• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Offside in open play

Gary Norman

Academy Player
It's been a very long time since I've played competitively, having moved to the USA from England. I just wanted to see if I can get some clarification on being offside or onside as a number 13. I was always under the impression that once the ball was passed by the opposition scrum half down there back line, during that phase the defending backs can not be offside. Please advise anyone that can help

It depends where you started from. If you are starting from an offside position, then you can't interfere with play until you get back to the onside line of the previous ruck/maul/set piece. Pretty sure that is how it works anyway.

can you give a more specific example? have you been pinged for offside?

It depends where you started from. If you are starting from an offside position, then you can't interfere with play until you get back to the onside line of the previous ruck/maul/set piece. Pretty sure that is how it works anyway.
Unless you are running back to be inside after 10 or 15 m or something no? Didn't Tulilagi score a try like that a few years ago?

You can only be put onside by the opposition running 5m or kicking the ball. If they don't do that you have to retire back to original offside line.

It's been a very long time since I've played competitively, having moved to the USA from England. I just wanted to see if I can get some clarification on being offside or onside as a number 13. I was always under the impression that once the ball was passed by the opposition scrum half down there back line, during that phase the defending backs can not be offside. Please advise anyone that can help

Correct because the basic rule has always been to stay behind the last man's feet from the ruck / scrum / breakdown / maul. On defense, once the ball has been put into phase the defensive line is allowed to press beyond the line where the set-piece was formed, but only until the next break down in play of course.

The ref usually warns the defense when infringing on that line before the ball is in play and the touch-judges will signal to the ref if he can't / couldn't spot it.

where there is confusion is, if a ruck/mall HASN'T been formed/called by ref then there isn't an offside line but even at the highest level the ref will call offside if the opposing defence line encroaches whilst the halfback clears the ball.

Latest posts