• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

O'Driscoll or Keane

Who is more famous in Ireland?

• Brian O'Driscoll

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Fame isn't about one second, it's about a lifetime of glory. Keane is a hero here. As I said anything he does draws everyone attention- he says management is difficult- it appears in every newspaper. No-one gives a toss about BOD.

Put it this way. If both of them died tomorrow and you were running the TV news and had to decide whose obituary went out first after considering their relative achievements you'd have to put Keane on first.

What a load of crap. Total, grade A, cow dung from a prize bull.

Who has single handedly dragged Ireland to two triple crowns? Who has made Ireland the force it is today and who will be leading the charge in France in 2007, in South Africa in 2009 and in New Zealand.

All Keane has done is written an autobiography, had an argument with someone over broken glass on a Japanese soccer pitch (which was a mountain out of a molehill if you ask me), broken someone's legs and chased referees around a football pitch. What did he ever do for his country other than whinge about said Japanese soccer pitch and carp on about how nice his house in England was? bugger all thats what!

One has retired, the other is still going, is still making a name for himself, is in the process of making himself a legend.

Roy Keane will be a here today, gone tomorrow dive-ball player. Barely worthy of being in a best of the world squad.

BOD on the otherhand is an electric and amazing player, has the respect of players across the home nations, if not down under too and will, *mark my words* will win us our first Lions Tour since the 1990s.

Fame isn't about one second, it's about a lifetime of glory. Keane is a hero here. As I said anything he does draws everyone attention- he says management is difficult- it appears in every newspaper. No-one gives a toss about BOD.

Put it this way. If both of them died tomorrow and you were running the TV news and had to decide whose obituary went out first after considering their relative achievements you'd have to put Keane on first.
[/b]

You're getting confused between fame and legacy. No doubt that Keano will have a bigger legacy than BOD when their careers are done and dusted, but fame has nothing to do with legacy, it's about who's in the limelight.

[/b]

But who does he captain? Northern Ireland right? I've only been to Ireland twice, but both times I went to the south and one thing I noticed was that a lot of people still felt a great deal of antipathy toward the north...

Originally posted by Teh Mite

Sanzar; As someone who has been there many, many, MANY times, I will assure you that football is the biggest sport in Ireland. Just because their league is pathetic doesn't mean they don't lap it up over there; Most people instead will support Premiership sides (a large chunk appears to be Man Utd or Liverpool) or one of the Glasgow teams in the SPL, regardless if they're from the North or the Republic.

As I've just said, I only went there twice, but I also work at a hospital with a lot of Irish and none of them seem to have any interest in soccer whatsoever... and it certainly wasn't apparent their when I did go. Most kiwis I know support an NRL side (usually not the warriors cause they suck), but that doesn't mean for one moment that Ruban Wiki would ever be as famous over there as Dan Carter.

I don't know though... I'm gonna start asking the Irish guys at work what they think.

Why not compare what Keane and BOD have done for their countries respectively

Leave all the Man U bullshit out of it, what have they done for their country will give you the answer to the question.

In that case, BOD has won f*** all either then; A triple crown isn't worth **** unless you have a tournament victory to go with it.

Anyway, you can't leave Man Utd out of this arguement as being their captain is what Keano is most famous for.

Of course you can, and you know why we choose internationals to judge stars records on? Because we know that Keane has done bugger all when he was Captain of Ireland.

And you could say the same about the Bledisloe Cup being worth naff all if Australia/New Zealand didn't win the Tri Nations to go with it.

I think an Aussie or a Kiwi would still be quite smug if they won the Bledisloe Cup but lost the Tri Nations. And that is how Ireland felt when they won the triple crown, especially considering that they beat arguably two of the best performing Northern Hemisphere sides of 2005/6 (not to mention the world champions).

Of course you can, and you know why we choose internationals to judge stars records on? Because we know that Keane has done bugger all when he was Captain of Ireland.

And you could say the same about the Bledisloe Cup being worth naff all if Australia/New Zealand didn't win the Tri Nations to go with it.

I think an Aussie or a Kiwi would still be quite smug if they won the Bledisloe Cup but lost the Tri Nations. And that is how Ireland felt when they won the triple crown, especially considering that they beat arguably two of the best performing Northern Hemisphere sides of 2005/6 (not to mention the world champions).
[/b]

Actually yeah, if you ask most Aussies and Kiwis, both would rather win the Bledisloe cup than the Tri Nations... it's just such a big deal.

OK Prestwick I'm not having any of this at all, Keane single handedly dragged us through the qualification for the world cup in 2002, playing the first leg of the Iran playoff with a dodgy knee and producing arguably one of the finest ever performances by an Irish player, he was outstanding for Ireland in the world cup in USA in 1994 and that was despite dealing with a manager who was clearly retarded.

Triple crown only really meant something in 2004 because we hadn't won it for 19 years, it would have meant fück all last year had there not been an actual trophy given what had transpired earlier that afternoon, but it was BOD who single handedly drove us to the triple crown in 2004, in fact that year was probably his worst in an Ireland jersey, it was D'Arcy who was our best player that year. It was a bit of a **** take that he was voted the best player of the tournament this year but there's no question that there would have been an element of if Ireland are doing well it must be down to BOD, so let's vote for him, the guy's a media whore at the end of the day, despite his protestations on the Rugby Club to the contrary.

Legacy wise Keane wins hands down for me, but BOD now has the bigger profile, now it would be a different story if he were Ireland manager.

In that case, BOD has won f*** all either then; A triple crown isn't worth **** unless you have a tournament victory to go with it.

Anyway, you can't leave Man Utd out of this arguement as being their captain is what Keano is most famous for.
[/b]

Famous to who Man U fans?

Seems its mostly Man U fans are the only one who could give a rats ass about keano, he's done **** all for his country lately hasn't he?

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

You're getting confused between fame and legacy. No doubt that Keano will have a bigger legacy than BOD when their careers are done and dusted, but fame has nothing to do with legacy, it's about who's in the limelight.
[/b][/quote]

It's clearly still Keane. Anything he does attracts attention. If BOD and Keane walked down some random Irish street many more people would recognise Keane. The fact that he shies away from the limelight almost attracts more attention to him.

Leave all the Man U bullshit out of it, what have they done for their country will give you the answer to the question.
[/b]
This may shock you, but unlike in the USA, most people in the UK put their club before their country, particularly Man Utd fans.

Errr...PeeJay, America is a country where people put their University team ahead of their own club, let alone their state and heavens knows before their own country.

How much Hollywood bullshit have you swallowed?

And when you put it that way, there are a hell of alot of other club fans who think Keane is a ********, and last time I checked, they outnumber Man U fans.

So thats another branch supporting your argument cut down :p

But being a dick head has nothing to do with what is at question here either, but we do seem to have got away from the original question here. Martin Johnson and Neil Back were prized dick heads but that doesn't take away from their ability, nor does it for Keane.

I still don't think he had any ability.

Then again, I don't think any dive-ball player has any ability :p

The majority isn't always correct :p
[/b]

The majority are always right Prestwick. It was proven years ago in that Marlboro ad which showed everyone how safe smoking was by stating 'a billion smokers can't be wrong' :D :p .

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
This may shock you, but unlike in the USA, most people in the UK put their club before their country, particularly Man Utd fans.
[/b][/quote]

Just out of curiosity, do you think THAT is probably the reason their national team seems to always underachieve in every tournament they enter?

Latest posts