• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Oddities

C

captainamerica

Thought I'd start a thread where peeps can post random events that make the news. This story inspired me. Sure I feel sympathy, but ultimately: WTF???

From a Florida news station WFTV:
http://www.wftv.com/news/3643877/detail.html

480-Pound Woman Dies After Being Surgically Removed From Couch
STUART, Fla. -- A 480-pound Martin County woman has died after emergency workers tried to remove her from the couch where she had remained for about six years.

Gayle Laverne Grinds, 40, died Wednesday, after a failed six-hour effort to dislodge her from the couch in her home. Workers say the home was filthy, and Grinds was too large to get up from the couch to even use the bathroom.

Everyone going inside the home had to wear protective gear. The stench was so powerful they had to blast in fresh air.

A preliminary autopsy on the the four-foot, ten-inch woman lists the cause of death as "morbid obesity." But officials want to know more about the circumstances inside the home.

Investigators say Grinds lived with a man named Herman Thomas, who says he tried to take care of her the best he could. He has told them he tried repeatedly to get her up, but simply couldn't. No charges have been filed, but officials are looking into negligence issues.

Emergency workers had to remove some sliding glass doors and lift the couch, with Grinds still on it, to a trailer behind a pickup truck. Removing her from the couch would be too painful, since her body was grafted to the fabric. After years of staying put, her skin had literally become one with the sofa and had to be surgically removed.

She died at Martin Memorial Hospital South, still attached to the couch.

Neighbors say they had no idea Grinds lived at the duplex, though they had seen Thomas and some children outside.

<
Oh my gosh! Sad story but hard to say if we should feel sympathetic or not. I don't really want to swear but it does cause you to think that 3 word phrase that starts with "What............"

C.A, what do you mean it inspires you? I am trying not to imagine
<

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Aug 13 2004, 10:36 AM
C.A, what do you mean it inspires you? I am trying not to imagine
<
Oh, I didn't mean it inspired me like that! ****, should have made it more clear.

No, it inspired me to post it cause I thought we could all contribute to some oddity or another.

Just a small inspiration, I haven't gotten to grips with fusion energy or anything. Yet. Though the amount of energy that body from above stored . . . maybe it lies in obesity?

Yes possibly. She may have made a good energy subject for the machine empire in the matrix.

Fusion energy? Well there was a type of fusion happening on the couch. Poor lady, it looked like she gave up and waited to die
<

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And with her you'da needed 6 pairs of eyes to see all that beauty.

Baby got (had) back!

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Right time to get this going again... Its been a while so here is the latest oddity

Sleeping Australian run over by train and lives

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080111/tod...-b7e5c6f_1.html [/b]
Just goes to show how tough South Aussies are....or just that we're drunken louts :D

[/b][/quote]

All fixed up............that town Port Augusta is in my neck of the woods kind of. (just 3-400 km up the road..).

[/b][/quote]
Haha you sneaky *******. Changing it to South Australia...are you delusional?

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Right time to get this going again... Its been a while so here is the latest oddity

Sleeping Australian run over by train and lives

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080111/tod...-b7e5c6f_1.html [/b]
Just goes to show how tough South Aussies are....or just that we're drunken louts :D

[/b][/quote]

All fixed up............that town Port Augusta is in my neck of the woods kind of. (just 3-400 km up the road..).

[/b][/quote]
Haha you sneaky *******. Changing it to South Australia...are you delusional?
[/b][/quote]

No no im not and its applicable because the incident happened here.

Oh I see now.

Regardless, us New South Welshman are the real deal unlike the scourge of the earth (or rather Australia) that are South Australians.

Oh I see now.

Regardless, us New South Welshman are the real deal unlike the scourge of the earth (or rather Australia) that are South Australians. [/b]

**** off NSW are a bunch of blinged out convicts..............unlike Victorians it has pretentions of being anything else but filthy convicts. :bleh!:

As we say "for all our faults at least we are not a convict colony" :D

Am I the only person who would have just cut up the upholstery of the sofa, so she would be able to be removed with just the fabric of the sofa attached to her, instead of the entire sofa?

That might be sorta tricky to cut... especially the bits right underneath her. I cant imagine it would be very pleasant either as she hasnt been able to move to go to the bathroom

That might be sorta tricky to cut... especially the bits right underneath her. I cant imagine it would be very pleasant either as she hasnt been able to move to go to the bathroom

[/b]

You just cut neatly around her, taking part of the stuffing of the couch with you. Like that you can transport her in sitting position, not on the couch, but with a smaller part of the couch attached. You can just put her in a semiwarm tub of water then. That should have helped to take away some of the stiffness of sitting like that all that time, and some of the dirt stuck on that woman.

Morbidly obese people make me laugh.
I have no sympathy for them...

Eat yourself to death, idiots.

On that note, if you like watching stupidly fat people suffer there is a new film coming out soon all about the obesity epedemic that's hitting america. "Killer At Large" it's called.

Should be amusing. Then fingers crossed the british can make one so we can point and laugh at all the stupidly fat people in this country.

Sorry, i'm spitefully harsh to someone who would do this to themselves...

Latest posts