• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

One for the props/lifter's in line outs

Murph316

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Does it ever annoy you when you see someone lifting in a line out by lifting the person by their shorts. Some lifters are afraid of a bit of "brown thumbing" as its called. To me it makes pefect sense to lift them under their arse essentially. You can lift them higher and more stabley and you dont give your man a wedgie. I dunno why some lads would think, "oh no I cant touch his arse" when more than likely their head is gonna be right beside an arse and hand by a crotch in a scrum anyway.

Totally agree! Really can't see the benefit of lifting someone by their shorts, you really loose stability and there's no avoiding that it's pretty uncomfortable being lifted like that. You might not like touching an arse but if you think I like having to prize my shorts out of mine then you're a tad deluded.

I prefer them to lift from the thighs anyway. Moar height.

I used to lift using the shorts, mainly as I felt it was more secure as I was thrown in at the deep end when it came to lifting having never been shown how to do it "properly"

Lift under the tigh just above the knee from the front, or as a coach of mine use to do was cut up strips of carpet and tape them around the jumpers tigh so ya had a nice bit of grip, and from the back two hands under the 2 cheeks (lifting this way means ya can pratically lift the jumper this way on your own nearly). That is my understanding of lifting and has never let me down.

I used to lift by the shorts as a kid. It felt easier when lifting someone much heavier. Now of course I do it correctly (which you shouldn't end up with a brown thumb...eww). Basically lifting under the two cheeks as pointed out above.

I'm always lumped with people who don't know how to lift, so I pretty much end up doing it by myself anyway. Nothing better than lifting with another prop who knows how to lift and a jumper who knows how to jump. You can get lightening quick lifts going. Back in 1st XV who was probably around 5'9'', 75kg max (not a regular prop, usually a reserve hooker) and yet me and the other prop would literally be able to launch him in the air higher than 6'3''-6'4'' jumpers, much quicker.

I was jumping in training last night, as we where short on numbers and I'm fairly light with a trampolining background, which didn't help at all (Just saying). I was wearing trackies, so didn't have the option being lifted by shorts, yet seemed to get a surprising amount of height. God knows how they were lifting me. Didn't feel comfortable at all.

Just thought I'd share that with you all.

Never where tracksuit bottoms when jumping. Lift at arse and usually jumpers have bars at front.

As having both jumped and lifted. I prefer jumping and being lifted by thighs, easier to get hight, not keen on lifting from the shorts they do creep up.

I have a few times brought my leg up and studded the rear lifters face as well, hence why I prefer jumping, till you get knocked or dropped then it's a long way down and I don't bounce well.

My mate Gaz a lock sums it up when being lifted "One in the b%M no harm done that's the way we roll". Strange breed those folk at four and five, must be the high altitude

That'd be those brown thumbs they were talking about above

Bloody forwards...

What do you call someone who hangs out with a rugby player, a back! And the brown thumbing is just a name haha.

I'm a regular jumper and lifter (although my front lifting still need some works) and I absolutely hate getting lifted/lifting by the shorts.

Less height, less speed and less comfortable.

Also for anyone who thinks they've seen a funny lift, I defy them to find something better than this:

We started lifting our man at 4 (flanker, had just started jumping) first lift of the day legs splay back and forth catches not one but BOTH props in the groin on the way up. Needless to say he left training with a couple of prop-sized dents in him.

I life both front and back and when you lift by shorts you lose a huge amount of hight. I prefer this "brown thumbing" method.

I tried lifting got a shot to the balls a few times and decided i wasn't doing that again.
I know this Brown thumbing is the right method however even if it was a bit akward for lifters when they first learned how to lift

You also tried jumping and were harder to lift than someone who ways about 4 stone more than you.

Latest posts