• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Open Play?

M

munster

I was playing a match a few weeks ago and I made an interception but I was ahead of the player on the opposition team who passed the ball and the ref gave a penalty against me for being offside. I thought since I was behind the hind most foot of the ruck, that once the ball is played it is open play and no matterwhere you run on the field you are onside until the next ruck is formed. Am I right or was I offside???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMachine @ Jan 9 2010, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was playing a match a few weeks ago and I made an interception but I was ahead of the player on the opposition team who passed the ball and the ref gave a penalty against me for being offside. I thought since I was behind the hind most foot of the ruck, that once the ball is played it is open play and no matterwhere you run on the field you are onside until the next ruck is formed. Am I right or was I offside???[/b]

Was the ball kicked at any stage?

No the ball was passed a couple of times across, I was on the wing and they had an overlap so I sprinted up, overran but he passed the ball straight into my hands...

If you were standing behind the hind most foot of the ruck until the ball was deemed "out" from the ruck by the ref then you were onside, until another ruck is formed.
Sounds like the ref was wrong.

I've had this happen to me, ****** me off <_< We were playing a practice match in training and one of the other teams players made a break, got tackled, and I came in from behind him and stole the ball as he tried to offload it. Apparently that's offside. Bullshit.

I don't think i understand where you were: If the tackle was made then it's no longer open play, you can't just go stealing the ball off the guy as he quickly offloads. You have to get back onside and attack the ball through the gate.
Or am i not understanding you properly?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Jan 11 2010, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't think i understand where you were: If the tackle was made then it's no longer open play, you can't just go stealing the ball off the guy as he quickly offloads. You have to get back onside and attack the ball through the gate.
Or am i not understanding you properly?[/b]

I was standing out on the wing. They passed the ball out through midfield and had an overlap. I came rushing up, slightly overran and just as I was about to turn around the opposition player passed the ball straight into to my hands and I got penalised for being offside.

You can't be offside unless the ball is kicked or a ruck is formed, so it sounds perfectly legal.

This however was completely illegal, f***ing Nigel Owens :%#%#: :p

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q38Uk0XVqcw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q38Uk0XVqcw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hey I was never a Connacht fan (because that ******* Monkeypigeon got there first) :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ralph Keyes about Elsom)</div>
...looked to me to be a fair bit offside but you'll have to give him the benefit of the doubt...[/b]

Why??? becuase hes playing for f****ing Leinster!!!

Watch it again... The back foot at the breakdown was 6m from the try line and Elsom retreated to 5m from the try line. Where was the offside?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 12 2010, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Watch it again... The back foot at the breakdown was 6m from the try line and Elsom retreated to 5m from the try line. Where was the offside?[/b]

The back foot of the ruck is about four metres out... but still how can Ralph Keyes say hes a "fair bit offside but give him the benefit of the doubt"???

I've overlayed the breakdown onto a screenshot of Elsoms furthest retreat, also factoring in a 1' rotation to allow for camera pan.

elsomonside.jpg

I'd say that he got it just about perfect, if not having 12-18" to spare.

I was only posting that as a joke, but Elsom doesn't retreat behind the offside line, which is at the hindmost foot of the ruck, he doesn't get near it.

O'Driscoll is the hindmost foot, Fitzgerald isn't binding & standing in a scrum half position while Horgan is acting as a flanking cover, not moving the foot backwards! ;)

People say Earls hasnt got pace... if he doesnt have pace odriscoll might aswel give up.. Earls skinned him for pace!!!

Latest posts