• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Odds of winning the RWC for the top five nations

TRN

Academy Player
Only one day to go! Obviously New Zealand are heavy favorites to retain the trophy with the bookies tagging England as second best followed by South Africa, Australia, and Ireland. Interesting to see England get such favorable prices after the unexpected result vs. France last month, granted they impressed vs. Ireland a few weeks later. There are some "enhanced" odds if you click here and follow the link in the writeup. The only catch is that you have to sign up for a new account and the offer is only available until Friday when the rugby starts. Enjoy the World Cup!

[table="width: 500, align: left"]
[tr]
[td]Team[/td]
[td]Bet365[/td]
[td]PaddyPower[/td]
[td]William Hill[/td]
[td]TRN Enhanced Odds[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]New Zealand[/td]
[td]6/5[/td]
[td]5/4[/td]
[td]6/5[/td]
[td]7/1[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]England[/td]
[td]4/1[/td]
[td]4/1[/td]
[td]9/1[/td]
[td]20/1[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Ireland[/td]
[td]9/1[/td]
[td]9/1[/td]
[td]9/1[/td]
[td]40/1[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Australia[/td]
[td]15/2[/td]
[td]8/1[/td]
[td]7/1[/td]
[td]33/1[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]South Africa[/td]
[td]6/1[/td]
[td]6/1[/td]
[td]13/2[/td]
[td]25/1[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

France were 22/1 up until a few weeks ago.
Grotesque odds considering the quality of player, 2nd place last time and the easy draw they have.
16/1 now with coral, but still worth a punt at that price.

Absolutely. France always show up to the World Cup despite their performance in the run up. 16/1 certainly makes me scratch my head.

If i were a betting man i'd put money on SA, Aus and France with those odds.

France were 22/1 up until a few weeks ago.
Grotesque odds considering the quality of player, 2nd place last time and the easy draw they have.
16/1 now with coral, but still worth a punt at that price.
Only easy if you beat Ireland though huh! If not you are looking at the ABs, SA, and Eng (assuming the favs win) in that order to win the cup - which is about as tough as it gets.

- - - Updated - - -

If i were a betting man i'd put money on SA, Aus and France with those odds.
I'd be on OZ too. If they can manage to win pool A I reckon they have a ticket to the final. That side of the draw looks like a whole lot easier: Likely to have Ireland, Argentina, Scotland, and OZ (if they win pool A) on one side and on the other NZ, SA, Eng, and France

Let's put it this way. You don't want to be Runner Up in the group of death..

Not only do you play World Cup winning potential teams straight away, but then you'll most likely see SA, then one of NZ/France/Ireland if you even manage to get past the Boks.

They've really messed up the way the pools are filled... Taking the Top8 teams like 2 years ago and making them. So stupid.

Last edited:
I don't usually bet but I've put $20 on the Wallabies to win the tournament at 8-1 and $20 on Japan to beat Scotland at 5.5-1

Scotland are still heavy favourites over Japan and after the win against SA I think they could get up over Scotland.

I don't usually bet but I've put $20 on the Wallabies to win the tournament at 8-1 and $20 on Japan to beat Scotland at 5.5-1

Scotland are still heavy favourites over Japan and after the win against SA I think they could get up over Scotland.

Yeah odds as high as $7.5 available at some bookies on Japan to upset Scotland. Not a bad price I reckon. But I'd say taking the points start which is around 14 / 15 points might be the way to go.

I've had my max bet limited to such a small amount by my bookies so hardly worth betting anymore. Thank goodness cause the way things have tracked so far I;m pretty sure I would be in the negative.

Historically though in RWCs its best to avoid the first round and then start pounding the favourites as the teams with weaker squads get exposed more and more as the tournament goes on.

I think if you given the points (i.e taken the favourite on the handicap) you would have only won 2/8 (France and Eng) maybe 3/8 (I can't remember how many points Ireland were giving away to Canada). I bet you the favs come in more from now on.

Last edited:
I think the top 5 is really close and hard to call. NZ, Ireland, England, Aussie and South Africa. I'm definitely not writing the Safas of just yet.

I think the top 5 is really close and hard to call. NZ, Ireland, England, Aussie and South Africa. I'm definitely not writing the Safas of just yet.

agree'd you know after we lost to Ireland 4 years ago, everyone reminded us that no one has ever won the world cup finishing second in their pool. I know SA could still finish first, but they're a massive threat regardless of whether they finish first or second.

don't discount France either

Big call! I would love to see us win Bill again but I do think the AB's will be the team to beat. I am sure they will turn up for the most important games and will get through to the final.

It's very unlikely, but a final with Ireland and Australia would be brilliant. Cheika vs Schmidt - probably the two smartest coaches in world rugby at the moment.

This is probably the most competitive RWC I've ever seen. England, Ireland, Namibia, New Zealand, France, Ireland, Australia, South Africa (maybe? Next game will tell) all have legitimate chance to win.

This is probably the most competitive RWC I've ever seen. England, Ireland, Namibia, New Zealand, France, Ireland, Australia, South Africa (maybe? Next game will tell) all have legitimate chance to win.

did you put Namibia in as a joke to see who noticed first? :p

I agree, you wouldn't want to rule any of those out, particularly Namibia (unbeaten so far this WC). But every word cup we say that a bunch of teams can win it, the reality is though, many in that list have not shown that on the big stage they can win 3 knock-outs in a row. I personally think NZ, OZ, and Eng are the three teams that are seriously contending. Perhaps Ireland as well, but I think they will need someone to knock-out the ABs for them to have a legit shot.

I think France will knock NZ out in the quarters...

I can't see it happening. The ABs hurt for a long time after that last QF loss to France and ever since the draw came out and a chance for a rematch looked on I reckon they've been looking forward to revenge. We've seen what the ABs can do when they want revenge (Eden park vs OZ for example). I reckon we'll see something similar if the match up eventuates.

Latest posts