• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Offensive Team Names

Exeter have been encouraged by pressure groups to align themselves with Iron Age chiefs, specifically the Dumnonii tribe who lived in Devon and Cornwall up to the early Saxon period, but may want to consult experts first to understand its history.

It is understood they want to avoid rushing into a re-branding, a process that will cost them at least a five-figure sum, only to run into similar perceptions of 'appropriation' in the future which might spark another row.
Common sense solution if applied properly. Glad to also read they canvassed ~700 members with overwhelming opinion to rebrand.

It sounds like the board didn't trust the members to vote the right way (I don't blame them, given the ostings on the FB group and Sportsnetwork site), so took it out of their hands "with due consideration" whilst also taking it away from Tony Rowe potentially boycotting it, and handing it over to "professional consultants"

Whatever the case, it looks like the right decision has been made - though I'll need more than a Daily Mail article before fully believing it

this is probably in the Chief thread too but figure it would be good to wrap it up in here

I like it, looks great

272751095_6943721189034478_6673518036498168561_n.png

Just re-read parts of this thread. H, SC and I agreeing on something. Jesus bloody christ.

TBF it was starting to affect the chiefs money
Oh, I think we all felt the same at the time as well; but Wasps took up the cause officially, and other clubs followed, RFU got involved etc.
They then got a PR firm involved who obviously told them in no uncertain terms that they needed to dig their heels out (notice that they abandoned the idea of asking Rowe and the members within days of appointing said PR firm).

I'm not convinced there was a financial change between that statement and the logo change - the financial change would have happened (and really hit home) when they couldn't find a new title sponsor.
Any club with an AWC trophy, 4 Premiership runner's up trophies, 2 Premiership champions trophies and a European cup trophy out of the last 6 years really ought to be able to find a better sponsor than an empty field with hopes of gaining planning permission.

We'll see what happens when the West Exe deal runs out - anyone happen to know when that is? Or even if they ARE ***le sponsor, rather than "just" a sponsor who's been given pride of place as thanks to Rowe, rather than signing that contract?
ETA: That post was August, not September, so we huddled masses didn't know about the failure to find a sponsor - as you were, then.

Last edited:
Apparently for the last couple of home games at Sandy Park the teams have run out to the Tomahawk Chop, rebranded as the Exeter Chant.

Apparently for the last couple of home games at Sandy Park the teams have run out to the Tomahawk Chop, rebranded as the Exeter Chant.
Why are you hitting yourself?

Seriously that's beyond stupid nobody hearing it will think it's anything else.

More than the last couple I think. Possibly a bit tinfoil hat, but I have heard the idea floated that now Tony Rowe has his gong, he has no reason to worry about showing himself up as a big old racist uber gammon.

Either way, it's a bit like Lee-Jackson-King day in Virginia, there's an element of plausible deniability about it, but those doing it know exactly what they're doing.

Latest posts