• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Wales vs. Australia (11/11/2017)

Thanks for info seen poor surfaces but this takes the biscuit.
Poor show from stadium authorities.

Pretty impressed with that Wallabies performance - great tactics and execution from the side for most of the game. Genia had a serious blinder and just seemed to be in everything. Also very impressed with our defence - Wales had some great chances and the Wallabies just kept keeping them out. Even that try at the end for Wales was at best a very generous interpretation by the referee as it was only scored by the slimmest of margins thanks to some great commitment from our guys.

Yup, good performance by the Wobblies, I really liked how the Welsh tried to play and I think it should start to come together if they keep that up. I think the video ref gave the try at the end as a consolation try for effort - and fair enough too! We could see the clear seperation on our vision so I am sure he could too.

As RoosRah says Genia was fantastic, TPN was huge again, and the backline seemed to largely cover the lack of Folau although i suspect that weakness will be more exposed by England.

Glenn Jackson had a good game refereeing, very consistent and clear communication to the players.

Set piece was pretty good for Australia, attacking mauls were strong, defended the Welsh mauls very well, line outs steady and scrum wasnt too bad.

The defensive structure invited the Welsh forays down the try line, this madness will cost the Wobblies games sooner or later, England will open them up if they stubbonly persist with it. Wingers need to stay on their wings and the rest of the defensive line fill their natural positions.

Agree with the above praise of the Wallabies and the ref. You could tell Cheika considered that to be a high quality performance. Israel who? :p

Somewhat encouraged from the way Wales played. They were a little rusty, and some basic errors let them down such as simple knock ons and their exits from restarts. However I thought they looked far more dangerous than they have for a long time with ball in hand, getting the ball out into space regularly. The one exception was when Hooper was in the bin and they reverted to type with some poorly executed drives from the forwards.

I thought Rob Evans had a great game on the whole, one mistake aside where he jammed in defense to allow Aus' second try. His handling in the loose was exceptional for a prop. He's quickly developing into a real star. AWJ was also impressive, but for that moment of madness on the Aus' line.

conversely Francis was mediocre as ever. He's a passable scrummager (not great by a long shot), but offers nothing else. About time we give the likes of Brown and Lewis (if he can stay fit) a proper go, and select Lee to start.

The backs were a little mixed as well. Gareth Davies combined moments of magic with a few wrong decisions. Steff Evans beat the first man every time, but got stripped for Beal's try. Owen Williams went ok at centre too, distributing the ball nicely, but he certainly didn't rip up any trees.

considering how weak out bench looked before the game, none of them let anyone down, with many having positive impacts. Hill, Amos and Watkin in particular showed up really well.

worrying end to the game with Davies picking up a nasty looking knee injury. Wonder if they'll try Watkin at 13, or maybe bring in Scott Williams for some experience?

I'd hope they go for Watkin over Scott Williams at centre purely for the sake of giving the youngster a chance to prove himself. Scott's had his chance and hasn't been anywhere near his best this season. What other options are there for 13?

Sorry to be a naysayer but I really didn't see enough in that Wales performance to think that sufficient progress is being made. There were some strong individual performances - I thought Rob Evans had a great game and Steph Evans had a strong introduction to the game at this level = but the speed of progress is still absolutely glacial; and yet people still talk about 'encouraging signs' for Wales? Really? I don't know how Gatland has escaped bigger criticism when 13 consecutive losses is totally unacceptable.

The same problems are still there, Wales are trying to play expansively but are still limited but Biggar and that's never going to change, though a ball-playing 12 is a good sign for sure.

I know Wales weren't at full strength, but Navidi feels like a dead end to me - not a player anywhere near the calibre of Tipuric, Warburton, or in my opinion Thomas Young (I know, he's ineligible, but still) Overall, Wales can't afford to routinely let their coaches off the hook for the appalling pace of change in Welsh rugby.

Just finished watching the match, and have to say I thought it was a bloody good test match. If not for a couple dropped passes, and Beale's steal they would have been right up there with a good chance to win. If I was Welsh I wouldn't feel too upset about it, looked like a step in the right direction. In the second half especially I thought the Welsh Front Row handled the ball very well actually!

Sorry to be a naysayer but I really didn't see enough in that Wales performance to think that sufficient progress is being made. There were some strong individual performances - I thought Rob Evans had a great game and Steph Evans had a strong introduction to the game at this level = but the speed of progress is still absolutely glacial; and yet people still talk about 'encouraging signs' for Wales? Really? I don't know how Gatland has escaped bigger criticism when 13 consecutive losses is totally unacceptable.

The same problems are still there, Wales are trying to play expansively but are still limited but Biggar and that's never going to change, though a ball-playing 12 is a good sign for sure.

I know Wales weren't at full strength, but Navidi feels like a dead end to me - not a player anywhere near the calibre of Tipuric, Warburton, or in my opinion Thomas Young (I know, he's ineligible, but still) Overall, Wales can't afford to routinely let their coaches off the hook for the appalling pace of change in Welsh rugby.

Gatland's copped plenty of criticism, especially over the last couple of seasons where he refused to make any changes to personnel, made worse by Howley having to take over for a year and having no guts to make any real changes. However, those changes have now come, and for a first hit-out with an obviously different game-plan, there was plenty to be encouraged about. They looked consistently threatening when spreading the ball, and but for some uncharacteristic mistakes from senior figures (e.g. Faletau knocking on out wide), they would have got outside the Aus defence on a few more occasions. Silly mistakes, like knock ons and messed up exits are easy fixes, I'd expect us to be batter in that regard for the rest of the AI's.

There's more Gats could do, such as selecting a more attacking 10 in Patchell/Priestland; and sticking with his Lions selection of Liam Williams at fullback.

I kinda agree with you re Navidi. I like him as a player, hard working, always gives his all, and rarely has a poor game; but I don't think he's quite good enough, and a fair step down from Warbs/Tips/Davies. Young is eligible btw. Gat's for some reason thought Cross/Navidi were better options.

I'd hope they go for Watkin over Scott Williams at centre purely for the sake of giving the youngster a chance to prove himself. Scott's had his chance and hasn't been anywhere near his best this season. What other options are there for 13?

With Tyler Morgan injured, there's no other obvious candidates! We're really limited for options behind Davies. Tripple 10 it up with Patchell at 13?!

I'd like to see the following selection v Georgia:

01 Rob Evans
02 Eliot Dee
03 Samson Lee (if fit)
04 Seb Davies
05 Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Aaron Shingler
07 Justin Tipuric (if fit)
08 Taulupe Faletau

09 Gareth Davies
10 Rhys Priestland/Rhys Patchell
11 Steff Evans
12 Owen Williams
13 Owen Watkin
14 Hallam Amos
15 Liam Williams

Sorry, but I thought the ref was ***** at scrum time and penalized wales out of good positions. Seo is a **** scrummager. Frankly amazed he still makes the Oz 15. Started crawling in one scrum, and ref gives it against Wales for going on an angle?????? A rubbish defence for a crap scrummager is that angling in nonsense, If your opposing prop is folding under you, you naturally angle with him. Same in the last 10 minutes. Ozzie scrum kept flopping. Nothing from the ref! Sio spent half his day eating grass cuds. Crap!

Also, I thought Beale lost the ball in contact on his breakaway, and so did he, in my opinion? Why else was he hurrying to take a drop kick conversion? Did no one think that odd? Fancy they looked at one or two replay angles and said fair enough. One angle clearly shows a loss of possession IMHO. Lost it in contact on the ground.

If I was Welsh, then I'd be miffed.

The game was close enough, as a result to have a moan about all of it.

Everyone (including the two welsh commentators today) seems happy enough Australia are the dogs ******** these days, so they can go into the England game as 50 point favourites for all I care.

Perhaps not a knock on by Beale, on this evidence, but sure looked high from Oz 13 on Evans.

Yes your right in order of 7's in wales if you count Warbs as a 7 (I prefer him at 6) Navidi is well behind Tips, Warbs, James Davies and Young, also if Cross improves a tad then that puts Navidi in 6th place, just a decent club player not an International by a long chalk and won't be anywhere near a Wales W C squad, so he was picked in front of Cross or Young I can't fathom

Gatland's copped plenty of criticism, especially over the last couple of seasons where he refused to make any changes to personnel, made worse by Howley having to take over for a year and having no guts to make any real changes. However, those changes have now come, and for a first hit-out with an obviously different game-plan, there was plenty to be encouraged about. They looked consistently threatening when spreading the ball, and but for some uncharacteristic mistakes from senior figures (e.g. Faletau knocking on out wide), they would have got outside the Aus defence on a few more occasions. Silly mistakes, like knock ons and messed up exits are easy fixes, I'd expect us to be batter in that regard for the rest of the AI's.

There's more Gats could do, such as selecting a more attacking 10 in Patchell/Priestland; and sticking with his Lions selection of Liam Williams at fullback.

I kinda agree with you re Navidi. I like him as a player, hard working, always gives his all, and rarely has a poor game; but I don't think he's quite good enough, and a fair step down from Warbs/Tips/Davies. Young is eligible btw. Gat's for some reason thought Cross/Navidi were better options.

With Tyler Morgan injured, there's no other obvious candidates! We're really limited for options behind Davies. Tripple 10 it up with Patchell at 13?!

I'd like to see the following selection v Georgia:

01 Rob Evans
02 Eliot Dee
03 Samson Lee (if fit)
04 Seb Davies
05 Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Aaron Shingler
07 Justin Tipuric (if fit)
08 Taulupe Faletau

09 Gareth Davies
10 Rhys Priestland/Rhys Patchell
11 Steff Evans
12 Owen Williams
13 Owen Watkin
14 Hallam Amos
15 Liam Williams

Not Priestland or Patchell please. Biggar is the only option until Sam D runs into form, also Scott Williams has to come in if Fox is injured

Last edited:
Sorry, but I thought the ref was ***** at scrum time and penalized wales out of good positions. Seo is a **** scrummager. Frankly amazed he still makes the Oz 15. Started crawling in one scrum, and ref gives it against Wales for going on an angle?????? A rubbish defence for a crap scrummager is that angling in nonsense, If your opposing prop is folding under you, you naturally angle with him. Same in the last 10 minutes. Ozzie scrum kept flopping. Nothing from the ref! Sio spent half his day eating grass cuds. Crap!

Also, I thought Beale lost the ball in contact on his breakaway, and so did he, in my opinion? Why else was he hurrying to take a drop kick conversion? Did no one think that odd? Fancy they looked at one or two replay angles and said fair enough. One angle clearly shows a loss of possession IMHO. Lost it in contact on the ground.

The game was close enough, as a result to have a moan about all of it.

Everyone (including the two welsh commentators today) seems happy enough Australia are the dogs ******** these days, so they can go into the England game as 50 point favourites for all I care.

I remember when we went to Australia they were trying to talk **** about our scrum and cheating in it. It worked for the first scrum where the ref penalised us for Aussies collapsing but after that he kept pinging Aus. The idea that Seo was getting the better of Cole was laughable. I even heard accusations of Cole angling in...

Every Aussie game I have ever seen you post on you claim to be better able to rule on scrum infringments than the professional refs at the ground. Maybe its time for a little self reflection mate?!

Interestingly I watched the game with a Welsh mate, he had no negative comments about the refereeing.

I do agree with your comment about Beale's rush to convert, he had to be worried about something, I cant see a knock on, so maybe it was something else? It was pointless anyway as the Ref had not yet awarded the try.

Every Aussie game I have ever seen you post on you claim to be better able to rule on scrum infringments than the professional refs at the ground. Maybe its time for a little self reflection mate?!

Interestingly I watched the game with a Welsh mate, he had no negative comments about the refereeing.

I do agree with your comment about Beale's rush to convert, he had to be worried about something, I cant see a knock on, so maybe it was something else? It was pointless anyway as the Ref had not yet awarded the try.
nothing personal, and believe me, I actually have a grin on my face when the ozzies beat the abs. I call it the way I see it. Thought Wales harshly done by at scrum time. SEO is average at best as a scrummager. Plenty of pro refs make mistakes in matches mate, so no need to defend myself on that account.

I looked at the Beale try again. Can someone explain how he goes to ground with ball in left hand, and gets up with it in his right, without the assistance of the ground. Pretty convincing evidence he'd lost possession in the end.

That's all. I am really not that bothered. If I was welsh, I might be. If I was Oz, I wouldn't care. Read it in the papers. 21-9 final.

I thought Jonathan Davies was superb, he really was a handful for Aussie every time he got on the ball.

Is Tipuric injured?

Latest posts