• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NRL 2015 - General Discussion Thread

TRF_melon

Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Thor
New Picture.png

Ladies and gentlemen, the 2015 NRL season is upon us.

The year kicks off on Thursday 5th March with a blockbuster between the Broncos and Rabbitohs at Suncorp Stadium with Brisbane firming as early favourites.

Discuss anything and everything about the 2015 NRL season here.

Last edited:
Latest news...

Greg Inglis has made it clear he's more than open to a switch to Rugby Union. Although still contracted to the Rabbitohs until 2017, we all know that a contract is worth no more than the ink upon the paper with all the clauses that are now involved with each agreement. Personally, I'd love to see him play rugby and at the age of 28, the time to make the move is now if he's to make a huge impact.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...tive-code-switch/story-e6frf3uu-1227223511665
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...ys-queensland-reds-chief-20150218-13i81x.html

Trent Merrin has confirmed he will departing the Dragons at the end of the 2015 season. It is understood that the initial offer tabled for Merrin by the Dragons shortly before Christmas was too light and although the most lucrative offer for forward in the club's history, it isn't enough to retain his services.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...firms-he-will-leave-club-20150217-13hd5v.html

Heard the warriors have been chasing Merrin hard, and if I know the warriors well enough they would have offered him a ridiculous contract he's not worth. Dragons are in desperate need for front rowers and the loss of Merrin is pretty huge (even though he's not as good as he's cracked up to be) hopefully for them packer gets a good roll on after being out for a while.

Interesting... from what I've read it seems Penrith are front runners but the Broncos are coming up from behind, and quickly too - keep in mind that Merrin has previously played under Wayne Bennett. Bennett would have been in his ear during the All Stars camp and also there's the issue of proximity to the beach for his girlfriend and pro-surfer, Sally Fitzgibbons.

The Broncos are light on front rowers as a result of a number of departures following what was seen as solid recruitment. Parker won't last forever either. At only 25 years old and being of such a high calibre who can play a number of positions, I wouldn't be surprised if any contract he inks isn't one of the richest we've seen.

Unless the Woyas can offer significantly more $$$, I can't see him going to the darkside.

Interesting... from what I've read it seems Penrith are front runners but the Broncos are coming up from behind, and quickly too - keep in mind that Merrin has previously played under Wayne Bennett. Bennett would have been in his ear during the All Stars camp and also there's the issue of proximity to the beach for his girlfriend and pro-surfer, Sally Fitzgibbons.

The Broncos are light on front rowers as a result of a number of departures following what was seen as solid recruitment. Parker won't last forever either. At only 25 years old and being of such a high calibre who can play a number of positions, I wouldn't be surprised if any contract he inks isn't one of the richest we've seen.

Unless the Woyas can offer significantly more $$$, I can't see him going to the darkside.

Gus Goulds done wonders for the club but a bit surprised panthers are the favourites even though they got one of the best coaches in the comp. Broncos looked half decent against Wigan today, their defence was impressive but not the greatest attacking performance, but still it was only the first hit out for the year,I think Milford isn't the right option at 5/8. I can't go past the roosters and the usuals Melbourne an Manly, just can't wait for the season already hope it hurrys up.

Dear Mr. Bennett,

I can smell the scent of burning cash from my arm chair - and I'm 998.9km away.

It may only be the start of the season, but I feel some conclusions can already be drawn...

The Broncos will continue to be the Broncos of the past 8 seasons - all the talent in the world but they lack the execution and seemingly the belief to quite simply get **** done. Admittedly last year there were many close finishes but when the finals came they failed to impress once again. Long term prospects or the view to a grand final aren't help with the view that Justin Hodges & Corey Parker are at the back end of their careers. I genuinely think they'll continue to be middle-of-the-fielders for years to come.

Souths are a whole other story. Bloody brilliant. Can they go back to back? Definitely.

Last edited:
What's going in with Manly? Parra wrecking them at the moment. Chrissy Sandow on fire.

Season kicked off yesterday with a soo solid win by the Eels, This weekend the Warriors and Doggies still to come.
Will also follow the Canterbury Bankstown boys this year.

Season kicked off yesterday with a soo solid win by the Eels, This weekend the Warriors and Doggies still to come.
Will also follow the Canterbury Bankstown boys this year.

What team do you support?
Same with you TRF melon.

Warriors start the season in usual fashion!

Last edited:
Warriors, as they are the only NZ team. and you never know what to expect from them.
I also follow the Eels (used to be a Moimoi fan) and this year the doggies as well.

@ENZED-88, the Broncos...

That's a shame:D
Are you from brissy?

So players of round one so far guys?
Chris Sandow for me!
With parras 2nd rower is it Moeroa? He looks the goods F running at him his timing when tackling reminds me of a young SBW or Nigel Plum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah mate, not from Brissy but certainly don't mind that part of the world.

Started going for the Broncos when I was a lil' tucker, about the time they won the 2000 Grand Final - must have been something about the larger than life characters, the dominance etc.

------------------------

Players of the round? Chris Sandow was outstanding, however you can almost bet he'll have as many shockers as he goes blinders. Unfortunately I didn't get to see as many games as I would have liked but Boyd Cordner was pretty bloody solid all over the park. His support running is on par with the best I've seen.

Souths, Roosters and Storm looking the goods 3 rounds in. Warriors not bad either (WOHOOO) cowboys, Manly and Cronulla the big dissapointments so far. Penrith to show their class over the next few rounds.

3 rounds in who do you guys have for Dally M winner? Inglis or Dylan Walker for me.

Latest posts