• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Official Pro Evolution Soccer 4 Thread

One thing I would like to see is the addition of a classic matches feature. You get 10 or so classic matches where you take over at a critical point of the match and then you get the chance to emulate or change history.

some random impressions........

Originally Posted by blamkoji of evo-web
Injury animations rule. Wiltord got injured in a match against Spain. The player who fouled him used body language for accepting the yellow card from the ref, but still worried about the injured player. Then Desailly pushes him off and attends to Wiltord. He's then carried off in a stretcher and comes back a few minutes later. Really great stuff. I love these new cut scenes.

I also like the little touches, like no calls. Ronaldinho gets taken down and makes motions like, "WHERE WAS THE CALL?!?!" DID YOU SEE THAT??!?" There are also great animations for dives.

No calls are pretty sweet. Henry gets a pass, and he's clearly offsides. All the Spain defenders raise their hands in support of an offsides call. Play goes on and he scores. The goal celebrations are 1000 times better now.

posted by dannyboy20 on PESinsight.com

The English teams are as follows:
Arsenal, Aston Villa, Birmingham, Blackburn, Bolton, Charlton, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Leeds, the team that Dabizas plays in (sorry), Liverpool, Man City, Man United (with Eagles!), Middlesborough, Newcastle, Portsmouth, Southampton, Tottemham, team that has luzhny and Ganea...isnt that all of the premiership?

I've now played the game for two days and some mates have tried who are hardcore as I am. All of us think this is the best game in the series so far, nothing feels a tad wrong like it did in WE7I for example. It all feels right.

Just a little update.. I don't know whether this is official, but when pro Evo 4 will be released they are changing Leeds United, Leciester City & Wolves & changing them to Crystal Palace, Norwich & West Brom.

I can't see that to be honest. Pro Evo squads are always 6 months out of date; I really can't see them making the effort to replace the 3 relegated teams with the 3 promoted teams.

just to confirm that rumour......

this is off pesinsight.com

Pro Evolution Soccer 4 to Have Updated Leagues

Winning Eleven 8 may have featured the teams from last seasons top divisions, but Pro Evolution Soccer 4 is set to have updated leagues. For the English sides Leeds United, Leicester City and Wolves have all been replaced in PES4 with Crystal Palace, Norwich and West Brom.

This news comes from the PESLeague finals where a playable beta version of Pro Evolution Soccer 4 was on show. The game also appeared to have much more up to date rosters. And with still 2 months to go, it's a promising sign that further updates may still occur. The slowdown is unfortunatley still there when the box becomes crowded, but this is still expected to be rectified before the final release in October.

thats wot site i got it from
<

A pretty good review here (I wont post any more - promise).....

From Christosri at pesinsight.com

Here's my review of the game after a week or so of playing:

As the hottest weekend arrives in the UK, the Charity Shield kicks off, and Alex Ferguson starts preparing his excuses for another defeat by Wenger and his band of Frenchmen, I make my annual online trip to lik-sang.com and place my order for a Japanese PS2 and the new Winning Eleven instalment. Now, I know it would work out cheaper if I just kept the Japanese Playstation 2 every year, instead of buying a new one every time, but the lure of Ebay is too strong, and besides, when the UK version of Pro Evo comes out for that year, why would one need the Japanese version, with PS2 anyway?

From about June to August, I scan the web, looking for news, screenshots, videos, forums… anything to get some info on the game that will nestle in my PS2 for the next year. Pro Evolution Soccer 3 hasn’t left the PS2’s CD bay for more than a day or so since I have owned it, so that should give you some idea of what this game means to me. It’s not just me either. Hundreds of thousands of people worship the legacy of Konami’s football games. The FIFA - Pro Evo war may rage on, but there is really only ever one winner.

And so to this year’s offering. It is noticeable immediately that they have given everything a bit of a revamp presentation wise, and the menu screens now feel polished and more FIFAfied than ever before, which is no bad thing.

After a couple of hours of going through the edit mode, and changing the Japanese names of all the major clubs to their English counterparts, and playing around with the size of Ronaldinho’s teeth (a little odd, I accept) it was off to the cup mode to try my luck as England in the International Cup campaign.

It was here that I discovered something a little alarming at first. Had I accidentally picked up a copy of Fifa 2005? Wayne Rooney was standing in the tunnel, chatting to Beckham, and both he and Sir David looked exactly like their real world counterparts. Now the Pro Evo series had always managed to achieve a general likeness for the players in most squads, but to see a near perfect recreation of our nation’s heroes in Konami’s footballing kingdom was something of a shock, albeit a very welcome one.

After parading around for a while, posing for pictures that aren’t being taken, and bopping up and down on the spot every now and again, the players were ready, and the referee (now visible though out the entire match) blew his whistle to start the first match of a long year of football. As with every instalment of the series, it felt very different at first. Slick, crisp passing was the order of the day, with a somewhat hefty percentage of said passes being pinged with the outside of player’s boots. Some lovely new animations held everything together superbly, with players launching themselves into the air and deftly flicking balls on with their favoured foot to the waiting midfielder, who would turn with grace and finesse, have a quick scout about, and launch a soaring 30 yard pass back to his defence. (I was playing it cautious ok?)

And then it happened. The first goal. James had cleanly claimed an early corner from the Czechs, (realism can never truly be reached in any video game), and by accident, I tapped the run fast button. The ball dropped to James’ feet. Somewhat surprised, I punched the circle button, and before I knew it, Gerrard had chested down the clearance facing his own goal line. A quick tap of R2 saw him spin round 180 degrees, to face the foray, and he slipped a ball out wide to Beckham who squeezed round his defender and slid the ball through to Joe Cole. Now at this moment, I should say, that whenever I play a new Pro Evo for the first time, something amazing happens that I never see again for about 8 months. This time was no exception. As Joe Cole sped towards the by line, I backed off the sprint button a little and hit circle to cross the ball in to Rooney who was loitering at the far post. Instead however, of just crossing the ball like any normal person, Joe Cole, as he would in real life, crossed his left leg behind his right and launched a fancy pants ball right on to the head of Rooney who stooped low to head beyond Peter Cech in goal. I was gob smacked. Needless to say I watched that replay again and again... That is one of the major enhancements over the old Pro Evo iterations, signature moves. Nearly every major player has his own signature animation or move which makes him easily identifiable. Be it their running style, passing technique, or positional play (Lampard is always at the edge of the box, just when you need him, to rifle a shot at the awaiting keeper) things just feel right. The match itself seems quicker, and as far as I could tell, there is no speed adjustment setting, so you do have to get used to the faster pace if you have not played the game at a higher speed setting than default before. There are plenty more tricks and flicks at your disposal, from stepovers, to feints, to quick 180 turns. Tapping R1 whilst running also stops your player dead, allowing you to survey your options before delivering that killer pass.

Free kicks have been revamped too, giving you the opportunity to involve another player. You can have him flick the ball off to the side for you to either hit or run off with, have him step over the ball and allow you to strike for goal, or fool everyone and get the player standing over the ball to take it himself. Direct and indirect free kicks have been added to, so sometimes you will need a player to roll the ball to one side if you wish to hit a shot anyway.

The game play overall has been improved, with AI reacting more realistically to your inputs. The neat little touches, such as dirtying kit, injury time boards, extra cut scenes, shirt pulling and injuries (players now have to leave the field of play before coming back) all add to the feel of the game, and Konami have made a huge step towards Fifa in this respect. There is however one negative point regarding the game play, and that is slow down. The game really does chug along at a feverish pace throughout most of the match, that is until you swing in a corner. I tend to play the game a couple of camera views away from the pitch, giving an easier view of runs on and off the ball. Konami however frown on this it would appear, as the game drops to a few frames per second for most corners when the penalty box is littered with players. Granted, this only last for a few seconds, and isn’t really THAT much of a distraction, but it certainly is something that needs to be rectified for Pro Evo 4, if they want to keep their perfect football game creating record intact.

And so to the game modes. Master League has been bolstered with new teams, leagues and options. You can now choose to start a campaign with the existing squad, so pick Liverpool, and Owen and co will be at your disposal from the off. Players earn experience points after every game, with a breakdown being shown to you after the final whistle, so you actually see the improvements in your team first hand. The transfer market has again been enhanced, and you can watch flourishing new talent or stick with the big guns as you look to strengthen your squad.

All the other usual modes are present too, from cups to leagues, and the points system is still in place, allowing you to buy new stadiums, ball effects, hair styles (!) and the like.

The edit mode is far easier to navigate now, and the transfer system is in place from the start, allowing you to switch players from one team to another with minimum fuss, a must for all Chelsea fans. You can edit everything from the names on players shirts, to the colours of the team flag, to the stadium your team plays in.

And so it would appear Konami have done it again. I had always said that id EA and Konami would combine, and produce a football game that played like Pro Evo but looked like Fifa, it would be the finest piece of software that the beautiful game deserved. Konami were obviously listening, but decided that anything EA could do, they could do better.

The ultimate football experience? So far… yes.

after wathing the videos i can am confident to say:

"THOSE BONEHEADS AT GAMEPLANET KNOW NOTHING"

for them to say FIFA 2005 wil be the best soccer game ever

I only have to look at the those videos and puzzle up those animations with the prequals gameplay to realise we are in for the biggest treat in gaming history.

If the bounce of the ball and ball pyshics in genereal doesnt wet ur pants ur a BLIND MAN.

I cant believe my own curiosity of looking into these videos has now started 3 months of anguish and impatients.

Where the MORPHINE.......i need 3 months worth.

Originally posted by ak47@Aug 11 2004, 02:34 PM
after wathing the videos i can am confident to say:

"THOSE BONEHEADS AT GAMEPLANET KNOW NOTHING"

for them to say FIFA 2005 wil be the best soccer game ever

I only have to look at the those videos and puzzle up those animations with the prequals gameplay to realise we are in for the biggest treat in gaming history.

If the bounce of the ball and ball pyshics in genereal doesnt wet ur pants ur a BLIND MAN.

I cant believe my own curiosity of looking into these videos has now started 3 months of anguish and impatients.

Where the MORPHINE.......i need 3 months worth.
I have a feeling that gameplanet is not quite as "unbiased" as they should be...........

They tend to talk up anything EA sports makes (even rugby 2004!!), and you can see the relationship between the two when they get a pretty good look at the unreleased FIFA.

Also notice that they never officially reviewed rugby 2004 (unlike SJRL), probably because they knew it was crap but didn't want to bag EA sports, and ruin the "relationship".

Some of those vids of WE look amazing though, visuals have moved up a notch (or ten), and it LOOKS like a true game of football (a little more time on the ball it seems as well)..............

After seeing those I must admit I'm feeling a little flat when I now play PES3.......roll on the next few months............

I have no feelings for PES3 anymore - I've done all there is to do and seen all there is to see.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC@Aug 12 2004, 09:43 AM
I have no feelings for PES3 anymore - I've done all there is to do and seen all there is to see.
thats what i thought

but over and over again - i see something i have never seen before
last night was no exception

a 37m goal - AN ABSOLUTE CORKER INTO THE TOP LEFT HAND CORNER

THE BALL WAS AT THE CORNER OF THE BOX AND THE KEEPER STARTED RUNNING FOR IT............MY MAN JUST GOT THERE BEFORE THE KEEPER DID AND HEAL KICKED IT BACK 15M OVER TO THE SIDELINE TO A FREE MAN (AT THIS TIME THE KEEPER STUMBLED FORWARDS INTO THE FIELD OF PLAY AFTER GETTING BEATEN TO THE BALL), ONCE I SAW THIS I ONE TIME IT RIGHT BACK TOWARDS THE GOAL, OVER EVERYONES HEADS INTO AN OPEN GOAL WITH THE KEEPER RUNNING BACKWARDS LOOKING OVER HIS SHOULDER, BUT IT WAS TOO LITTLE TOO LATE, AS THE BALL SAILED INTO THE CORNER FROM A GOOD 37M

APART FROM A PENALTY KICK FROM 31M, ITS MY BEST GOAL

Make sure u go here everyday, cos theres loads of new movies being added constantly. Make sure u see Gilberto's goal, that got to be up for goal of the season
<

Some Guy on PESInsight

Ok, had about 14 hours on the game now and am very dissapointed.

The ball in the midfield acts like a balloon, when you try and take a shot with no matter how much power it is like a brick, no matter how many times I try and place the ball it seems to go straight forward to the keeper.

Outside the box it takes that long to do the animation for a shot that the defender has time to block the shot, otherwise, it goes tamely straight to the keeper.

One on ones with the keeper are a joke, with the keeper mostly coming out on top, if you want to beet the keeper the best option is the chip shot, almost guaranteed to work.

I was impressed when i first played the game because it seemed so different from WE7I, alot more animations, but upon further play these new animations seems to hinder the game.

The long pass is also annoying, if i want to change the play I push in the direction of the opposite wing, this will then be passed to the full back and not the winger, if i try and change the direction this will then target my striker.

It seems unresponsive, taking forever to do an animation to pass the ball, by that time I am disposessed.

The fouls are a joke, brush a player and its a foul, way too picky, its like non contact.

I have scored 3 types of goals, diving header, header and chip shot, sometimes i get the odd rebound.

The pace is not there when you break clear of the defence, i am using R1 and trying to push on but its just not there, the only burst of pace i can do is when i do a step over while holding R1.

I hate to be critical because I spent £50 on the game and want to love it, but it just does not get me excited like the others did.

It feels like an ISS game and if somebody told me it was I would believe them.Ok, had about 14 hours on the game now and am very dissapointed.

The ball in the midfield acts like a balloon, when you try and take a shot with no matter how much power it is like a brick, no matter how many times I try and place the ball it seems to go straight forward to the keeper.

Outside the box it takes that long to do the animation for a shot that the defender has time to block the shot, otherwise, it goes tamely straight to the keeper.

One on ones with the keeper are a joke, with the keeper mostly coming out on top, if you want to beet the keeper the best option is the chip shot, almost guaranteed to work.

I was impressed when i first played the game because it seemed so different from WE7I, alot more animations, but upon further play these new animations seems to hinder the game.

The long pass is also annoying, if i want to change the play I push in the direction of the opposite wing, this will then be passed to the full back and not the winger, if i try and change the direction this will then target my striker.

It seems unresponsive, taking forever to do an animation to pass the ball, by that time I am disposessed.

The fouls are a joke, brush a player and its a foul, way too picky, its like non contact.

I have scored 3 types of goals, diving header, header and chip shot, sometimes i get the odd rebound.

The pace is not there when you break clear of the defence, i am using R1 and trying to push on but its just not there, the only burst of pace i can do is when i do a step over while holding R1.

I hate to be critical because I spent £50 on the game and want to love it, but it just does not get me excited like the others did.

It feels like an ISS game and if somebody told me it was I would believe them.

Me & my bro always play on sports games together & we both argreed that pro evo 3 wasn't as good as pro evo 2.

Like that guy just mentioned about WE8 the ball seems to balloon. Thats what we thought of pro evo 3. We sold pro evo 3 & we are playing pro evo 2 & we still love it after all this time!

It looks like they are turning Pro Evo series into the Arcady International Superstar Soccer. I don't understand why though, i feel they are spoiling a good series:(

Originally posted by Ripper@Aug 13 2004, 11:24 PM
Some Guy on PESInsight

Ok, had about 14 hours on the game now and am very dissapointed.

It feels like an ISS game and if somebody told me it was I would believe them.Ok, had about 14 hours on the game now and am very dissapointed.

It feels like an ISS game and if somebody told me it was I would believe them.
Jeez!!!!
<
Are you playing the same Pro Evo 4 as me???

Pro Evo 4 is so much better than Pro Evo 3 it's unreal!!!!

As for Pro Evo 2.... Ha, that's like comparing Match Day on the spectrum to Pro Evo 3!!!!

Believe me, Pro Evo 4 WILL rock your world!!!!

Latest posts