• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ospreys v Edinburgh

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Ospreys.png
Edinburgh.png
</div>

Edinburgh have made several changes resting key players for their trip to the Ospreys. Chris Paterson, Ben Cairns and Ross Ford are the ones to miss out.

Jonathan Thomas could be set for his return while Ian Evans could make his first start for nearly a year.

Ospreys Squad

Forwards
Duncan Jones, Cai Griffiths, Craig Mitchell, Huw Bennett, Richard Hibbard, Alun-wyn Jones, Ian Gough, Ian Evans, Jonathan Thomas, Jerry Collins, Marty Holah, Tom Smith, Ryan Jones

Backs
Lee Byrne, Tommy Bowe, Shane Williams, Nikki Walker, Andrew Bishop, Sonny Parker, Gareth Owen, James Hook, Dan Biggar, Jamie Nutbrown, Mike Phillips

Edinburgh: 15 Steve Jones, 14 Mark Robertson, 13 Nick De Luca, 12 John Houston, 11 Tim Visser, 10 Phil Godman, 9 Mike Blair (captain), 1 Allan Jacobsen, 2 Andrew Kelly, 3 Geoff Cross, 4 Craig Hamilton, 5 Scott MacLeod, 6 Scott Newlands, 7 Alan MacDonald, 8 Allister Hogg

Substitutes: Ross Ford, Ryan Grant, Steven Turnbull, Roddy Grant, Greig Laidlaw, David Blair, Ben Cairns.

If Ospreys continue from where they left off Edinburgh have no chance.

Look like it big weekend momentum going into H'Cup can make big difference

If the Ospreys are looking at continuity (that's a big 'if') then chances are Biggar will start at 10 with Hook in the centres. They have the backs that should rip Edinburgh apart. The only chance I can see for Edinburgh is to get in Biggar's face early and try to upset him, once he's in his stride he can get the O's moving. That is assuming of course Nutbrown/Phillips manage to pass the ball before a hop, skip & a jump.

15 Lee Byrne
14 Shane Williams
13 Tommy Bowe
12 James Hook
11 Nikki Walker
10 Dan Biggar
9 Mike Phillips

1 Duncan Jones
2 Richard Hibbard
3 Cai Griffiths
4 Alun-wyn Jones
5 Jonathan Thomas
6 Tom Smith
7 Marty Holah
8 Ryan Jones ©

Replacements:
16 Huw Bennett
17 Craig Mitchell
18 Ian Evans
19 Jerry Collins
20 Jamie Nutbrown
21 Gareth Owen
22 Andrew Bishop

That's one tastey looking team. It'll be intyeresting to see Bowe play a full game at 13 but this looks something like the best backline available. Forwards also look very strong so wahey.

I would say taht you're underestemating the Edinburgh side by saying they have no chance if the Sprays play well but I think Edinburgh may be weaker w/o Ford and Cairns and I think Turnbull should be starting too.

Should be a good match anyway.

Paterson missing out though makes a huge difference as that's a guaranteed 12-18 points turned into 9 at best with Godman.

For f*cks sake, Cai f**king Griffiths is playing again. Arrrrrrg. Same thing goes for Tom Smith. And again Jonathan Thomas is playing in the second row. This is what the pack should look like is the coaches had any idea:

01 Duncan Jones
02 Richard Hibbard
03 Craig Mitchell
04 Alun-Wyn Jones
05 Ian Evans
06 Jonathan Thomas
07 Marty Holah
08 Ryan Jones.

Even then, I'd be tempted to play Ben Lewis ahead of Marty Holah. Maybe we'll see a pack closer to that for the HC.

That backline is mouth watering, definately their strongest, if Hook get's his act together that is. Still waiting to see Gareth Owen get some game time, he's been on the bench practically every match without getting on the field.

Should be a good game, all depends on the forwards. Edinburough should dominate in the scrums, but the Opreys should dominate every other aspect.

Swap Holah for Collins, and that'd be my prefured pack for the HEC until Adam's fit.

Good choice to see Hook & Bowe at centre, as I suggested next week. Perhaps they listen to me? If so, then START PLAYING GARETH OWEN. Oh yeah, and winning. That would be nice.

Seriously, I don't think Gareth Owen has come off the bench this season, but I'd rate him ahead of Biggar both as a future Wales prospect and even as a fly-half, and that's his third position.

Will be a good test this one, let's see if we have more strength in depth than in the past.

Ned Kelly has looked good when he's played this year whilst the centres have looked better with Houston playing alongside either De Luca or Cairns.

Whilst we lose the kicking of Paterson we gain a more direct runner in Jones. Godman is far from poor kicking himself mind.

Newlands to 6 and MacDonald to 7 won't make a massive difference although Grant has been immense this season.

All in all, sensible changes and I don't feel any less confident because of them. That's not to say I feel confident........

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Oct 2 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Swap Holah for Collins, and that'd be my prefured pack for the HEC until Adam's fit.

Good choice to see Hook & Bowe at centre, as I suggested next week. Perhaps they listen to me? If so, then START PLAYING GARETH OWEN. Oh yeah, and winning. That would be nice.

Seriously, I don't think Gareth Owen has come off the bench this season, but I'd rate him ahead of Biggar both as a future Wales prospect and even as a fly-half, and that's his third position.[/b]
Surely you'd swap Collins for Smith??
And Owen sees himself as a 10 firstly, not thirdly. My housemate was his captain at Maesteg Youth, and he'd always played at fly-half throughout school/age levels, etc. I think he's only had a couple of chances at 10 for the O's, but if I had my way he'd be starting there ahead of Biggar, who should be getting more game time at Swansea, Neath or Aberavon right now; just like Matt Jarvis whom I hope we persevere with!! :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Oct 3 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Oct 2 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously, I don't think Gareth Owen has come off the bench this season, but I'd rate him ahead of Biggar both as a future Wales prospect and even as a fly-half, and that's his third position.[/b]
Surely you'd swap Collins for Smith??
And Owen sees himself as a 10 firstly, not thirdly. My housemate was his captain at Maesteg Youth, and he'd always played at fly-half throughout school/age levels, etc. I think he's only had a couple of chances at 10 for the O's, but if I had my way he'd be starting there ahead of Biggar, who should be getting more game time at Swansea, Neath or Aberavon right now; just like Matt Jarvis whom I hope we persevere with!! :)
[/b][/quote]
I was talknig about the 'Dream Back Row' in the post above me.

I hadn't known he played at 10 until recently, after he was covering centre and Fullback whilst Byrne was out or during the International periods. The best thing about Biggar being picked for Wales would be the fact that Owen would get a string of games in which to prov himself for the Ospreys. Dan Biggar is decent, but not much more. Certainly overrated.

Also, every comentator seems to say he's 'Not lacking in confidence' all the time- I'm taking this to mean he's slightly aragent. Hook's not the world's best game-controller, but at least he seems like a bearable chap.

Biggar isn't atall arrogant. There was an interview a while ago on Scrum V where he confessed he's very shy in the real world. However on the field, he's totally different, showing the necessary confidence needed to be a top class outside half. This is typified by his little chips over the defence, the way he bosses the forwards and his very good goal kicking. Stephen Jones doesn't lack in confidence on the field, but he also seems like one of the nicest people you could wish to meet. I'm a fan of Biggar, he maybe doesn't have the flair of Hook or even Owen, but he's in a Stephen Jones mould. He's solid in everything he does, and can threaten the defensive line to keep them quessing.

Imo, Gareth Owen is better suited for centre, where his superior strength comes into play. And it's definately where I see his future at the Ospreys. He played a starring role at 12 between Biggar and Jon Davies for Wales at under 20's. I do realise he's played the majority of his rugby at 10, as has Jason Tovey, but they were both deemed skilfull enough to move position when all three outside halves were playing for the Wales U20 team. All three were too talented to leave any of them out.

Wouldn't mind seeing him have a few games at 10 during the Autumn Internationals time where the probablility is Hook and Biggar will be with Wales. If he has some blinders, then give him more opportunities, if not then get him playing at 12. His physical attributes are totally wated at fullback, hope we don't see him play there anymore.

Fair enough about the arrogance, then. I'll take that back.

However, in terms of future prospects for the 10 or 15 slot, I'd order then Tovey>Evans>Owen>Biggar. Biggar is clearly a faster developer than Gareth Owen, and but give him a year and Owen should be making major in-roads.

Tovey reads the game better than the others, and is also an excellent kicker, passer and defender. Evans is good in defence as well, but Biggar isn't that hard to get past, and doesn't seem to be showing signs of improvment. All of them can kick well enough, but in almost every part of the game, Tovey pips the others. He is the future, no matter what positon the slot him into. (Henson was originally a 10, but is now playing at 12 or 13, and occasionally 15. Or 'Was'.)

But, anyway, nothing can be done about Biggar's selection now, and if he's the one challenging Hook at the moment, then it's him that we should be focusing on, not the one who I'd tip to challenge him in a year or two. Should be a good game, and the lack of Patternson means Edinburgh have automatically lost a good 6 points. The Ospreys might stand a chance here.

Well, Ospreys on fire. 24-10 at half time. Bowe has come off as precaution, so Bishop is on. They're looking very good, if they keep this going, it could be a masacre.

Final score of 31-10. So a bonus point win. Ryan Jones man of the match again. They're set up nicely for the HC now, if they play like that next week, they'll probably win in Welford Road. That backline functioned very well today, but it was in the pack that was impressive. They're creating fast ball, and with that the Ospreys are always gonna score plenty of tries.

Very pleasing performance, an all-round good game. A solid pack and well-worked, intricate backline moves resulting in tries.
Unfortunately this has given me great optimism for next weekend, whereas before I had none. So I will be bitterly disappointed this time next week, as opposed to indifferent towards a result I knew was coming. :(

The opening half hour was a fantastic peformance- Edinburgh weren't playing badly, the Ospreys where playing very well.

Ryan Jones seems to be the key- If he's good, the Ospreys are good. Tommy Bowe is another major part, and I felt Duncan Jones was fantastic for the half hour he was on. Moment he went off, so did the momentum. He cleared out rucks so quickly, it meant that the likes of Tommy Bowe and Lee Byrne where getting in easily.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Oct 5 2009, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The opening half hour was a fantastic peformance- Edinburgh weren't playing badly, the Ospreys where playing very well.

Ryan Jones seems to be the key- If he's good, the Ospreys are good. Tommy Bowe is another major part, and I felt Duncan Jones was fantastic for the half hour he was on. Moment he went off, so did the momentum. He cleared out rucks so quickly, it meant that the likes of Tommy Bowe and Lee Byrne where getting in easily.[/b]
How did Tommy Bowe go from being a joke at Ulster like terrible is complmenting him to Ospreys Tommy 1 of best backs in world :rolleyes:

Latest posts