• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

O'Driscoll or Keane

Who is more famous in Ireland?

• Brian O'Driscoll

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think it has something to do with the way the Dutch and Brazilian sides of the past have played the game.

shhhh! Who said you could crash our little soccer bashing posts with such puerile and irrelevant things like 'facts'?

His face is everywhere, he does a number of adverts, it's nothing to do with knackers worshiping Keane, there's plenty of knackers jumping on the rugby bandwagon. It's not wishful thinking that BOD is more famous, it's a fact. Everyone knows who Brian O'Driscoll is, while Keane's profile is on the wane, plus BOD thrives being in the limelight whereas Keane pulls back from it.
[/b]

BOD appears for a matter of seconds on 02 ads and on a billboard beside Donnybrook. Any time Keane does something it appears in the news from tabloids to the paper of record. The only time BOD gets mentioned in the tabloids is when they want to kick up a fuss about his "all night partying" or when they talk about Glenda Gilson.

right then we must be living in different countries then cause you don't see Roy Keane's face on billboards, doing adverts, magazine shoots, appearances on chatshows, f*** sake he was even on the BBC Sports personality of the year awards.

I haven't seen Keane on any billboards, ads or magazines, and I live just outside of and travel through London (quite possibly the most likely place in all of Europe that you're going to see a sport star's mug).

I know this is totally irrelevant, but to be perfectly honest I'd never actually heard of Roy Keane until reading this thread :p ... I had to do a wiki on him! But yeah, I'm an Aussie I guess and much of the public think that soccer players are... well, wimps.

This seems to be a very difficult question, without some third party testimonies from non-spot fans it is fairly hard to say.

Personally i reckon BOD could be more well known for the simple fact (aussie train of thought here) that he is the face of Irish rugby... much in the same way that Lomu was identifyable with the general public for the All blacks.

Seriously, anyone who thinks BOD is more famous then Keane is a communist.

Keane was one of the biggest names in football (Manchester United and Ireland captain), which nomatter which way you look at it is still much bigger then any rugby star will ever be.

BOD may be on more advertising boards right now than Keano, but in 15 years time people will still think of Roy Kean when they talk about footballs hardmen and all time greats. BOD will just be remembered as another good centre (albeit a very good one) alongside the likes of Guscott and Greenwood.

I won't mention the multiple occasions you'be been whittering on to me about football on MSN DC... Oh wait, too late...

Aye, if you think breaking peoples legs in cowardly two foot tackles or intimidating and harranging referees makes one "hard" then you are sorely mistaken :p

Seriously, anyone who thinks BOD is more famous then Keane is a communist.

Keane was one of the biggest names in football (Manchester United and Ireland captain), which nomatter which way you look at it is still much bigger then any rugby star will ever be.

BOD may be on more advertising boards right now than Keano, but in 15 years time people will still think of Roy Kean when they talk about footballs hardmen and all time greats. BOD will just be remembered as another good centre (albeit a very good one) alongside the likes of Guscott and Greenwood.
[/b]

But it's not a question of which one is more famous... it's a question of which one is more famous IN IRELAND. Surely there's a big difference considering games like Gaelic football are still bigger in Ireland than fairyball, and surely it makes a difference that BOD is the only high status professional sportsman in the country who represents an ALL IRELAND team (and also happens to be considered as possibly the best centre in the world).

P.S I'm pretty sure 'footballs hardmen' is an oxymoron... :p

Agreed. BOD is probabbly one of the very best centres of his generation. Even chaps like Will Greenwood agree with that. Also, if it came to the crunch, a GAA or a RUI star would be more famous in Ireland than some two bit thug who seems to prefer living in England more than his 'native' Ireland.

Love to see you call Vinnie Jones a wimp, but that's a different subject for a different day.

Sanzar; As someone who has been there many, many, MANY times, I will assure you that football is the biggest sport in Ireland. Just because their league is pathetic doesn't mean they don't lap it up over there; Most people instead will support Premiership sides (a large chunk appears to be Man Utd or Liverpool) or one of the Glasgow teams in the SPL, regardless if they're from the North or the Republic.

BOD is well known throughout the world. So is Stirling Mortlock. However, only rugby fans know who they are, the resy may have heard of them. On the other hand, Roy Keane is known throughout the world, much like David Beckham. EVERYBODY knows who they are and what they do.

To say a top rugby player will ever be more famous then a top footballer who still never gets out of the media is on another planet. A moronic comment thinking BOD is better know to John Q. Notasportsfan then Keano.

again though this isn't about the rest of the world it's about Ireland, and the question is also about the here and now. To say that a nonsportsfan in this country isn't going to know who Brian O'Driscoll is really shows they don't know what they're talking about. Plus it wouldn't be a question of being better known, both would be as well known as each other but BOD's profile is bigger in Ireland at the moment than Roy Keane's.

In that case, Johnny Wilkinson is better known throughout the media in England then Alan Shearer... Oh wait, that was 4 years ago. The balence has since been restored and now the rugby player isn't getting the press anymore he's been forgotten. The same will happen to BOD once he retires or gets injured.

Saying that, Irish rugby fans seem to be so far up their own arseholes at the moment they will beleive whet ever they want to think. Such as saying O'Gara is a better 1st 5/8 then Dan Carter or Stephen Larkham! :lol: :lol:

Find me an Irishman who said that, you don't half come out with some crap at times.

Latest posts