along as a guy they were interested in taking a look at, but didn't necessarily expect to play.
Cardiff bias is what it is, they shouldn't have a bloody region in Cardiff it should have been on merit therefore a valley franchise based in Ponty, better supported and a damn site more passion.

Cardiff bias is what it is, they shouldn't have a bloody region in Cardiff it should have been on merit therefore a valley franchise based in Ponty, better supported and a damn site more passion.

I'm starting to see what others see regards your posts.

I'm looking for a bookie that is willing to take a bet on a Wales win after 75mins, and ignore the obligatory last minute Australia try.

Always concerning when Gatlands comment about the aus backline is - "yeah you can't help but wonder if we needed someone bigger in the back line to stop them" haha.

How bad looking is pitch tonight what's happened to it.

How bad looking is pitch tonight what's happened to it.

I forget what I was told about lighting rigs the last time this came up, but it looks like one of the two problems with the previous pitch is manifesting itself again - the inability to grow grass. Obviously Desso is one whole surface and holds together well, which fixes the palate based system's problem with cutting up, but as Desso is something like 97% grass, you still need to be able to grow the stuff, something which is a struggle given the amount of shade in the stadium. I remember commenting that a solution was needed to this problem too when the new surface was being fitted. I don't remember there being a problem last season and have a feeling that someone here said that lighting rigs were being used to stimulate growth. Maybe they broke, or maybe different weather conditions have caused the problem.

When Australia decide to move the ball, they can just do it so much more quickly and efficiently than any of the home nations. We knew they were going to shift it, Wales knew it, but starting with Genia the speed and accuracy was just spot on.

Why does Cheika always look surprised, as though he's just learnt the rules also apply to his team?

How long was 1/2p allowed for that kick. I guess his forwards might want a breather, but that was something else....well over a minute from when it occurred to me how long he was taking.

Impressed again by Australia. Koroibete man of the match for me. Excellent in defence and attack and showing a lot of intelligence in his running. What a find for them and a gargantuan upgrade on Speight.

Great to see Steff Evans do well, and no surprise. Amos try dubious but he is a favourite of mine too (again, a heady player). Navidi did better than expected and Biggar was extremely capable and quite dynamic. Surprised me a bit.

I forget what I was told about lighting rigs the last time this came up, but it looks like one of the two problems with the previous pitch is manifesting itself again - the inability to grow grass. Obviously Desso is one whole surface and holds together well, which fixes the palate based system's problem with cutting up, but as Desso is something like 97% grass, you still need to be able to grow the stuff, something which is a struggle given the amount of shade in the stadium. I remember commenting that a solution was needed to this problem too when the new surface was being fitted. I don't remember there being a problem last season and have a feeling that someone here said that lighting rigs were being used to stimulate growth. Maybe they broke, or maybe different weather conditions have caused the problem.

Latest posts